PDA

View Full Version : Politicians give terrible graduation speeches, but blame the students

Wounded Ronin
7/01/2018 9:58am,
Politico has an article where people claim that the reason that politicians give terrible lowbrow speeches at graduations now is because it's the students' fault.

For politicians on college campuses in recent years, said Smith, a former speechwriter for President Gerald Ford, “I think they’re all too sensitive to a cynical generation of students that are hooked on text messaging and fast messages and 90 seconds of a news story and no more, so they’re trying to adapt to that, instead of creating an expectation in their audience for a much better speech to celebrate their graduation.”

Ted Widmer, who was a speechwriter in the Clinton White House, said, “It is increasingly rare that we hear a genuinely new thought in one of these things. It’s been a while.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/01/graduation-speeches-2020-elections-689499

What a load. During one of my graduations many years ago Bill Clinton came and spoke. I can't remember what he said. It was totally boring. He was at the height of his popularity then and we know in hindsight that he probably charged like $250K for that speech and it contributed to all the graduates' student loan debt.

Then I remember as everyone was leaving there was one crazy-looking guy not affiliated with the event trying to tell everyone that Clinton was some kind of sex offender. And of course, sadly, as history has shown, that supposed crazy guy everyone was ignoring might not have been too far from the truth.

But no, blame the students. It's all their fault. It has nothing to do with the current quality of our politicians or the uninspired, mercenary nature of tired graduation speeches. Point the finger at the customer who is taking on that much more student loan debt to pay for that speech whether or not they attend or wanted to hear it in the first place.

MisterMR
7/01/2018 11:56am,
To me the real question is, why do politicians give graduation speaks?

I mean, it looks more as a stage for tho politician to increase his image than as an actual service for the graduates.

(note: when I graduated in Italy 20 years ago we didn't have a collective graduation ceremony, but some universities in Italy today do).

Bneterasedmynam
7/01/2018 2:08pm,
To me the real question is, why do politicians give graduation speaks?

I mean, it looks more as a stage for tho politician to increase his image than as an actual service for the graduates.

(note: when I graduated in Italy 20 years ago we didn't have a collective graduation ceremony, but some universities in Italy today do).

I mean, you basically answered your own question.