PDA

View Full Version : [Boxing] Gennady Golovkin vs. Canelo Álvarez

Tranquil Suit
9/16/2017 9:20am,
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/53/Golovkin-Canelo_fight_poster.jpg/275px-Golovkin-Canelo_fight_poster.jpg

Tranquil Suit
9/16/2017 9:21am,
GGG takes this.

OZZ
9/17/2017 1:03pm,
I was a bit disappointed with this fight. I expected some more hard-hitting action. Mind you....I got pretty wasted last night and don't remember much of the fight. I have a 24 hour window to re watch it so I am going to check it out again later this afternoon.
I want to score it myself with a clear head.

OZZ
9/17/2017 7:13pm,
After watching it again..I still wish Alvarez would have traded with GGG a bit more, but you have to give Canelo credit for his counter punching which was pretty effective at times.
I scored it 115- 112 for Golovkin.
It was a good fight that definitely warrants a rematch. This is likely the beginning of a trilogy. I guess I am just disappointed that there were no knockdowns and no really tense moments where either fighter got rocked.
The one judge who scored it 118 - 110 ?
That is baffling.
Anyways. I will definitely tune in for a rematch between these two.

Tranquil Suit
9/18/2017 6:19am,
The one judge who scored it 118 - 110 [for Canelo]?

Adalaide Byrd.

Give her a break, she's had a bad day. -- As to paraphrase NSAC

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/20729693/somes-bad-day-says-nsac-executive-judge-adalaide-byrd-scorecard

ghost55
9/18/2017 11:51am,
Adalaide Byrd.

Give her a break, she's had a bad day. -- As to paraphrase NSAC

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/20729693/somes-bad-day-says-nsac-executive-judge-adalaide-byrd-scorecard

Someone is paying her.

Tranquil Suit
9/20/2017 12:52pm,
Someone is paying her.

Wouldn't she be more subtle then?

Eddie Hardon
1/13/2018 6:13pm,
A bit late to the party but I thought GGG won by 2 rounds. I'm a great admirer of Canelo and he's very adept at evading strikes and more skilled than some realise. Even so, I thought it was Golokin who took the laurels. I wasn't disappointed by the Draw though, oddly, I don't think I wanted either to lose.

OZZ
9/16/2018 12:27am,
Wow..no interest on here about the rematch tonight ?
I scored it a draw...113 -113. But so many rounds were close and Canelo the steroid monster looked more dominant in this one so the decision didn't surprise me and I dont fault the judges.
Golovkin was obviously very disappointed..so much so that he refused an immediate ringside interview after the fact. But he didn't really start to press until the last three rounds so ..it is what it is

Shame to see so little interest on here ...great boxing matches between these two.
I'm sure a third fight is coming.

W. Rabbit
9/16/2018 1:16am,
Golovkin seemed to control the entire fight, Alvarez got some credit for surviving that assault.

ghost55
9/16/2018 1:53am,
Almost every major news outlet scored it for GGG or as a draw. Boxing judging is corrupt as ****. News at 11.

submessenger
9/16/2018 11:08am,
The fix was in long ago. It was widely advertised as "the Canelo fight," here in the USA. I haven't watched the full fight, yet, but skipping through it seemed very even to me. GGG's face was a mess, so if I was to just judge on that, Alvarez all day.

Watch it while you can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV6zupOloVo

Eddie Hardon
9/17/2018 2:28pm,
It was very different this time around - at least from Canelo's strategy. Admittedly, I was watching it at ridiculous o'clock here and had to watch it again later on Sunday. Prior to the contest, I'd watched a build-up prog and was listening to Abel Sanchez and it immediately prompted the thought, Abel is worried. For why? You ask...good question. In the initial contest, we saw the elusiveness of Canelo and his excellent Head movement and also his ability to enter and exit punching range. Sanchez was worried by the adept ability of Canelo and was trying to provoke a "Mano a Mano" nonsense in the hope that this appeal to Mexican machismo would encourage Alvarez to abandon his very intelligent Defence and impale himself on GGG's fists. Sanchez clearly felt that with GGG being the naturally bigger athlete and having been MW throughout his career, then it would play to his natural advantages and that he would break down Alvarez and so finish him.

Why would Alvarez make such a mistake as to eschew his highly skilled Defence to plunge into a more risky brawl? A desperate ploy by Abel. Instead what we saw this time was a more positive stance by Alvarez, who elected to stand Ring Centre and counter when he saw holes in GGG's posture yet retain his elusiveness. The UK commentary from John Rawllings and Barry Jones is usually very good and reliable; not so much this time. When Rawlings was talking and taking a pro-GGG assessment, he was talking over the calculated riposte of Alvarez. He also made reference to Harold Leederman over at HBO. We don't care, there's no need to appeal to another broadcaster to buttress your own assessment.

in truth, the result will divide viewers simply because it was very close. It's what you appreciate in your boxing. If we take the (as we understand it) USA perspective, you prefer to credit the Aggressor. He's making the fight and taking the risks etc. Here in Blighty, we prefer the Art of Self Defence and will credit elusiveness - it helps wear down the Aggressor - and the ability to counter. You can take the Offensive and fight with your Face all through the contest, it doesn't mean you deserve the win....

I wouldn't have minded it going to either fighter because the difference between them was only 1 round - 2 at most. The controversy is the Clenbuterol claim (I only recently learned that Mexican beef is subject to steroid abuse to build muscle etc). Even so, Canelo should have known better and that does take the shine off his 2 performances against GGG. That apart, we are seeing the high point of one marvellous fighter and the emergence of another likely to also reach such a highpoint. Canelo is a growing athlete as evidenced by his rise though the weight classes (155 against Cotto) so he's always going to hit 160lbs. Both have superb boxing skills, fantastic Chins, and Character. So much to admire in both. But then again....Canelo, stay away from tainted beef. Go for Irish or Scotch, neither is subject to steroid abuse....