PDA

View Full Version : Interested in MMA

Stiles
5/26/2004 5:56pm,
Hello everyone,

I recently became interested in MMA and I was wondering if anyone here could give me some ideas as to what I should look for when I go to check out a class.

bunyip
5/26/2004 6:37pm,
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12695&highlight=article+hint

Look for sparring. See if there's a Straight Blast Gym near you, that would be a great place to start.

Jolly_Roger
5/26/2004 6:39pm,
Sparring in all the ranges is a good indication. Also look if there's an stablished fighter training there...

ClintEQ
5/26/2004 6:45pm,
I agree with Jolly_Roger, try to see if their are decent fighters training out of the school.

Stiles
5/26/2004 6:50pm,
The Instructor is apparently a professional fighter and even has a highlight reel on his site so I'm pretty sure he knows his stuff but is there anything I should look for regarding the way he teaches?

xero
5/26/2004 7:05pm,
Take a few classes to see if his teaching style works for you. Not everyone can teach. Make sure you train the full range of fighting.

bunyip
5/26/2004 7:06pm,
Is he receptive to questions? What's his response if someone asks why a particular move is useful, or whether it would work? Other than that, it's probably more question of whether you personally click with him.

Also, some gyms train really really hard and churn out great fighters. The tradeoff is sometimes a higher injury rate, especially at the expense of newbies and lesser fighters. You probably want to avoid these.

xero
5/26/2004 7:11pm,
Aww, those are the best. I feel going with top fighters( as i do now) makes my game so much better. I have to raise my bar just to hang tough with them. It could as you say increase injury risk but it could also make his game soar.

bunyip
5/26/2004 7:24pm,
I'm not saying to avoid gyms with good fighters, I'm saying avoid gyms that train so hard that everyone's hurting each other. Any benefits I got from a slightly raised bar at my last gym were negated by an injury that kept me out of training for six months. Same thing happened to a number of others there.

Deluxe247
5/26/2004 7:28pm,
Just be carefull of 3 year contracts, or contracts at all for that matter. And sparring is a good thing to look into as well as what type of students train there. Why not just ask some folks here if they know of any schools where you live? We have people all over the world that take part in discussions on these forums.

chaosexmachina
5/26/2004 10:25pm,
Let's see the website.

Stiles
5/28/2004 2:45am,
Originally posted by chaosexmachina
Let's see the website. http://www.canuckles.com/

bunyip
5/28/2004 1:01pm,
The website wasn't that informative. I did get the impression that this was a rather new school, which has its pros and cons. I think you'll just have to visit.

fernando
5/28/2004 2:21pm,
nice highlight vid, love the music! one my favorite songs!

i would try it out and see how the instruction and classes go
you might find that its quite different from the deadly bak mei you already practice though!

Stiles
5/28/2004 6:08pm,
Originally posted by fernando
nice highlight vid, love the music! one my favorite songs!

i would try it out and see how the instruction and classes go
you might find that its quite different from the deadly bak mei you already practice though!

I'm pretty sure it will be. ;)

bushi51
5/28/2004 11:43pm,
I liked the Highlight video. He seems to be pretty good, but can he teach? That would determine if I trained there.