PDA

View Full Version : Karate combat

Pages : [1] 2

Kravbizarre
5/17/2018 6:24pm,
They say in 1993 the martial arts world changed when the first UFC was hosted. It changed for varyous reasons most notable people began to question what works and what was mystical fantasy. Thanks to the storm that MMA is looks like karate has taken a positive step in the competative scene with ‘Karate Combat’. 2 karateka’s fight in a pit, its a notch above knock down and 1 below MMA. The 2 videos im posting will give you the info and visials you need.

Link 1. Joe rogan and bas rutten discuss the rules and features of this new promotion (spoiler, bas rutten is involved and has a some pull in what they allow): https://youtu.be/SdkJrPFQB6E

Link 2. Actual fight footage: https://youtu.be/GAEUW42XKNk

This going to open doors for alot of people. New talent pools and more traditional guys making the jump to mma.

Sovvolf
5/17/2018 7:04pm,
They say in 1993 the martial arts world changed when the first UFC was hosted. It changed for varyous reasons most notable people began to question what works and what was mystical fantasy. Thanks to the storm that MMA is looks like karate has taken a positive step in the competative scene with ‘Karate Combat’. 2 karateka’s fight in a pit, its a notch above knock down and 1 below MMA. The 2 videos im posting will give you the info and visials you need.

Link 1. Joe rogan and bas rutten discuss the rules and features of this new promotion (spoiler, bas rutten is involved and has a some pull in what they allow): https://youtu.be/SdkJrPFQB6E

Link 2. Actual fight footage: https://youtu.be/GAEUW42XKNk

This going to open doors for alot of people. New talent pools and more traditional guys making the jump to mma.

I'm kind of happy with this. It's nice to see traditional martial arts take the full contact competition route.

Bneterasedmynam
5/18/2018 3:27pm,
I'm kind of happy with this. It's nice to see traditional martial arts take the full contact competition route.

Pretty sure they used to do that especially in the 70's and early 80's. The real problem with so called "traditional" martial arts is that they have been exploited by those who want to run belt factories. It's also contagious so don't expect BJJ or any other art to not go soft for a few bucks.

Raycetpfl
5/18/2018 3:33pm,
Pretty sure they used to do that especially in the 70's and early 80's. The real problem with so called "traditional" martial arts is that they have been exploited by those who want to run belt factories. It's also contagious so don't expect BJJ or any other art to not go soft for a few bucks.

You mean like a guy like Rigan Machado giving out belts to undeserving people that have never sparred live per his own words?

ghost55
5/18/2018 3:39pm,
You mean like a guy like Rigan Machado giving out belts to undeserving people that have never sparred live per his own words?

Remember the Gracie Academy Online Blue Belt program?

Sovvolf
5/18/2018 4:14pm,

Okay. Would "Going back to their routes" be more accurate.

IMightBeWrong
5/19/2018 12:20am,
I watched this after Joe and Bas talked about it as well. I like it. I think it’s got more evolution to go through to catch up but it’s a very positive step.

Kravbizarre
5/19/2018 4:13am,
Joe mentioned mma should be in an open area as the cage can be used as a tool to pin an opponent or help escape, thats why he likes the pit. Im inclined to agree. Plenty of room, there are ‘corners’ and inclines which are not a desirable fighting area but its not going to make a massive impact like just say a cage or square ring. It would be purely fighting technique, with rings ect people will work a strategy to corner somone or put them on the ropes/cage wall.

This pit brings fighting in a more primal form. You, the other guy and a large space. Duke it out. Also the biometric stuff is pretty cool.

BJMills
5/19/2018 9:14am,
They need to open it up to add elbows and knees. And leg kicks. Otherwise it’s going to evolve into PKA kickboxing.

Ulsteryank
5/20/2018 5:06am,
Big John and Joe talked more about the arenas recently. I think the pit looks cool. The no hooks is already sketchy, but I'm not a fan of the no leg kicks. It's like a different avenue beyond point fighting, but not knock down Karate.

It's always good to have options, but why not just kickbox in a Gi then? Hadouken!

Sovvolf
5/20/2018 6:58am,
Big John and Joe talked more about the arenas recently. I think the pit looks cool. The no hooks is already sketchy, but I'm not a fan of the no leg kicks. It's like a different avenue beyond point fighting, but not knock down Karate.

It's always good to have options, but why not just kickbox in a Gi then? Hadouken!

Think Bas got a message during the interview saying they've allowed hooks now.

Watched a few fights today. I enjoyed it. The camera work is pretty good. Think it helps not having the cage constantly in the way.

Though to answer "why not kickbox in a gi" I guess once you jump down that slope it's just another kickboxing tournament as opposed to a pure karate tournament. Which I like, it's like you say it's another avenue beyond point fighting. To me it's for people that want to do pure karate but want to be able to test it in a full contact environment. So far the only mainstream way to really test that is to go Kyukushin or go to a K1 show where you've now had to adapt the style into... Well kickboxing.

Kravbizarre
5/20/2018 10:28am,
Ok so just to clarify on a few questions. Long hooks are allowed, hooks from up close boxing style are not allowed.

Knees and elbows are not allowed for the same reason RIZIN FF doesnt have elbows, purely to reduce chances of big cuts and having blood everywhere.

Leg kicks below the knee are allowed, inner thigh kicks are not.

Why not kickbox in a gi? Well this allows throws and take downs and 5 seconds of ground+pound before resetting to standing.

The ruleset will be fine tuned but basically the concensus is having a competition format that isnt piss weak but still keeping it karate.

BJMills
5/20/2018 12:42pm,
They should add have them wear elbow pads and allow knees to the body if they want to avoid blood.

There’s YouTube footage of full contact style karate matches where they do this. I’m too lazy to find it right now, but it’s out there.

ghost55
5/20/2018 7:09pm,
All of these weird restrictions are in place to prevent kyokushin fighters from dominating the sport as they rightfully should.

Permalost
5/21/2018 10:05pm,
Why do you guys want it to be muay thai?

ghost55
5/21/2018 11:38pm,
It bans legitimate karate technique. Kyokushin should claim its' rightful throne.