11/03/2017 2:50am,
delete

scipio
11/03/2017 3:58am,
Well, that was profound. Thanks for sharing your insights

submessenger
11/03/2017 8:16am,
Well, that was profound. Thanks for sharing your insights

I think it is quite profound. He summed up in 6 words what Bullshido has been on about for over a decade.

Cake of Doom
11/03/2017 11:13am,
deleteI missed out on the OP's sharing of infinite wisdom. This makes me sad.

BackFistMonkey
11/03/2017 11:25am,
I missed out on the OP's sharing of infinite wisdom. This makes me sad.

I am pretty sure I have the power to read edits, but not that post. I feel it is hogwash. There was no edit.

BackFistMonkey
11/03/2017 11:28am,
Oh **** I found it. The UI has changed a little.

Fucking wall of crazy TKD death dealing ****. Wow. Man I wish my moral and ethical code would let me share this stuff. It is awesome sauce. Dude should totally come back and post it again.

BackFistMonkey
11/03/2017 11:30am,
OP come back !!! The world needs yo wisdom!

big maclol
11/03/2017 11:11pm,
No one copied it!?

BackFistMonkey
11/03/2017 11:15pm,
No one copied it!?

Not my fault none of you morally and ethically unbound fuckers didn't quote it first.

*edit*
Literally half my posts are quoting fuckers before they can edit their fuckery.

submessenger
11/03/2017 11:18pm,
The guy is a competent writer, from a purely technical perspective, but he could really do with some coursework in authoring a position paper.

frenchie88
11/04/2017 12:06am,
Not my fault none of you morally and ethically unbound fuckers didn't quote it first.

*edit*
Literally half my posts are quoting fuckers before they can edit their fuckery.

So that means you quote W Rabbit /Pship a lot, right?

Falenay
11/04/2017 2:01am,
(,""$

Falenay
11/04/2017 5:50am,
(,""$
Guess this was my mobile not locking the screen correctly. Sorry for that ;)

Incidentally, I could thereby reformulate the immensely important content of the OP...

mrtnira
11/05/2017 2:05pm,
I may be a heretic on Bullshido on a lot of popular topics.., but I have opinions based upon other experiences. I met a body guard and security professional from South Korea and worked with him for a week almost a decade ago. He was a 5th degree black belt in Taekwondo and could break bricks with his hands. His peer group advised me not to spar with him, because if he made a mistake and hit me too hard I could have internal bleeding. They were not teasing me; their tone was deliberate and they were insistent.

I don't doubt people think Taekwondo is at Mcdojo quality in most places, because this happens when something is broadly disseminated. It happened with Aikido and Karate. It is a popular Bullshido discussion for a lot of martial arts. We end up calling out many elements of truth, but it may not be the whole truth within a larger context. Some training can be effective at a narrow, highly intense level for the few who are going to use it in expected life threatening conflict, but for the broad masses quality may vary.

I think about the Soviets (historical modeling can be useful). For their army personal combat instructors, they were ruthlessly effective, but for an army of mass (most Soviet soldiers were conscripts on a two year rotation cycle), how effective were rank and file soldiers? It would depend upon their individual characteristics (physical ability and their individual level of physical courage) combined with the quality of their physical training instructor. I would expect the average guy would be average, but what was their ability compared to western armies in the same category? Would they have been better than western personnel because the western troop training plan did not have consistent martial arts training, but the Soviet troop training plan did?

If the average Soviet guy was even slightly better than his western counterpart because of that limited repetitive training would we be speaking of the Soviet system in glowing terms today? Probably. Lots of things grow larger or smaller over time. Few things keep their accurate value within context. Look at current events -- we can see the historical narrative morphing in front of us as we move down the river of time. The same is for how we understand fighting arts.

When talking about effectiveness of a martial art, I tend to start sub-categorizing the martial art into what period I am looking at and how people use it: what was it in history, what is it today, people using it for physical fitness, an after school program, social needs, etc., and then moving across the spectrum to true self-defense training (defense) or true security personnel training (deliberate movement to confrontation), where the level of personal investment starts to really climb because there is a factual life, limb, and property consequence at the point of expected employment of the technique.

This pattern of internal sub-categorizing information has been useful to me in many areas, but it means I have to spend a lot of time doing home work on arcane topics of interest only to people on Bullshido.... All of that to say, let's not paint Taekwondo with a broad brush. So much depends upon context.

Bneterasedmynam
11/06/2017 1:08pm,
I may be a heretic on Bullshido on a lot of popular topics.., but I have opinions based upon other experiences. I met a body guard and security professional from South Korea and worked with him for a week almost a decade ago. He was a 5th degree black belt in Taekwondo and could break bricks with his hands. His peer group advised me not to spar with him, because if he made a mistake and hit me too hard I could have internal bleeding. They were not teasing me; their tone was deliberate and they were insistent.

I don't doubt people think Taekwondo is at Mcdojo quality in most places, because this happens when something is broadly disseminated. It happened with Aikido and Karate. It is a popular Bullshido discussion for a lot of martial arts. We end up calling out many elements of truth, but it may not be the whole truth within a larger context. Some training can be effective at a narrow, highly intense level for the few who are going to use it in expected life threatening conflict, but for the broad masses quality may vary.

I think about the Soviets (historical modeling can be useful). For their army personal combat instructors, they were ruthlessly effective, but for an army of mass (most Soviet soldiers were conscripts on a two year rotation cycle), how effective were rank and file soldiers? It would depend upon their individual characteristics (physical ability and their individual level of physical courage) combined with the quality of their physical training instructor. I would expect the average guy would be average, but what was their ability compared to western armies in the same category? Would they have been better than western personnel because the western troop training plan did not have consistent martial arts training, but the Soviet troop training plan did?

If the average Soviet guy was even slightly better than his western counterpart because of that limited repetitive training would we be speaking of the Soviet system in glowing terms today? Probably. Lots of things grow larger or smaller over time. Few things keep their accurate value within context. Look at current events -- we can see the historical narrative morphing in front of us as we move down the river of time. The same is for how we understand fighting arts.

When talking about effectiveness of a martial art, I tend to start sub-categorizing the martial art into what period I am looking at and how people use it: what was it in history, what is it today, people using it for physical fitness, an after school program, social needs, etc., and then moving across the spectrum to true self-defense training (defense) or true security personnel training (deliberate movement to confrontation), where the level of personal investment starts to really climb because there is a factual life, limb, and property consequence at the point of expected employment of the technique.

This pattern of internal sub-categorizing information has been useful to me in many areas, but it means I have to spend a lot of time doing home work on arcane topics of interest only to people on Bullshido.... All of that to say, let's not paint Taekwondo with a broad brush. So much depends upon context.

This text wall would be great if there was even a microscopic amount of real evidence to support it. I get so fucking sick of the "I knew this one guy" crap that it makes me want to vomit.

battlefields
11/06/2017 6:58pm,
This text wall would be great if there was even a microscopic amount of real evidence to support it. I get so fucking sick of the "I knew this one guy" crap that it makes me want to vomit.

But what if the guy he knew was the real deal?