PDA

View Full Version : Time till Black Belt

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Yoshinkai
5/09/2018 5:22pm,
Hi everyone

I have a serious question Iíve been doing some research into BJJ recently and everything Iíve read indicates 10 plus years for shodan.

Iíve also read thatís itís almost impossible to gain if you donít compete.

Iím 48 lol and have no interest in competition and donít want to be 60 lol when I get my shodan.

I recently found this on the IBJJF

White Ė no minimum time
Blue Ė 2 (two) years
Purple Ė 1 (one) year and a half
Brown Ė 1 (one) year

So assuming 2 years for white to blue thatís still only 6.5 years

My question how much of this is schools selling the mystic and keeping students on the hook longer.

Osu
Mike

BKR
5/09/2018 5:29pm,
Shodan is not a rank in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. They just call it black belt AFIK. Plus, you have not asked a question related to technical aspects of advanced grappling, so this will likely get moved.

BKR
5/09/2018 5:31pm,
Hi everyone

I have a serious question Iíve been doing some research into BJJ recently and everything Iíve read indicates 10 plus years for shodan.

Iím 48 lol and have no interest in competition and donít want to be 60 lol when I get my shodan.

White Ė no minimum time
Blue Ė 2 (two) years
Brown Ė 1 (one) year

My question how much of this is schools selling the mystic and keeping students on the hook longer.

Osu
Mike

If you plan on getting a legit black belt in BJJ, it's going to take a while, and a whole hell of a lot of work. Multiple days per week for several years, especially if you don't plan to compete.

DCS
5/09/2018 5:36pm,
YMAS please, ASAP

NeilG
5/09/2018 5:45pm,
Black in BJJ is a solid instructor's rank. If your goal is to tie a black belt around your waist in a short time, pick some other martial art. You could probably do it in 5 years or so in judo if you were serious about it.

jnp
5/09/2018 5:51pm,
Hi everyone

White Ė no minimum time
Blue Ė 2 (two) years
Brown Ė 1 (one) year

Osu
Mike
Are you training to learn a martial skill or to wear a black colored cloth around your waist? If the answer is the former, then who cares how long it takes?

That timeline to earn the next belt that you posted doesn't apply to normal people. It's typically more like this,
Blue belt - 1 to 2.5 years
Purple belt - 2 to 4 years
Brown belt 2 to 3 years
Black belt 1.5 to 3 years

So it could take as little as 6.5 years for a devoted and talented student who trains at least 5-6 times a week, or as much as 12.5 years for a hobbyist.

Take me for example, I've been training for 17 years in BJJ and still don't have a black belt. That's mostly because I suck though.

You do not have to compete to earn your black belt, although it generally speeds up the process if you do.

Yoshinkai
5/09/2018 6:04pm,
Sorry what is YMAS?

DCS
5/09/2018 6:06pm,
Sorry what is YMAS?

Where dead horses go to die twice, and **** posts rise from the ashes to become **** phoenixes. Lightly moderated, for blatantly obvious idiocy and NSFW or illegal content.

NeilG
5/09/2018 6:07pm,
Sorry what is YMAS?
"Your Martial Art Sucks", the name of the sub-forum this thread was moved to.

BKR
5/09/2018 6:07pm,
Sorry what is YMAS?

YMAS = Your Martial Art Sucks

You posted a non-advanced grappling question in the advanced grappling forum.

cualltaigh
5/09/2018 6:09pm,

Osu
Mike

Let me put it this way. I've been training BJJ for six years (JJJ for 3.5 years before that), I'm currently ranked equal 3rd in Australia for Purple Adult no-gi and can wipe the floor with black belts from pretty much all other martial arts. A BJJ black belt that competes and has taken 10 years to earn their rank will still have their way with me. 10 years is not a long time to attain that level of mastery, it's actually reasonably quick.

jnp
5/09/2018 6:27pm,
Sorry what is YMAS?
Some of the sub-forums on this website are lightly moderated. Some are heavily moderated for content like the Technique fora. You just happened to post a rather general question in the most heavily moderated forum on this site. The fora that are more heavily moderated generally have threads that always remain at the top of the forum list that list the guidelines for posting in them. They are called Stickies. Please read them if you see them.

BackFistMonkey
5/09/2018 6:52pm,
Hi everyone

I have a serious question I’ve been doing some research into BJJ recently and everything I’ve read indicates 10 plus years for shodan.

I’ve also read that’s it’s almost impossible to gain if you don’t compete.

I’m 48 lol and have no interest in competition and don’t want to be 60 lol when I get my shodan.

White – no minimum time
Blue – 2 (two) years
Purple – 1 (one) year and a half
Brown – 1 (one) year

So assuming 2 years for white to blue that’s still only 6.5 years
As stated before that is if you are a naturally athletic and highly motivated individual who catches on fairly quickly.

My question how much of this is schools selling the mystic
Absolutely none.

and keeping students on the hook longer.

Osu
Mike
BJJ is an alive art, you are not just learning and fine tuning something familiar but mastering a skill set that is alien for most people. Most people have a vague idea about how a punch works, they know how to stand up and know they are supposed to try and avoid being punched or kicked. Few people outside of grapplers know how to move on the ground and most people have no idea how to avoid a submission much less understand the hierarchy of position and why there is a hierarchy. After that there is a literal metric buttload of hands on techniques with imperial assloads of details you just have to work within an alive environment to make work.

sweats
5/09/2018 6:55pm,
I've trained recreationally in BJJ for 13 years. I'm not a competitor, never have been. Still not a black belt.

Realistically, I don't expect I ever will be.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Raycetpfl
5/09/2018 7:03pm,
Hi everyone

I have a serious question I’ve been doing some research into BJJ recently and everything I’ve read indicates 10 plus years for shodan. Its Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu we dont have shodan. We have Pareta' faxa, if you wanna geek out in another language.

I’ve also read that’s it’s almost impossible to gain if you don’t compete. you dont have to compete but you should. You will at very least have to complete in class, but you should do legit competition.

I’m 48 lol and have no interest in competition and don’t want to be 60 lol when I get my shodan. Dont worry most never get it :-p. A Bjj black belt is like a Doctorate in breaking people. The level of knowledge and ability needed isnt really comparable to any other marital art. A purple belt in bjj is like a black belt in any other.
A black belt in Gracie Jiu Jitsu is a bad Mother Fucker.

White – no minimum time
Blue – 2 (two) years
Brown – 1 (one) year

So assuming 2 years for white to blue that’s still only 6.5 years.

I got mine in 7.5ish. That's training 2-6 hours a day, 5-7 days a week. Watching video,reading about techniques for 3-4 hours a day 7 days a week and I medal every time I compete.
A friend of mine got his in 5 years by doing 2 a days 7 days a week for 5 years. He's a UFC fighter and a literal force of nature.(hes better than me) [/quote]

Osu
Mike
Lol mystic...... my magic power is I can strangle normal people at will and I dont quit.
It doesn't take years to get a belt. It takes hours on the mat.
It's not about who's best. It's about who's left. -Prof. Chris Hauter

Dr. Gonzo
5/09/2018 7:32pm,
Hi everyone

I’m 48 lol and have no interest in competition and don’t want to be 60 lol when I get my shodan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH-mUOdxnKg

White – no minimum time
Blue – 2 (two) years
Brown – 1 (one) year

Guidelines for minimum time in grades (minimums!).

Osu

Why stop with saying "osu" or "oss"?
You could eat Acai bowls even though they are usually sugar bombs,
Deliberately cauliflower your ears,
Adopt questionable business practices,
Buy expensive gi's and expensive rash guards,
etc, etc.