PDA

View Full Version : Israeli wins judo gold in UAE, which refuses to play anthem, raise flag

Pages : [1] 2

BackFistMonkey
10/26/2017 8:20pm,
With Israel and "Teh Jews" on my mind for some reason today, I ran across this interesting article.

Tal Flicker and bronze-winner Gili Cohen forced to celebrate under international judo federation's banner due to local prohibition on Israeli symbols (https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-wins-gold-at-abu-dhabi-judo-tourney-which-refuses-to-play-the-anthem/)

An Israeli judoka won a gold medal on Thursday at the Abu Dhabi Grand Slam judo tournament, but had to sing his own private “Hatikvah” because the organizers refused to play the Israeli national anthem.

He also had to celebrate his victory under the International Judo Federation’s flag, because the emirate banned the display of Israeli symbols.

Tournament organizers did not play Israel’s national anthem as Tal Flicker stood on the podium after receiving his medal in the men’s under-66 kilograms (145 pounds) category.

With the medal around his neck, Flicker sang his own “Hatikvah” while the International Judo Federation’s (IJF) anthem played in the background.

Article continues with video, links, and great detail.

Of course this instantly reminds me of the Women's Chess tourney and various other retarded, bigoted, racist, and sexists activities happening in that shithole of hypocrisy, I mean #1 friend to America.

Ming Loyalist
10/26/2017 8:58pm,
yeah, i feel like this behavior should remove their ability to host these events. i'm sure everyone is shocked that i take that view.

Michael Tzadok
10/27/2017 7:18am,
With Israel and "Teh Jews" on my mind for some reason today, I ran across this interesting article.

Tal Flicker and bronze-winner Gili Cohen forced to celebrate under international judo federation's banner due to local prohibition on Israeli symbols (https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-wins-gold-at-abu-dhabi-judo-tourney-which-refuses-to-play-the-anthem/)

Article continues with video, links, and great detail.

Of course this instantly reminds me of the Women's Chess tourney and various other retarded, bigoted, racist, and sexists activities happening in that shithole of hypocrisy, I mean #1 friend to America.
Some bits that the article excluded.
1) Most of the Israelis are active duty Israeli soldiers. Essentially if you have a talent that can help spread good feelings of Israel abroad such as sports, modeling, acting ect, you can opt to do that for your military service instead of wearing green and carrying a(typically unloaded) rifle. Two of my kids are on track to do BJJ for their national service. It may seem trivial to most but some of these nations take that a bit serious.

2) The Israeli national team and Judo Federation knew about this well in advance. That it was going to go down like this was reported over a month ago on BJJEE. Since it is a major component of qualifying for the Olympics they decided to accept the restrictions instead of protesting them.

3) Often opponents from Arab nations will forfeit rather than compete directly against an Israeli athlete, even at the Olympics and have never been censured for political statements, even though guys like the three athletes that protested human rights violations in the 1968 Olympics were all removed from the Olympics and banned from the Olympic village.

yeah, i feel like this behavior should remove their ability to host these events. i'm sure everyone is shocked that i take that view.

Nope not surprising at all.

BKR
10/27/2017 11:54am,
I've been following this for a while.

IMO, the IJF should have never allowed the event to happen in UAE. As Michael pointed out, the Israelis (and the IJF) knew about this crap way in advance.

The IJF is all about money, let's make that clear, right along with the IOC. Any lip service they give to the original ideals of Judo as set forth by Kano is in service of making more money in the sports-entertainment business.

If the Olympics is supposed to be free of politics, fine and dandy, and athletes are not allowed to express political beliefs, then neither should the countries who host IJF events.

The Israeli judo team was in a bind, and took the high road, basically.

As I like to tell my judo students, the best revenge is served on the tatami...

BKR
10/27/2017 11:54am,

I agree, 100% on both points.

PDA
10/27/2017 1:14pm,
What most people don’t seam to realise is that this isn’t just a **** you to Israel it’s a **** you to the whole western civilisation.

DCS
10/27/2017 1:18pm,
The IJF is all about money, let's make that clear, right along with the IOC. Any lip service they give to the original ideals of Judo as set forth by Kano is in service of making more money in the sports-entertainment business.

This.

MisterMR
10/27/2017 5:38pm,
Any lip service they give to the original ideals of Judo as set forth by Kano is in service of making more money in the sports-entertainment business.

Kano had nothing against the Berlin Olympics.

DCS
10/27/2017 5:53pm,

Kano had his doubts about including Judo in the Olympics

"I have been asked by people of various sections as to the wisdom and possibility of Judo being introduced with other games and sports at the Olympic Games. My view on the matter, at present, is rather passive. If it be the desire of other member countries I have no objection. But I do not feel inclined to take any initiative. For one thing, Judo, in reality, is not a mere sport or game. I regard it as a principle of life, art and science. In fact it is a means for personal cultural attainment. Only one of the forms of Judo training, so-called Randori or free practice, can be classed as a form of sport. Certainly, to some extent, the same may be said of boxing and fencing, but today they are practised and conducted as sports. Then, the Olympic Games are so strongly flavoured with Nationalism that it is possible to be influenced by it and to develop 'Contest Judo,' a retrograde form as Ju Jutsu was before Kodokwan Judo was founded."
http://ejmas.com/jcs/2004jcs/jcsart_svinth_0504.htm

ghost55
10/27/2017 6:02pm,
What most people don’t seam to realise is that this isn’t just a **** you to Israel it’s a **** you to the whole western civilisation.

That was supposed to be an up vote. sorry.

Michael Tzadok
10/30/2017 9:49am,
Mohammad Bin Thaloub Al-Darei, president of the UAE’s Judo Federation, and Aref Al-Awani, another senior Emirates sports official, apologized to Israeli Judo Association head Moshe Ponte over the fact that an athlete from the UAE refused to shake hands with an Israeli judoka after a match during the several-day tournament, according to a statement from the International Judo Federation.
Source: https://www.bjjee.com/articles/uae-apologizes-israel-treatment-judo-team-snubbed-hosts-nationality/

So they snub the entire team with the flag and anthem thing, then they expect their athletes to act with sportsmanship toward them? Sorry but it doesn't compute.

Tramirezmma
10/30/2017 10:20am,
I wish someone would come along, take Israel and Arab countries by the ear, and spank their asses. It's been 60 years, people need to grow the **** up and do what is best for their people.

BKR
10/30/2017 10:20am,

Context, much ?

BKR
10/30/2017 10:23am,
Kano had his doubts about including Judo in the Olympics

"I have been asked by people of various sections as to the wisdom and possibility of Judo being introduced with other games and sports at the Olympic Games. My view on the matter, at present, is rather passive. If it be the desire of other member countries I have no objection. But I do not feel inclined to take any initiative. For one thing, Judo, in reality, is not a mere sport or game. I regard it as a principle of life, art and science. In fact it is a means for personal cultural attainment. Only one of the forms of Judo training, so-called Randori or free practice, can be classed as a form of sport. Certainly, to some extent, the same may be said of boxing and fencing, but today they are practised and conducted as sports. Then, the Olympic Games are so strongly flavoured with Nationalism that it is possible to be influenced by it and to develop 'Contest Judo,' a retrograde form as Ju Jutsu was before Kodokwan Judo was founded."
http://ejmas.com/jcs/2004jcs/jcsart_svinth_0504.htm

Thanks for putting that up. I was trying to remember where to find it.

https://www.drycreekphoto.com/images/calibration/graygradient.gif

BKR
10/30/2017 10:28am,
Source: https://www.bjjee.com/articles/uae-apologizes-israel-treatment-judo-team-snubbed-hosts-nationality/

So they snub the entire team with the flag and anthem thing, then they expect their athletes to act with sportsmanship toward them? Sorry but it doesn't compute.

I'm sure this is not why there is no hand-shaking in that scenario, however, shaking hands is absolutely not required or necessary at the end of a Judo match.

The ritsurei is completely sufficient under the current rules, and of course long term customs of Judo.

At one point, many years ago, we were told to NOT shake hands, because it used up too much time (in aggregate), and prolonged the length of the tournament.

Personally, to me it's a sign on weakness on the part of the UAE, Egyptians, or whatever other weak-assed nation behaves in such a manner.

They need to just go ahead and try to invade Israel again, and get their asses handed to them again, instead of all this passive-aggressive bullshit.

Buncha fucking pussies is what they are.

MisterMR
10/30/2017 11:44am,
Context, much ?

Well he did represent Japan at the Berlin Olympics of 1938:

He did not play much part in organizing the Far Eastern Championship Games held in Osaka in May 1923, nor did he attend the 1924 Olympics in Paris, but he did represent Japan at the Olympics in Amsterdam (1928), Los Angeles (1932), and Berlin (1936). From 1931 to 1938, he was also one of the leading international spokesmen in Japan's bid for the 1940 Olympics.[35][44]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kan%C5%8D_Jigor%C5%8D#International_Olympic_Commit tee

I just find the idea that the IJF is going against Kano ideals for not punishing some nations for anti-Israel behaviour ironic, since Kano was a member of a government allied with nazi Germany and fascist Italy, and represented said government in Hitler's Olympics. Japanese government was quite fascist too in its own way, although I think they weren't antisemitic.

How can we square this with Kano's ideals of pacifism and world friendliness?

Option (1): He believed that sport was useful to put people together, including people with different ideals, so he was for an inclusive view. In this hypothesis, the IJF was totally following Kano's ideals by keeping the anti-Israelians in;

Option (2): Kano was a pacifist but also a man of his times, he probably believed that the colonialist policy of Japan was justified under some historical theory, and probably held many beliefs that we now consider crazy extreme right wing warmongery. But from his point of view, he saw no direct conflict between these beliefs and these ideals. In this hypothesis, I think that the idea that the IJF should ban anti-israeli governments to keep with Kano's ideal still quite strange.

Options 1 and 2 are not mutually exclusive.