PDA

View Full Version : Ruber-band man

OneWingedAngel
5/28/2004 5:09pm,
So now what do you do in this situation; grappling last night. Working on side control. We learn how to apply a kimura. Trying it on my partner, he's not tapping. Try it again, still no tap. Call over the instructor, I'm putting the lock on right.

Turns out, the guy is uber flexible. Almost every hold, no good. Kimuras. Armbars. Kneebars. Everything. We sat around for about ten minutes, trying holds on him. After repeated failure, we found two things that worked; rear naked chokes and toe holds. Imagine my frustration when we rolled later.

Eeryone in the gym also agreed that he should train for a year and then enter grappling tournaments, we're he'd have an unfair advantage because 90% of locks don't work on him.

Ka-Bar
5/28/2004 5:41pm,
I'm pretty naturally flexible, to the point where you have to take some locks pretty far before they hurt. But to be immune to Kimuras and armbars? That would 0wn.

Scrotumlock
5/28/2004 6:05pm,
Heh, he'd still have to be better overall than his opponents if he wants to do well. Getting twisted into a pretzel with a smile on your face doesn't count as a win. Flexibility didn't help Royler to win when Sak was ringing his arm dry. No he didn't tap, but he still got his ass kicked. Make sure he doesn't rely at all on this talent (it might even get him hurt when his opponent gets pissed off, switches to a more dangerous hold, and REALLY starts wrenching hard).

PS - are you sure a knee bar doesn't work? How the hell far could a human knee bend backwards... does he have any knee caps? Can he walk with legs that flimsy?

Te No Kage!
5/28/2004 7:18pm,
be sure to stretch him out, with most flexible people I have to stretch out their arms from their fingers all the way to the shoulder to get a good lock-also check your angles of rotation so you're grinding the humerus against the ulna against the bones in the wrist.

AFS
5/28/2004 7:43pm,
Girls usually can extend their elbows about 10 degrees more than man. ( Due to anatomy ).
That leaves some males a bit frustrated.

Review you technique - I find that against such guys you need to get your technique 100% right.
Otherwise use more force...

Greese
5/28/2004 8:10pm,
Yeah, you don't have your angles perfect. I have had people try and do it to me and it not work because the anlges were not right or they were not keeping my body pinned enough.

The_Ghost
5/28/2004 8:46pm,
...and here I was thinking this was about the rapper TI. damnit.

CrimsonTiger
5/28/2004 9:52pm,
Me too...and now I have the song in my head...AUGH!

Matthius100
5/28/2004 11:06pm,
I too, am flexible. You describe me perfectly. No locks hurt me and slippin' out of them is simple. But toe locks and straight out chokes will KILL me.

Stold3
5/28/2004 11:13pm,
Armbars and knee bars don't work? Bool ****.

9chambers
5/28/2004 11:30pm,
I am one of those flexible types and I know what you are saying. You may have to use a "wedge" to gain more leverage. You just slip an arm under his at the right spot to use as a wedge to get more leverage during an arm bar .. stuff like that. It has nothing to do with pulling anyone's underwear. Of course this hampers your grip on his arm.

Just don't give him any slack to use in order to turn and slip himself out. Keep your locks tight and work a wedge in there before you start sweating. He'll slip out easy if you are sweating.

Pandinha
5/28/2004 11:49pm,
I trained with another white back at the Gracie Academy that shared the same attributes.

I would have the Americana CRANKED and he wouldn't tap. I would stop thinking I'd rip his arm off.

I would have his ankle TWEAKED, and he wouldn't tap.

Worse part about both times, Rener was watching me and yelling, what is wrong with you Anthony or something like that, why can't you make him tap. For the ankle lock, I was like Rener, what am I doing wrong?

Great part about it, Rener used him to show an attack on the ankle, and it was the same outcome. Though Rener had no problem going past the point that I thought would break his ankle. Homeboy tapped really fast then.

I'm really jealous of ppl with flexiablity. Once the americana is slapped on, and the forearm goes under mine, I"m about ready to tap from it, screw the paintbrush.

DJeter1234
5/29/2004 1:36am,
americana an kimura i can choose not to tap from (unless they have it perfect), but kneebars and armbars? that would be really fun.

OneWingedAngel
5/29/2004 9:24am,
Okay, and this is the straight truth. When you knee or arm bar this guy, his joints go about 30 degrees past straight. Yes I know that's alot. Yes, I'm serious. After about 30 degrees, he will tap, but the problem we were having at that point was finding a way to keep moving his arm/leg(hard to keep pulling when his arms in your chest). Towards that end, we found the legs more vulnerable than the arms, but still, damn. Oh, and the look on the face of our instructor when he tried lock after lock and they didn't work was priceless.

CrimsonTiger
5/29/2004 9:39am,
Everyone can be barred. Some just take more than others. Of course, some have a very short "danger warning zone" before they break, so if they act tough and try to work through it, that's bad.

It's half your own mindset that inhibits you.

bunyip
5/29/2004 12:37pm,
Originally posted by OneWingedAngel
finding a way to keep moving his arm/leg(hard to keep pulling when his arms in your chest)
His arm should be on your chest throughout the armbar. If you're beginning the armbar with his arm off your chest and then pulling it to your chest, then you're doing it wrong. How much experience does your groundfighting instructor have? Compensating for flexibility by changing the angle of a lock should be automatic for a BJJ brown, maybe even a purple.

For example, during an armbar, if your opponent has hyperextendable arms, turn your body slightly so that you're more on one hip and you're facing his head. This gives you a lot more latitude to work the armbar because you're arching your back along the ground, instead of into the ground.