PDA

View Full Version : Wanna See The Bar I Set Up At Home? No? Well Suck It, Here It Is.

Pages : [1] 2

battlefields
12/12/2018 4:11am,
I'm not saying it is anything spectacular, but it is mine and I love spending my weekends watching fight shows, drinking beer with mates, neighbours, and if no one else is around, myself, in it.

The outside looking in:

The inside looking out:

Usually open that big door up on the weekends and throw the smoker on in the driveway, next door neighbours come over and we talk ****, play music either on instruments or on the speaker, drink beer, smoke weed and eat good tucker when it is ready.

Sometimes I'll organise for the UFC to be on, where I'll get a crew over, but you Muricans don't know how good you got it with the time zones, we're watching the (prelims to the) event sometimes starting at 8-9am on Sunday morning due to the time difference, with the main event usually starting around 12-1pm Sunday afternoon. It ain't that bad, most of the time be wrapped up and ready for relax around 6pm. The missus hates it cause I get dopey after beers and weed and fall asleep in my armchair.

Anyone else got a Mancave, or home-bar, or gender-neutral-alcohol-in-abode-distribution-station that they want to share?

Diesel_tke
12/12/2018 11:28am,
Man, that's a pretty cool setup! I've got a man cave but it is all full up with ammo reloading equipment and stuff to build guns. But I like it. That's a sweet bar. Did you build it?

Dr. Gonzo
12/12/2018 11:41am,
I'm not saying it is anything spectacular, but it is mine and I love spending my weekends watching fight shows, drinking beer with mates, neighbours, and if no one else is around, myself, in it.

The outside looking in:

The inside looking out:

Usually open that big door up on the weekends and throw the smoker on in the driveway, next door neighbours come over and we talk ****, play music either on instruments or on the speaker, drink beer, smoke weed and eat good tucker when it is ready.

Sometimes I'll organise for the UFC to be on, where I'll get a crew over, but you Muricans don't know how good you got it with the time zones, we're watching the (prelims to the) event sometimes starting at 8-9am on Sunday morning due to the time difference, with the main event usually starting around 12-1pm Sunday afternoon. It ain't that bad, most of the time be wrapped up and ready for relax around 6pm. The missus hates it cause I get dopey after beers and weed and fall asleep in my armchair.

Anyone else got a Mancave, or home-bar, or gender-neutral-alcohol-in-abode-distribution-station that they want to share?
Where are the rifle safes and ammunition safes?
Hidden in the walls?

battlefields
12/12/2018 2:58pm,
Where are the rifle safes and ammunition safes?
Hidden in the walls?

Nah, if you look closely in the back corner of the first picture you will see a Jinming SCAR v2 and a Beretta standing proudly out in the open. I don't give a **** about safes and safety.

Also, they're gel blasters. This is Australia, I can only mildly inconvenience or annoy a home invader if they come into my house. Luckily the home invader is likely in the same position and I have other weapons both blunt and sharp that likely puts things back in my favour.

Bought the bar of my missus brother for 300 including the fridge, and got the beer brewing set, like EVERYTHING that would be needed, underneath too. That's about 180 bucks American.

Moenstah
12/13/2018 1:47pm,
Lighting and colour of the walls could be improved. Just saying

submessenger
12/13/2018 2:46pm,
Love the door slab on barn door hanger setup - wanted to do something like that at my last house, never got around to making it happen.

Holy Moment
12/13/2018 6:11pm,
I thought it was going to be a pull-up bar.

Lily
12/13/2018 8:36pm,
I'm not saying it is anything spectacular, but it is mine...
Thatís the most important thing.

Nope, will always have a dry house. Also kids of any age that are arseholes are banned.

battlefields
12/13/2018 9:21pm,
Lighting and colour of the walls could be improved. Just saying

Management said to wait til after the Christmas rush.

Tranquil Suit
12/13/2018 9:25pm,
At the risk of sounding demeaning, whatever happened to your dry spell?

battlefields
12/13/2018 10:54pm,
At the risk of sounding demeaning, whatever happened to your dry spell?

On the anniversary of my third year of sobriety I got pissed off at my boss for trying to light a joint wrong, lit it correctly and inhaled. That was just before my fight, 5 years ago. I was still wary of alcohol.

I didn't drink for about 9 or 10 months after that, but then went on holiday to the UK and Portugal, and in my mind I had planned for a couple of months to have a cocktail on a beach in Portugal. I ended up having my cocktail, sort of on a beach, but had some beers while watching the soccer world cup, which was fun despite not liking soccer that much. Had a couple of drinks in the UK, among some other things *sniff sniff*.

When I returned I went on a bender that was pretty epic, then kinda yo-yoed between weed and drink, hardcore training and no training.

It's been a bit of a journey, to be honest, not easy either. But all the evidence suggests the efficacy rates of abstinence and the 12 Step Programs is apparently ultra low, like, sub 5%, and that there is much better results from counselling, CBT, etc.

I will freely admit that what I did was what is known as a "geographical" in the AA circles, I moved cities and my connection with the people I got sober with and around were no longer around.

Some of the groups I went to in Brisbane didn't have the same vibe and one in particular really did my goat. There I was facing relatively big legal issues, knew practically no-one in town, and was feeling under the pump because I had a dickhead of an alcoholic housemate (there's threads on here about him), and there were this dude who took up an entire meeting complaining about the handles on his cupboards in the kitchen. In Sydney people would have told him to wrap it up after the first 5 minutes, let alone an hour. Stuff like that didn't help, despite how small and petty it is in the long run.

I think the "not out to prove anything" is a big factor, to be honest. I found when I went out with my new social circle in Brisbane, we're all fighters, or at least jits practitioners, so the ego wasn't there. We were going to wrestle and spar in the gym later anyway, no need to while out. I didn't need to puff my chest out, and being that bit older, I also didn't go out in the same way as before.

I'd changed as well. Significantly. I had fought MMA, fell into a rewarding career, was making lots of money, was picking up chicks at pace, and had this solid group of friends. I'd even repaired, as much as I could, the damage I'd done to my family. I was no longer deeply unhappy with myself and my life.

Don't get me wrong, I struggle with it to this day, but it ain't like the old days.

I was massacreing myself due to some issues that happened in the recent past (since I moved up here), particularly in 2015-17, they were rough as **** for me. The job that once made me happy because I was good at it and was making decent scratch had begun to take advantage of me, while also treating me like ****, and a girlfriend got pregnant by me, cheated on me, then told me she loved me and wanted to have the baby, then terminated the pregnancy. In combination those things really fucked me up, resulting in some vitriol you may have seen at the start of 2017 in my posting style.

I was blackout drinking a lot then, but it still wasn't "as bad" as when I was younger. At the least, there were less cops involved. In saying that, I lost my licence because I was sleeping in my car while drunk, not driving, but over here that is an offence. That's an excuse anyway, I was being a dumb **** with no regard for my safety. That was a first and a bit of a wake up call, but not enough.

Then I got hit with the monster-tonsillitis which almost killed me and put me in a coma for 10 days in June 2017. That was also a wake up call, but not enough. My physical rehab was going quite well, within the time they said it would take for me to get back to "baseline" I'd already started breaking my own weight lifting records. But that had made me arrogant and I was drinking heavily again.

Then a friend died of MS, and my step dad was given a couple of months at most to live and my arrogance stopped keeping me going and I basically hit a depression patch that I'd only really seen in the days post-coma, but without the drugs to KO me. So I started to see a counsellor, get the **** out of my head and on the table to figure out what I was putting too much mental process on.

I haven't blacked out in about a year. From about January to September I didn't drink during the work week, I re-implemented this in the past 3 weeks, fell off that for a couple of months because September was a party month for some reason. I wasn't smashing the beers during the week, but I was better off without them, more training sessions, felt better at work, more time to work on my side-projects.

I think the best thing that happened to me, though, would have been my old housemate who recently moved out. We used to drink heavily together, but in a more controlled fashion. One day, early in his tenancy, he said to me after a night out on the piss, "you just drink too fast". This resonated. Everyone in my past had told me that "I drank too much", but this slight variation made me think. He wasn't saying I can't drink as much as I want, he was saying I needed to slow it down.

I realised that all these craft beer IPA hopped to the gills beer were foul to me and I was downing them fast because I hated the taste. I realised I like my beer like I like my exes, cold and bitter, and the aftertaste like I like my *****, smooth and refreshing. So I stick to lager, I don't care if I'm not the guy talking about a goddamn ale like I'm a moustache-sporting hipster, I like what I like. I also like scotch on the rocks now, a bit different to my younger days, having grown up being a bourbon and coke kind of guy.

And since I realised that I get all sorts of messy when I mix drinks, I stopped doing that, with the benefit that I don't get hangovers anymore.

I hope that answers your question.

Tranquil Suit
12/13/2018 11:35pm,
If I told that I've been sober for 12 years, would you hate me for it?

Tranquil Suit
12/13/2018 11:46pm,
If you're having a good time, then more power to you. That said, recreational usage of something that you've been previously addicted to... it sounds risky.

battlefields
12/14/2018 12:17am,
I would never hate you, Tranquil Suit.

ghost55
12/14/2018 2:59am,
Sobriety is a meme anyways. We all die eventually.

Lily
12/14/2018 3:02am,
But don’t you want to be awake and alert for the journey?