PDA

View Full Version : Training kids to be beasts

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

JoeLansing
10/07/2017 1:10am,
I have 2 kids. A 10yo girl and an 11 year old boy. I started them out at like ages 7-8 in karate, but it is some wacko local recent brand of karate with no contact. It was like "make little circles in the air with your foot". Kids don't do that well.
Dropped that crap when they got their Orange belt, and they didn't know anything.

Next I put them into Japanese Ju Jitsu. This was way better. Mount, guard, arm bar, blocks, chokes. It is decent. Some striking, but no kicking for the most part. If they get you by the wrist or finger you will pay. They are still doing this. The instruction is real. Took a year to advance a belt.

Evil dad mode turned on. "If you are going to play minecraft all day, you need to work more". Lets learn to kick. Tossed them into twice a week Taekwondo. It is good. They break boards, jump rope like a boxing pro, it's great for kids. And they kick!

So now they are doing TKD on Mondays and Wednesdays, JJJ on Thursdays, and swim on Saturdays. They've been into decent stuff (not the lame karate) almost 2 years now. They are starting to get scary. I can't grab them anymore unless I'm very careful. The little short suckers can kick me in the head if they want. They always look forward to their training. They get straight A's in school. They are half Asian Filipino if that counts for anything.

So. Am I making them do too much? I've read stuff about youngsters and joint damage. I'm super proud of them, and I think they are proud of themselves, but I worry a lot about having my kids being so abnormal. The JJJ teacher is weirded out about them also being in Taekwondo, the Taekwondo teacher is weirded out about them being in JJJ. They have gloves and a full size Wavemaster for punching practice which isn't in TKD or JJJ.

So should I do anything different? What's your opinions?
- Joe

Zephyor
10/07/2017 7:38am,
I guess it's beneficial as long the little ones dig the training. I wish I had the chance to be a beast from a young age too.

BKR
10/07/2017 12:51pm,
I have 2 kids. A 10yo girl and an 11 year old boy. I started them out at like ages 7-8 in karate, but it is some wacko local recent brand of karate with no contact. It was like "make little circles in the air with your foot". Kids don't do that well.
Dropped that crap when they got their Orange belt, and they didn't know anything.

Next I put them into Japanese Ju Jitsu. This was way better. Mount, guard, arm bar, blocks, chokes. It is decent. Some striking, but no kicking for the most part. If they get you by the wrist or finger you will pay. They are still doing this. The instruction is real. Took a year to advance a belt.

Evil dad mode turned on. "If you are going to play minecraft all day, you need to work more". Lets learn to kick. Tossed them into twice a week Taekwondo. It is good. They break boards, jump rope like a boxing pro, it's great for kids. And they kick!

So now they are doing TKD on Mondays and Wednesdays, JJJ on Thursdays, and swim on Saturdays. They've been into decent stuff (not the lame karate) almost 2 years now. They are starting to get scary. I can't grab them anymore unless I'm very careful. The little short suckers can kick me in the head if they want. They always look forward to their training. They get straight A's in school. They are half Asian Filipino if that counts for anything.

So. Am I making them do too much? I've read stuff about youngsters and joint damage. I'm super proud of them, and I think they are proud of themselves, but I worry a lot about having my kids being so abnormal. The JJJ teacher is weirded out about them also being in Taekwondo, the Taekwondo teacher is weirded out about them being in JJJ. They have gloves and a full size Wavemaster for punching practice which isn't in TKD or JJJ.

- Joe

Sounds good to me.

hungryjoe
10/07/2017 1:29pm,
Straight A's in school and physically active. You're doing it right sounds like.

If my math is correct they still have two free days for judo and a day of rest (-;

BKR
10/07/2017 7:42pm,
Do they compete?

hungryjoe
10/07/2017 8:05pm,
Joe,

Welcome to the site. Consider hanging out awhile. A thick skin helps.

Long time lurker or just happen to be passing by?

BackFistMonkey
10/07/2017 8:10pm,

- Joe

Hey Joe. I am going to send this to YMAS where the discussion is a little less stiff and uptight. I do not think I can answer your post with proper scope and appropriateness in the current environment.

Basic and Misc. Fighting Technique Discussion --------------->zoooooommmmmm-----------> YMAS

BackFistMonkey
10/07/2017 8:29pm,

So now they are doing TKD on Mondays and Wednesdays, JJJ on Thursdays, and swim on Saturdays. They've been into decent stuff (not the lame karate) almost 2 years now. They are starting to get scary.
No they aren't.

I can't grab them anymore
Yes you can.

unless I'm very careful.
... what are you trying to do to them ???

The little short suckers can kick me in the head if they want.

You need to control the distance and the children in your home. You crash the gate if you see them rearing up to kick you. Straight forward and dump the little brats straight on their asses. You have like 100 lbs + on them dude.

They always look forward to their training. They get straight A's in school.
Good on them!

They are half Asian Filipino if that counts for anything.
Yes it counts for 79.e43.

So. Am I making them do too much?
Why the hell are you asking us? By default I am going to say yes, because you are asking, yes. You demand too much and are an overbearing insufferable helicopter parent.

I've read stuff about youngsters and joint damage.
Not good dude. Way too young to be twisting joints.

I'm super proud of them, and I think they are proud of themselves, but I worry a lot about having my kids being so abnormal.
You should be proud of them. Around now is when they start to show little bits and pieces of the people they will eventually be. It only gets harder from here on out.
... so far the only abnormal stuff I have seen is your word choice and general copy.

The JJJ teacher is weirded out about them also being in Taekwondo, the Taekwondo teacher is weirded out about them being in JJJ.
Sounds like a bunch of ... * cough * uninformed people. I mean unless you are just being a demanding ass trying to soak up all your kids free time with activities...

They have gloves and a full size Wavemaster for punching practice which isn't in TKD or JJJ.
What kinda pokemon world do you live in? Have you ever been to class with your kids?
I say this because ... my friend, they do haz punching.

- Joe
LOL
6/10

hungryjoe
10/07/2017 8:42pm,
Hey Joe. I am going to send this to YMAS where the discussion is a little less stiff and uptight. I do not think I can answer your post with proper scope and appropriateness in the current environment.

Basic and Misc. Fighting Technique Discussion --------------->zoooooommmmmm-----------> YMAS

Good move BFM.

Joe,

My wife was adamant that I'd not get our daughters involved in the martial arts. The joke in my family is she's boss 95% of the time. That remaining 5% is not up for discussion. Started the first at age seven and we never looked back. Karate, later focusing on Goju and about 12 started judo. Youngest around eight (judo).

If their enthusiasm keeps, power to the plan. Do be aware that interest may wain as they get older. Sounds like they're involved and well grounded. Kudos to y'all.

I tell mine. Your job is to have fun and get the best education possible. Mine is to be the best parent possible to raise you to have your own. In this way we live on. I've not shared this before but offer it as something that's worked well to date.

Again,

Welcome and good to see you here.

hungryjoe
10/07/2017 8:50pm,
Move to YMAS? Okay. Everything previously posted I wrote while asleep. OP should admit kids are in ATA and I'm a gullible old fart.

I seriously told that **** about parenting to mine and it's worked out so far. No arrests and merit scholar + ability for nasty chokes to wannabe back seat rapists.

Holy Moment
10/07/2017 9:27pm,
Give them steroids.

Permalost
10/08/2017 4:47am,
A kid with 2 years of JJJ and TKD is nothing to be afraid of.

Raycetpfl
10/08/2017 11:34am,
. They are starting to get scary. I can't grab them anymore unless I'm very careful. The little short suckers can kick me in the head if they want.
That's cause you're a *****.

They always look forward to their training. They get straight A's in school.
- Joe That's the important part.

GrouchyOldMan
10/08/2017 6:10pm,
What exactly were you expecting a 7 and 8 year old to "know" after taking karate?

Yes, it seems that this is the real deal.

Evil dad mode turned on. "If you are going to play minecraft all day, you need to work more". Lets learn to kick. Tossed them into twice a week Taekwondo.
Nothing wrong with making children be physically active.

It is good. They break boards, jump rope like a boxing pro, it's great for kids. And they kick!
What specifically is good about breaking boards? Jumping rope is good for general physical fitness but is hardly a skill that needs to be obtained from a tkd instructor, and my daughter, who has played soccer since she was a small child, can kick too (probably better than the majority of tae Kwon do practicioners)!!

now they are doing TKD on Mondays and Wednesdays, JJJ on Thursdays, and swim on Saturdays.
Seems a little busy to me, but if the schedule doesn't introduce more stress than benefit to your family's life, then it's working for you and that's good.

They've been into decent stuff (not the lame karate) almost 2 years now.
By what exact criteria are you judging JJJ and TKD to be "decent stuff".

They are starting to get scary. I can't grab them anymore unless I'm very careful. The little short suckers can kick me in the head if they want.
Bullshit. And if it's not bullshit, I struggle to find the context in which children this age being "scary", and causing the adults who are responsible for these children's care to be concerned for their own personal safety, could be regarded as positive in any way.

They always look forward to their training.
This means they are enjoying it, and that is what really matters.

They get straight A's in school.
This is far more impressive than being accomplished athletes or fighters, and hopefully you can continue to provide them the environment they need, to continue to succeed.

They are half Asian Filipino if that counts for anything.
Of course it does. Everyone knows Asians are good at academic endeavors.

So. Am I making them do too much?
Too much martial arts? Too much homework? Too much time spent on extracurricular activities in general? I'm not 100% certain what the actual question is here, and how I would answer this depends on exactly what the question is speaking to.

I've read stuff about youngsters and joint damage.
Yeah... not good. I have never been impressed, in general, with expecting child bodies and child intellect and emotional maturity levels to acquire adult skills.

I'm super proud of them,
And you should be. Would you be just as proud if they hated martial arts and loved soccer and playing the violin?

and I think they are proud of themselves,
If they are enjoying what they do, and feel a sense of accomplishment, they probably are, and they should be. Or they could just be proud of the fact that you are proud of them. Children that age simply want their parents approval, and if they can see the best way to get that approval is to put on a pair of Asian pajamas and slam another kid on their back, or KICK!, then there are very few children who wouldn't give it their best effort.

but I worry a lot about having my kids being so abnormal.
Abnormal by who's standard? Being comfortable with yourself, and we'll adjusted enough to be a functional member of human society without having a peer committee dictate your interests is of much more value as a life skill than knowing how to efficiently choke someone unconscious.

The JJJ teacher is weirded out about them also being in Taekwondo, the Taekwondo teacher is weirded out about them being in JJJ.
Please define "weirded out", because unless either of them are paying for it or taking time from their day to transport them, I fail to see why their feelings are relevant.

They have gloves and a full size Wavemaster for punching practice which isn't in TKD or JJJ.
Why? And when did the Kukkiwon take punching out of the take Kwon do syllabus?

- Joe

My opinion is that this is a trolling attempt.

Assuming it isn't, for the sake of my own entertainment, one thing that is almost always notably absent whenever someone seems fixated on having their child excel at an endeavor, is that person's own training and accomplishments.

A parent's job is to develop children into happy, healthy and well adjusted adults who are willing and capable of making a positive contribution to society.

Martial arts can absolutely help achieve that ultimate end goal, but so can a lot of other things. Whether or not a singular focus on training your children to be beasts is the best way to accomplish that goal with your family is not something I, nor anyone else on the internet, can really speak to intelligently.

My opinion is worthless, just like everyone else's opinion on this forum.

JoeLansing
11/21/2017 8:58pm,
I wasn't trolling, just slow. at hXXp://taeparktaekwondo.org/tournament/ my 10 year old got 2 golds for stupid forms and "one step sparing". My 11 year old got 2 silvers in the same. It's pretty lame, but they are learning to kick.

They are learning so called "traditional Chung Do Kwon" Taekwondo. But it's WTF/Kikkoman so it's pretty much crap, and not traditional at all. Head strikes are worth no points. The only hand strikes that are worth points are a back fist, which is too easy to grab.

My goal was to get them to learn to kick. The Danzan-ryū Jiu Jitsu they have been doing for 2 years is great, but it lacks decent kicking. The stupid common core TKD kicking they are learning now, may end up being very useful for them. I just tell them keep the kicks low, at least until I can't grab their foot anymore. :)

- Joe

JoeLansing
11/21/2017 10:15pm,
My 11 year old is getting fun to poke/tickle. He'll start tossing kicks and nice elbows at me. He can kick hard. I think my daughter would suck at sparing, but she's perfect at forms. She does the form strikes hard, and it just looks sweet. Why she got 2 golds. But like sparring, she can't block anything, and hits weak. Oh, well. My kids are fun, my favorite toys..:P

- Joe