PDA

View Full Version : What could be the shortest thread on Bullshido

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Lily
11/24/2018 5:32am,
Americans distrust of government and related institutions and their fierce protectiveness of their rights has always peripherally piqued my interest.

The question I pose here is - if you were part of these institutions:

(i) who would you choose to be (Devil proposed General Mattis but it is up to the poster to choose who)
(i) how would you erode/destroy (strategy could be the short or long game, alliances you would make, legislation you would amend etc, how you might remain under the radar or not depending on your strategy) the ability of ‘the American people’ to rise up and topple you.

I do agree with the initial side conversation on another thread that this thread is not about statistics nor about hammering out all the fine details. Call it a ‘War Games’ round table if you will - think like the enemy.

If would be great if we don’t shoot down anyone’s ideas (or counter with a ‘but we the citizens would do X...”) so as not to curb the process.

ghost55
11/24/2018 6:05am,
Implement China's social credit system over the course of a decade. That's all it would take.

Dr. Gonzo
11/24/2018 1:26pm,
It’s not complicated.

Preserve, respect, and defend the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

That is all.

Speaks Softly
11/24/2018 2:20pm,
Keep the rabble entertained with bread and circuses.

Tranquil Suit
11/24/2018 3:06pm,
Politicz r da best. Get high all the time.

BackFistMonkey
11/24/2018 3:47pm,
Implement China's social credit system over the course of a decade. That's all it would take.

You mean like this?

"Your credit score isn't a reflection of your moral character - but the Department of Homeland Security seems to think it is."
https://slate.com/technology/2018/11/dhs-credit-scores-legal-resident-assessment.html

MisterMR
11/24/2018 5:59pm,
Speaking as a non-American who is never been on the USA, I do not think that it is true that "Americans distrust of government and related institutions", in fact it seems to me - from the stuff that I read on internet and for example in this blog - that they trust their government much more than an Italian would trust the Italian government, but somehow they have a self-image of people who don't trust the government.

I'll use the example of the right of carrying weapons.
As an Italian I'm used to the idea that people do not have a particular right to carry weapons around, however many Americans (and certainly almost everyone here, although this is probably because this is a weapons/martial arts site) certainly think that carrying weapons is a right, and that it is important, in part also to protect yourself from the government.

This would seem like an example of Americans don't trusting the government. Excluded that it isn't:

If I think of an example of a government you should defend from, you can use the example of Italian fascism (or also the USSR or others, but I'll use fascism in this example).
In the case of Italian fascism, a small number of people (that incresed towards the end of the war), known as "partigiani", actually hid somewhere in the wilderness, generally in the mountains, and attacked the army and the fascist government with weapons and with what we would today call "terror attacks" (though they generally didn't target civilian population).
This is what using weapons against the government means, and the partisans only won in the end because the Allies defeated fascism, not on their own strenght.

But if you put things this way, it's evident that nobody in today's America who says that he needs weapons to defend his/her freedom does think in these terms: first of all it's obvious that just owning a gun isn't particularly useful, then we are speaking of terrorism-like activities, and most importantly if you are actually thinking than you might need to shoot "the government", this usually means shooting soldiers or policemen, so you don't want a really armed and aggressive police, something that however Americans don't seem to mind that much.

So my opinion is that, when Americans say that they need their weapons to keep their freedom from the government, well they really think it's true, but they aren't really taking the idea of fighting against the government seriously (otherwise they would act in a different way), it's more a sort of self image.

There are also other situations that come to my mind where, if Americans really didn't trust their government, they would act very differently: e.g. death penalty; but I really became convinced of this reading arguments against gun control in this blog.

So going back to the original questions of the OP:

1) Whomever as long as I can control A) the army B) the media;
2) The American people already don't have the ability to rise and topple me, at least as long as I control the army and I'm ready to spill a lot of blood.

Seriously, under a MisterMr government, when I change the laws and say that everyone has to wear a tuxedo and praise me once a week, how many people are going to plan to shoot me? How many people are going to shoot the policemen that arrest the guys who don't wear a tuxedo? They're going against the law after all, so it's normal that they are arrested.

submessenger
11/25/2018 5:45pm,
This is easy - I'm surprised Monkey didn't grab it:

I would choose to be a mass media mogul, and use my might to create megawars with disinformation.

Permalost
11/25/2018 10:13pm,
The more we get rid of our ability to provide for ourselves, the less likely we'll be able to survive without the government. We're always getting more sedentary and compliant and obese and we outsource our means to provide for ourselves whenever possible. I believe the ability to grow and hunt and cultivate and survive is more important than stockpiling guns etc that is often associated with anti-government rhetoric. So few of us know how to go about stabilizing milk into cheese, for example. So, if I were part of a shadowy government institution committed to eroding American ability to topple the government, I'd probably have a pretty laizze faire approach. Going out and actually doing something to de-revolutionize Americans is probably not necessary and trying something might just give people a reason to distrust and resist the government. I'd let the slow creep of dependence continue, maybe encourage it by finding more ways to outsource the basics by importing more cheap throwaway solutions to things we used to do ourselves.

Devil
11/28/2018 12:00pm,
Some type of destabilization of the government would likely come first. This catalyst could come in many forms. I’ve mentioned it before, but I was able to witness this exact situation first hand in Albania.

There, it was a destabilization of the government brought about by financial collapse. The government imploded financially. Military and police were no longer getting paid, so they quit and went home. The populace lost all their savings. Everybody was pissed off. There were no emergency services whatsoever. If you called an ambulance, nobody came.

In Albania, they had weapons depots, very similar to our national guard armories, which we have in every fucking town across the country. All of those were raided by civilians. Within a very short time period the lightly armed populace became the heavily armed populace.

This is just one example of how **** could go. We are not safe from the possibility of financial collapse at all, and financial colllapse is only one potential catalyst.

Devil
11/28/2018 12:03pm,
As a side note, my good friend and I already know which armory we’re attacking in the event of the zombie apocalypse. If **** pops off, we’re going straight there and getting stocked up like The Terminator.

If fighting happens, I’m going to be fighting with belt fed machine guns and armored vehicles.

In fact, I have a plan in the back of my head to organize and arm my neighborhood and quickly spread our sphere of influence outward, providing strength and stability. When governments collapse, tribal warfare happens, and if that happens, you want to have the most organized and well equipped tribe. You need to be prepared to BE the police when there is none.

Diesel_tke
11/28/2018 2:44pm,
As a side note, my good friend and I already know which armory we’re attacking in the event of the zombie apocalypse. If **** pops off, we’re going straight there and getting stocked up like The Terminator.

If fighting happens, I’m going to be fighting with belt fed machine guns and armored vehicles.

In fact, I have a plan in the back of my head to organize and arm my neighborhood and quickly spread our sphere of influence outward, providing strength and stability. When governments collapse, tribal warfare happens, and if that happens, you want to have the most organized and well equipped tribe. You need to be prepared to BE the police when there is none.

Some select friends and my family have our eyes on a Super Wal-Mart that we will take over for a while.

submessenger
11/28/2018 3:01pm,
Some select friends and my family have our eyes on a Super Wal-Mart that we will take over for a while.

Great call. Some guns (depending on your location), plenty of ammo, and provisions out the ass, plus enough shelter for a small town's worth of survivors. Should be a waystation in any prepper's planning.

Diesel_tke
11/28/2018 3:15pm,
Great call. Some guns (depending on your location), plenty of ammo, and provisions out the ass, plus enough shelter for a small town's worth of survivors. Should be a waystation in any prepper's planning.

Yep, that was my thinking. So I've got enough friends and family in on it that we can cover all of the exits in shifts and defend from invasion. I would think the piles of bodies around it will eventually deter people until the resources are depleted and we have to move to our secondary location, which I also have figured out.

Lily
11/28/2018 3:18pm,
Last five posts aren’t answering the question. You guys are leaping straight into ‘how do defend’ before you can tell me how such a situation would arise.

Diesel_tke
11/28/2018 3:23pm,
Last five posts aren’t answering the question. You guys are leaping straight into ‘how do defend’ before you can tell me how such a situation would arise.

Oh, sorry. That's easy. We don't have to do anything, just wait for the tribulation to start. And to answer your other question, I chose to be me. I wouldn't trust my family with anyone else.