PDA

View Full Version : Another Shooting-Wisconsin

Pages : [1] 2

BKR
9/21/2018 7:25pm,
Another possible mental case got a handgun and shot up workplace, on September 19th...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/21/wisconsin-workplace-shooting-suspect-had-revoked-gun-permit.html

hungryjoe
9/21/2018 8:06pm,
Maybe a new thread needs to be created in, say, the armory wherein these mass shootings are posted. At this rate it'll be a megathread within a year.

The article linked shows ATF is having a problem tracing the history of the gun used prior ownership.

edit

To BKR's "possible mental". Guy was buggy as hell. Disconnected all the electrical equipment in his apartment cause the people below were listening to him. That's tin foil hat crazy.

Bneterasedmynam
9/21/2018 8:19pm,
Maybe a new thread needs to be created in, say, the armory wherein these mass shootings are posted. At this rate it'll be a megathread within a week.

The article linked shows ATF is having a problem tracing the history of the gun used prior ownership.

edit

To BKR's "possible mental". Guy was buggy as hell. Disconnected all the electrical equipment in his apartment cause the people below were listening to him. That's tin foil hat crazy.

Fixed.

Dr. Gonzo
9/21/2018 8:21pm,
Maybe a new thread needs to be created in, say, the armory wherein these mass shootings are posted. At this rate it'll be a megathread within a year.

edit

Yeah, but it is also true.
We are being domestically, indiscriminately spied upon.
By our own Federal government, Democrat and Republican administration alike,
in violation of our own Constitution and Bill of Rights.
Everything we opposed in the Cold War, regarding the Soviet Union, and the Big Brother KGB, 1984, and all that, we have now become.
Ironic, isn't it...
At least to me.

hungryjoe
9/21/2018 10:23pm,
Everything we opposed in the Cold War, regarding the Soviet Union, and the Big Brother KGB, 1984, and all that, we have now become.
Ironic, isn't it...
At least to me.

I do agree. I've had enough video conferences on projects wherein key words of ballistic, explosive, protection and others in conversation may well have me red flagged. Should the government look further they should focus on protection.

Jebus Christ. Laparoscopic surgical tool or world's most expensive roach clip. Protective recruiting station cubicle / curtain or terrorist clothing. I've done a fair amount of work on the back face signature for protective vests at the behest of the material sciences of a local university. How does Uncle Sam's various agencies look at this? I hope by the entirely of the information they've gathered. Still, takes one government schill to make me a target for a further look.

hungryjoe
9/21/2018 10:29pm,
Fixed.

Quoted verbatim. You fixed nothing but I await, breathlessly, your actual intended play on my post.

W. Rabbit
9/22/2018 9:02pm,
Ironic, isn't it...
At least to me.

Ironic is that Google and Amazon know WAY more about you than the Feds do, and you pay them for the privilege.

W. Rabbit
9/22/2018 9:04pm,
I do agree. I've had enough video conferences on projects wherein key words of ballistic, explosive, protection and others in conversation may well have me red flagged. Should the government look further they should focus on protection.

Jebus Christ. Laparoscopic surgical tool or world's most expensive roach clip. Protective recruiting station cubicle / curtain or terrorist clothing. I've done a fair amount of work on the back face signature for protective vests at the behest of the material sciences of a local university. How does Uncle Sam's various agencies look at this? I hope by the entirely of the information they've gathered. Still, takes one government schill to make me a target for a further look.

Yeah but isn't it funny how the only real trouble you've gotten is from a private-sector dumbass who claims to be an actual killing machine.

People complain about airport security too, another massive invasion of privacy but one everyone has to live with. It stops a lot of attacks, but people will always complain.

I get stopped for extra searches all the time for RBF. That goes for everywhere there is a security gate.

Bneterasedmynam
9/22/2018 10:45pm,
Quoted verbatim. You fixed nothing but I await, breathlessly, your actual intended play on my post.

Read it again. Oh and LOL.

Dr. Gonzo
9/22/2018 10:49pm,
Ironic is that Google and Amazon know WAY more about you than the Feds do, and you pay them for the privilege.

If Google and Amazon know it about you, then so do the Feds.

W. Rabbit
9/23/2018 12:43am,
If Google and Amazon know it about you, then so do the Feds.

Google is pretty notorious about limiting federal access to their data and infrastructure (not to mention, not showing up to testify in Congress recently).

Amazon is even worse, a bunch of wise guys.

Still, the data mining Google and Amazon can do puts the federal government to shame, based on what's publicly known. I mean the number of data feeds each of these get about everything puts the surveillance scale to shame. Everything you do might be recorded online, but it's the media and product giants who are gathering it all, creating highly nuanced profiles about everyone here, and feeding it to AI and who knows what else.

Not that the feds even need to go to either to get your traffic, but to get the data analytics which is way more valuable, they do need to work with the private sector and in most cases, the private sector is regulated by privacy law. Not to mention, simply encrypting ecommerce traffic sets the US government back quite a bit in terms of cost-effectiveness.

They can't act so much like big brother in the current legal framework, especially in multinationals that need to comply with both US and non-US-regulations. This was a big part of why the EU gave up on Safe Harbor privacy rules...no more blind trust.

submessenger
9/23/2018 12:09pm,

Woah, there, champ. You're starting to sound like Trump:
https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/2018/09/22/draft-order-for-trump-would-crack-down-on-google-facebook#gs.vJ6cFkE

Dr. Gonzo
9/23/2018 2:14pm,
Google is pretty notorious about limiting federal access to their data and infrastructure (not to mention, not showing up to testify in Congress recently).

Amazon is even worse, a bunch of wise guys.

Still, the data mining Google and Amazon can do puts the federal government to shame, based on what's publicly known. I mean the number of data feeds each of these get about everything puts the surveillance scale to shame. Everything you do might be recorded online, but it's the media and product giants who are gathering it all, creating highly nuanced profiles about everyone here, and feeding it to AI and who knows what else.

Not that the feds even need to go to either to get your traffic, but to get the data analytics which is way more valuable, they do need to work with the private sector and in most cases, the private sector is regulated by privacy law. Not to mention, simply encrypting ecommerce traffic sets the US government back quite a bit in terms of cost-effectiveness.

They can't act so much like big brother in the current legal framework, especially in multinationals that need to comply with both US and non-US-regulations. This was a big part of why the EU gave up on Safe Harbor privacy rules...no more blind trust.
National Security agencies have been flowing like water around such restrictions for a couple decades (at least, we both know its been...always).
Occasionally they get caught.
They change their methods.
Occasionally some, usually small ISP or tech company, has the balls to challenge the demand method of the day in court, and wins, and then the large tech companies find their balls for a while.
Then the National Security agencies change their methods again.
It's scary and difficult to take on the US government, and their full powers, even when, and perhaps especially when the government is breaking the law.
Ironically, as you know, often, it usually takes very small independents and networks of them, to provoke a situation where the larger players admit they know, or realize,
and then take any actions to comply with the law by not complying with government demands except when legal to do so.
It's a conundrum.
The people receiving the demands face the choice of breaking the law by complying, or risk being treated as if they are breaking the law by not complying.
And, there are certain perceived and sometimes real rewards to being on the right side of the agencies making the requests.
Again, quite a conundrum.
And the agencies can make the argument they are operating for the greater good.
Again, quite a conundrum.

Still, the data mining Google and Amazon can do puts the federal government to shame, based on what's publicly known. I mean the number of data feeds each of these get about everything puts the surveillance scale to shame.
I agree the off loading of data gathering is a major asset for the government,
and a major asset for the companies themselves.
Lot of Big Brothers running around out there.
The question is, who is the Biggest Big Brother of them, all?
It may be more fluid then we routinely think about.

Diesel_tke
9/24/2018 3:44pm,

Week vs year.

W. Rabbit
9/24/2018 8:13pm,
Woah, there, champ. You're starting to sound like Trump:
https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/2018/09/22/draft-order-for-trump-would-crack-down-on-google-facebook#gs.vJ6cFkE

He's only half-wrong.

I'll start talking like Trump when I stop caring about accuracy.

W. Rabbit
9/24/2018 8:15pm,
The question is, who is the Biggest Big Brother of them, all?

Putin. That's why Edward Snowden is still sitting in his country, and everyone is so worried about American intelligence services rather than the network of ex-Soviet oligarchs claiming your future(s).

Facebook and other platforms are just part of his chessboard, don't you see? Millions of pawns, millions of knights, millions of bishops. Even a king and queen.