PDA

View Full Version : Most effective martial art for self defense?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jeff121
11/29/2017 9:53pm,
I did karate when I was a kid stopped after a few months. In a real world scenario, like on the subway or the street, whats the best martial art for self defense?

boldeagle67
11/29/2017 11:33pm,
Probably go with something that has realistic sparring not based on a point system.

BackFistMonkey
11/30/2017 12:23am,
Probably go with something that has realistic sparring not based on a point system.

I like the concept of points being used to train good habits, but yeah, I am with you when the whole and/or end goal is points. You are now "playing" instead of "fighting".

Which is great! Judo is most players, TKD is mostly players, BJJ is mostly players. Boxing and kickboxing are often mostly players. You only get what I think of as experience of being a "truly skilled fighter" till you start crossing those lines... even if you just play at it all. If you are putting all the stuff you play at together under some pressure testing you are doing better than those who just spar hard in their comfort zones and mentally masturbate to Whatifical Theory else where.

MMA just happens to be a handy set of generic rulesets to put it all together under.

BackFistMonkey
11/30/2017 12:29am,
Basic Tech ===============> YMAS

Wrong Forum: Dead horses and SyleVSstyle not Basic Techniques.

Uhhhhhhhhhhgggggg.

Welcome to Bullshido. Please read the stickies etc.
LuvUbyebuy!

boldeagle67
11/30/2017 12:34am,
I like the concept of points being used to train good habits, but yeah, I am with you when the whole and/or end goal is points. You are now "playing" instead of "fighting".

Which is great! Judo is most players, TKD is mostly players, BJJ is mostly players. Boxing and kickboxing are often mostly players. You only get what I think of as experience of being a "truly skilled fighter" till you start crossing those lines... even if you just play at it all. If you are putting all the stuff you play at together under some pressure testing you are doing better than those who just spar hard in their comfort zones and mentally masturbate to Whatifical Theory else where.

MMA just happens to be a handy set of generic rulesets to put it all together under.

True. I didn't want to dismiss all other styles but MMA is the only true "safe bet" to cover all aspects in a single style.

BackFistMonkey
11/30/2017 12:40am,
True. I didn't want to dismiss all other styles but MMA is the only true "safe bet" to cover all aspects in a single style.

When people talk about "self defense" they usually actually mean: MMA with short blades and small arms or they want TKD+Karate+NimpoTaiJitsuRyuDildo4thMoonKiWaxOffMed itation.

CNIn
11/30/2017 1:55am,
When people talk about "self defense" they usually actually mean: MMA with short blades and small arms or they want TKD+Karate+NimpoTaiJitsuRyuDildo4thMoonKiWaxOffMed itation.

Yes yes!!! YES!!! Gimme this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Diesel_tke
11/30/2017 9:32am,
Diet and exercise.

boldeagle67
11/30/2017 4:54pm,
Although of the two above options, I would definitely go with the MMA w/ small blades and little arms. Less Bullshido of the two options.

Andre Bazin
11/30/2017 7:15pm,
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Shotokan Karate.

ermghoti
11/30/2017 8:26pm,
Situational awareness and de-escalation.

jnp
11/30/2017 11:12pm,
I did karate when I was a kid stopped after a few months. In a real world scenario, like on the subway or the street, whats the best martial art for self defense?
First and foremost situational awareness, after that, firearms and blade training are best for self defense.

If you want to gain skill in the shortest period of time, the striking and footwork of boxing at a good boxing gym will impart real skills in less than a year if you commit to it. Boxing is one of the quicker paths to gaining real martial skill. Like any real martial art, you can study it for a lifetime and never become a master, but journeyman status is within reach of most people who remain steadfast to training when they start. After that, MMA, and the other combat arts to a lesser degree, tend to be more effective concerning self defense.

laserleftfoot
12/01/2017 1:07am,
best martial art for self defense? KNOWLEDGE is the best martial art for self defense. Look up Colin Flaherty vids on youtube and gain KNOWLEDGE on what happens in a REAL street fight.

Also looking like a thug is a great deterrent (wild long hair, or a mohawk, or a shaved head, wild looking beard. Tattoos, piercings.). Or look like Dustin Hoffman in Taxicab ( the movie that inspired John Hinkley to shoot Ronald Reagan to impress Jodi foster). Works great unless there is a policeman there.

NeilG
12/01/2017 11:29am,
Or look like Dustin Hoffman in Taxicab
Invisibility would be awesome for self-defence!

Sri Hanuman
12/01/2017 5:52pm,
Bacon socks, and a pitbull.

gregaquaman
12/01/2017 9:45pm,
Situational awareness and de-escalation.

Any system you know of that has evidence it works?