PDA

View Full Version : STOP PULLING GUARD!!

Pages : [1] 2

remington50
1/26/2018 10:43am,
Does anyone else scream this in their head when they watch heavyweight matches especially? Or even for their own teammates? I get it if you have a phenomenal guard, but why put yourself on the bottom as a heavyweight? Anyone else vehemently avoid guard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BKR
1/26/2018 11:43am,
Does anyone else scream this in their head when they watch heavyweight matches especially? Or even for their own teammates? I get it if you have a phenomenal guard, but why put yourself on the bottom as a heavyweight? Anyone else vehemently avoid guard?

Well, it's a groundfighting game, why bother standing up, just start on knees ?

submessenger
1/26/2018 11:46am,
Lot of people jump guard because no points lost in competition. If you risk getting thrown, you're down 2 points before you've started your game.

BKR
1/26/2018 11:49am,
Lot of people jump guard because no points lost in competition. If you risk getting thrown, you're down 2 points before you've started your game.

Plus, standup training HURTS! OMG, ukemi...

Omega Supreme
1/26/2018 1:14pm,

Guard jumpers are taken out back and beaten at my gym.

BKR
1/26/2018 1:23pm,
Guard jumpers are taken out back and beaten at my gym.

Same where I train. That and merciless mockery.

Omega Supreme
1/26/2018 1:34pm,
Same where I train. That and merciless mockery.The merciless mockery happens no matter what a person does. It's part of my charm.

BKR
1/26/2018 1:35pm,
The merciless mockery happens no matter what a person does. It's part of my charm.

And you don't even charge extra for it, do you ?

remington50
1/26/2018 2:07pm,

But thatís my thing...why does 2 points matter if you end up with them in your guard and you canít finish them and they end up putting a lot of pressure on you and passing your guard? Maybe because Iím a heavyweight I donít like someone laying on me? I like to win standing and lay on people lol.

remington50
1/26/2018 2:07pm,
Well, it's a groundfighting game, why bother standing up, just start on knees ?

Because competition doesnít?

submessenger
1/26/2018 2:10pm,
But that’s my thing...why does 2 points matter if you end up with them in your guard and you can’t finish them and they end up putting a lot of pressure on you and passing your guard? Maybe because I’m a heavyweight I don’t like someone laying on me? I like to win standing and lay on people lol.

I dunno. I don't particularly care for the attitude, I just know that's how people - especially GB beginners - train for competition. The argument is basically this: "you're a white/blue belt in BJJ, we don't really teach takedowns, and you have no idea if the guy you're fighting next has a black belt in Judo."

Omega Supreme
1/26/2018 2:11pm,
And you don't even charge extra for it, do you ?

No I don't. None of these bastards understand my generosity. It's right there in the sales pitch too.

"All verbal abuse is free" -Coach

remington50
1/26/2018 4:22pm,
I dunno. I don't particularly care for the attitude, I just know that's how people - especially GB beginners - train for competition. The argument is basically this: "you're a white/blue belt in BJJ, we don't really teach takedowns, and you have no idea if the guy you're fighting next has a black belt in Judo."

I guess I get it. My instructor got his black in judo first. We have some guys with great stand up. We actually just got a second judo black belt in class. Iíve never been real afraid of them. But Iím not afraid of falling. Not anymore lol.

BKR
1/26/2018 5:27pm,
But thatís my thing...why does 2 points matter if you end up with them in your guard and you canít finish them and they end up putting a lot of pressure on you and passing your guard? Maybe because Iím a heavyweight I donít like someone laying on me? I like to win standing and lay on people lol.

I weigh maybe 155 and I don't want anybody laying on me. I want to be on top if at all possible.

I don't think it's the 2 points that matter so much as it is a takedown to dominant position. If you miss the dominant position, you still get 2 points (depending on ruleset).

BKR
1/26/2018 5:28pm,
Because competition doesnít?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat is what I'm saying, competition should start on knees, LOL!

BKR
1/26/2018 5:30pm,
No I don't. None of these bastards understand my generosity. It's right there in the sales pitch too.

"All verbal abuse is free" -Coach

I would certainly expect you to be honest and upfront about your generosity regarding verbal abuse, or anything else for that matter, such as regular ass-beatings.