PDA

View Full Version : Advice for wrestler?

Sabaton_fan388
6/10/2019 11:56am,
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this thread, but here goes.
I am going into my senior year of high school, and my school may be about to start a wrestling team. I told the guy who would be one of the coaches that I would join it if they started one. I have some experience in other martial arts, but not very much. I have a lot of raw strength (425 squat, 235 bench, 275 powerclean, 440 deadlift) from football and powerlifting.
I weigh 213 or so pounds right now, and I'm six foot tall.
What advice would y'all have for me?

Sorry again if this is the wrong forum.

BJMills
6/10/2019 1:32pm,
Show up for practice. Listen to your coach.

Holy Moment
6/10/2019 1:44pm,
Show up for practice. Listen to your coach.

**** that. Here's some real advice:

HGH. All day, every day.

Holy Moment
6/10/2019 1:55pm,
Some really real advice:

Find an off-season wrestling club and start training now.

Diesel_tke
6/10/2019 3:14pm,
I am going into my senior year of high school, and my school may be about to start a wrestling team. I told the guy who would be one of the coaches that I would join it if they started one. I have some experience in other martial arts, but not very much. I have a lot of raw strength (425 squat, 235 bench, 275 powerclean, 440 deadlift) from football and powerlifting.

Best thing you can do it learn how to do a penetration step, then drill those, sprawls, footwork drills and bridges everyday till you can't do any more. You can get some footwork drills off youtube. Seriously. If your coach can give you direct instruction on some techniques go for it. Otherwise, drill those things and leave your muscle memory fresh for the coach to get where he wants it. Don't go learn a bunch of stuff that you are going to have to unlearn.

Raycetpfl
6/10/2019 4:11pm,

Well your light for 220lbs and up and heavy for 195 lbs. And under , soooo step 1: pick a weight class.

Step 2: try your best.

Step 3: try to get better everyday. Hard work beats talent in the long run.

Sabaton_fan388
6/10/2019 4:23pm,
I appreciate y'all's advice. I really hope my school starts a wrestling team, I've always wanted to test what I've learned. Wish me luck if you don't mind. Or don't, I don't believe in luck so who cares

Omega Supreme
6/10/2019 4:29pm,
Best thing you can do it learn how to do a penetration step, then drill those, sprawls, footwork drills and bridges everyday till you can't do any more. You can get some footwork drills off youtube. Seriously. If your coach can give you direct instruction on some techniques go for it. Otherwise, drill those things and leave your muscle memory fresh for the coach to get where he wants it. Don't go learn a bunch of stuff that you are going to have to unlearn.

Well your light for 220lbs and up and heavy for 195 lbs. And under , soooo step 1: pick a weight class.

Step 2: try your best.

Step 3: try to get better everyday. Hard work beats talent in the long run.

What these two said.

Sabaton_fan388
6/10/2019 4:31pm,
How do I pick a weight class? Is that even something worth thinking about right now? I'm supposed to be gaining weight for football and powerlifting, so I don't know. Appreciate all everyone's help again

Raycetpfl
6/10/2019 5:28pm,
How do I pick a weight class? Is that even something worth thinking about right now? I'm supposed to be gaining weight for football and powerlifting, so I don't know. Appreciate all everyone's help again

You just picked it bro. Keep working on getting swole. Higher weight classes are generally softer if you don't get over powered.

weight classes are important. If you want to lose weight its something you need to think about in advance. Cutting 20 lbs in a short time is very unhealthy and its something I don't think young men and women should do.

Sabaton_fan388
6/10/2019 6:21pm,
You just picked it bro. Keep working on getting swole. Higher weight classes are generally softer if you don't get over powered.

weight classes are important. If you want to lose weight its something you need to think about in advance. Cutting 20 lbs in a short time is very unhealthy and its something I don't think young men and women should do.
That makes sense. Thank you very much for your advice

Diesel_tke
6/11/2019 8:49am,

You are going to be wrestling people who are slightly above the weight class, then cut weight right before a match to get under weight. If you are the bottom of the weight class, everyone else is going to be heavier than you. Weight makes a difference when you know how to use it. But so does strength. If you are stronger than those other guys, it won't matter. I've wrestled in heavy and open before and typically was stronger than the other guys. There was a bunch of people in heavy that just want to eat what they want and not cut weight. BUT I wrestled a giant that had to cut weight to get into heavy. That mother fucker was a beast and hard to handle.

jnp
6/11/2019 12:01pm,
The importance of this cannot be overstated. Short term weight cutting is not healthy, especially for young people.