PDA

View Full Version : Jubo Septics (4 RBSD)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

remington50
11/16/2018 9:33am,
I was at a gun shop the other day and listened in on a discussion about various self defense “arts.” I listened as the guy wrote off a few arts for “self defense.” Stating they just weren’t realistic (boxing was another) for any real confrontation. I’m sure we have all seen the video of the French Boxer whipping the hell out of 4 guys. So. As always? Depends on the person.

But I got to thinking. As a conceptual? Which is probably what this guy THOUGHT he was talking about. Judo has limitations. But then? Does anyone see an issue with learning to trip/sweep/throw people in an engagement? I’d personally rather knock someone down than try to fight. Anyone here “skeptical” of something like Judo for self defense?

This may be in the wrong thread. Shrug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesel_tke
11/16/2018 11:53am,
Throwing someone on concrete tends to stop confrontations pretty quick.

In before YMAS*

BKR
11/16/2018 12:15pm,
I was at a gun shop the other day and listened in on a discussion about various self defense “arts.” I listened as the guy wrote off a few arts for “self defense.” Stating they just weren’t realistic (boxing was another) for any real confrontation. I’m sure we have all seen the video of the French Boxer whipping the hell out of 4 guys. So. As always? Depends on the person.

But I got to thinking. As a conceptual? Which is probably what this guy THOUGHT he was talking about. Judo has limitations. But then? Does anyone see an issue with learning to trip/sweep/throw people in an engagement? I’d personally rather knock someone down than try to fight. Anyone here “skeptical” of something like Judo for self defense?

Learning Judo is a decent base for self defense, but, like anything else, it will take a long time to be able to use it effectively in a serious encounter. Judo lacks striking, obviously.

Personally, I think that anything that touts itself as the be-all and end all of H2H that does not integrate striking and grappling with specific emphasis on self defense, and does not require long-term commitment is full of ****.

And integrating non-lethal and lethal methods as well, for that end of the use of force spectrum.

BackFistMonkey
11/16/2018 12:16pm,
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
MABS --------------------> YMAS

Please read the forum descriptions. Nothing about this thread fits in MABS.

submessenger
11/16/2018 12:41pm,
A poorly executed throw or trip will probably allow you to get away to fight another day. In the end, that's the goal of self defense: living. "Winning," should not be a consideration.

These were gun guys, so their go-to answer is lead-assisted ventilation. I'm willing to bet none of the conversants had dropped somebody with a firearm, though. In theory, it works; but in reality, if you can avoid killing somebody, that is always the better option.

BKR
11/16/2018 12:53pm,
A poorly executed throw or trip will probably allow you to get away to fight another day. In the end, that's the goal of self defense: living. "Winning," should not be a consideration.

These were gun guys, so their go-to answer is lead-assisted ventilation. I'm willing to bet none of the conversants had dropped somebody with a firearm, though. In theory, it works; but in reality, if you can avoid killing somebody, that is always the better option.

I agree. I've never dropped anybody with a firearm, and I hope I never have to.

It does take training though to do H2H stuff effectively enough to even just get away.

So much macho bs associated with firearms for SD...

DCS
11/16/2018 12:58pm,
I was at a gun shop the other day and listened in on a discussion about various self defense “arts.” I listened as the guy wrote off a few arts for “self defense.” Stating they just weren’t realistic (boxing was another) for any real confrontation.

So a bunch of obese wankers in camo and tacticool paraphernalia were saying arts like Judo and Boxing are no realistic?

Fascinating.

Diesel_tke
11/16/2018 1:12pm,
It does take training though to do H2H stuff effectively enough to even just get away.

So much macho bs associated with firearms for SD...

Anyone who is training for self defense should have a day where they are allowed to spar in a self defense scenario. Which, by the way are my favorite. Set up tables, chairs, and wear street clothes including shoes, flip flops, or boots. The clothes you normally wear. It's pretty fun and good practice.

remington50
11/16/2018 1:18pm,
So a bunch of obese wankers in camo and tacticool paraphernalia were saying arts like Judo and Boxing are no realistic?

Fascinating.

Nope. No tacticool gear or camo. Unless you count wearing a holstered gun. I don’t because they work in a gun shop and probably should carry lol.

submessenger
11/16/2018 1:25pm,
Anyone who is training for self defense should have a day where they are allowed to spar in a self defense scenario. Which, by the way are my favorite. Set up tables, chairs, and wear street clothes including shoes, flip flops, or boots. The clothes you normally wear. It's pretty fun and good practice.

Highly recommend this, done it a couple of times. Go to Goodwill, grab some cheap clothes, and hit the mats.

ghost55
11/16/2018 1:39pm,
Nope. No tacticool gear or camo. Unless you count wearing a holstered gun. I don’t because they work in a gun shop and probably should carry lol.

Woosh

NeilG
11/16/2018 1:56pm,
I read this thread title as American judoka.

BackFistMonkey
11/16/2018 2:01pm,
I read this thread title as American judoka.

Thanks I worked hard to get it just right.

Raycetpfl
11/16/2018 2:23pm,

Indeed. Even if you're in the right a trial attorney is at minimum $200 an hour. Looking at 50 hours of work I figure if things go just a little sideways with the DA assuming you were in the right.
I have no desire to spend that kind of cash just because it's legal.

Raycetpfl
11/16/2018 2:28pm,

Shooting people is at very least a lot of paperwork. I hate paperwork.

Sending someone to the ground hard will generally take the mustard out of them. Mounting someone and punching them until they go unconscious always does.

BKR
11/16/2018 2:38pm,

Do you also have them have a few beers/hits too ?