PDA

View Full Version : Bullshidos opinion on ITF TaeKwonDo?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Heuristic
10/28/2017 6:58am,
ITF is the original style of TaeKwonDo. Here are some of the pros and cons as I see them

+ lots of mitts work

- undue time given to patterns

+ 50/50 training on punching and kicking

- no real training in head movement

+ cool kicks

- some kicks need modification in a sparring format (heavy chambering is easily telegraphed) making you train techniques that arent applicable

+ nice conditioning

- sparring does not allow low kicks

+ sparring allows punches to the face

- sparring does not allow more than two punches in succession, and only straight punches are permitted.

What do you guys think about ITF TaeKwonDo?

BackFistMonkey
10/28/2017 8:13am,
MMA and Combat Sports Forum: Boxing, UFC, etc. ------> YMAS

Your content sucks.

Heuristic
10/28/2017 8:21am,
I have placed it correctly

BackFistMonkey
10/28/2017 8:39am,
I have placed it correctly

Some random stupid staff member disagreed.

Heuristic
10/28/2017 8:58am,
Lol. The sparring rules are kickboxing but maybe that's not a combat sport

Guird
11/03/2017 3:26am,
This thread is about the style as a whole, correct? Not just its competitive format?

My impression of ITF taekwondo is that it's even variable than WTF for quality, with some tippy-tappy sparring schools, some full contact. Is this roughly correct?

Heuristic
11/03/2017 8:04am,
It depends on who you spar in the club. Those with kickboxing background go full swing on the shots, those that are pure ITF tend to throw more push kicks.

I go full contact to the body with the kickboxers, and semi contact to the face.

We are taught to drive through the targets in mitts practise though. So the competition rules does not shape our training. Some bad trainers will though, but not the old school ones.

BackFistMonkey
11/03/2017 9:50am,
It depends on who you spar in the club. Those with kickboxing background go full swing on the shots, those that are pure ITF tend to throw more push kicks.

I go full contact to the body with the kickboxers, and semi contact to the face.

We are taught to drive through the targets in mitts practise though. So the competition rules does not shape our training. Some bad trainers will though, but not the old school ones.
This topic has been beat to death. Training methods matter more than style, because the basics are really what counts and most effective striking martial arts share the basic concepts of power generation and structural support and balance. TKD, in general, is a mediocre striking art because it varies from the tried and true methods of power generation of boxing, muay thai, savate, kontact karates and kickboxing. It can get the job done, technically, especially against an untrained rube, but tends to fall apart out of an individuals weight class in the streets and against people who actually fight in most any situation.

BackFistMonkey
11/03/2017 10:23am,
TKD is basically korean foot wing chun but light contact limited rule set ( occasionally medium contact and scrappy) based instead of mostly faith based, so it has that going for it.

Heuristic
11/04/2017 9:00am,
This topic has been beat to death. Training methods matter more than style, because the basics are really what counts and most effective striking martial arts share the basic concepts of power generation and structural support and balance. TKD, in general, is a mediocre striking art because it varies from the tried and true methods of power generation of boxing, muay thai, savate, kontact karates and kickboxing. It can get the job done, technically, especially against an untrained rube, but tends to fall apart out of an individuals weight class in the streets and against people who actually fight in most any situation.

I disagree. Aikido is useless no matter which training method

Tramirezmma
11/04/2017 11:01am,

alright, you won me back over.

Permalost
11/04/2017 12:13pm,

Savate kicking mechanics are basically like TKD with shoes.

BackFistMonkey
11/04/2017 5:40pm,
Savate kicking mechanics are basically like TKD with shoes.
They definitely tend to commit more, use straight legs without the chamber or snap and generally shoot towards KISS, also their punching mechanics tend to lean more towards boxing instead of chambered reverse punch nonsense.

BackFistMonkey
11/04/2017 5:44pm,

I was specifically speaking of striking arts and if you want to split hairs Aikido's biggest issue is its training methods. Technically it is basically just JJJ and fails because of the aversion to physical conflict and training methods not the techniques, in theory many of the techniques are sound.

Heuristic
11/06/2017 8:49pm,
Wrong. It is Japanese jujitsu, meaning little to no groundgame submissions (unlike Judo and BJJ), just useless joint lock fluff and throws. Anybody who did Japanese jujitsu in the 80s will tell you that it has limited to no groundgame submissions. And Aikido is basically watered down Japanese jujitsu.

Heuristic
11/06/2017 8:54pm,
Can someone explain to me why Taekwondo gets so much more **** than traditional Karate styles? The training is equally soft and kid friendly. And let's not go into the absolutely dreadful Karate point fighting.