PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Science Theater 3000: Does Bullshido Have a Man on the Inside?

Pages : [1] 2

ermghoti
6/04/2017 6:30pm,
I've watched most of the rebooted episodes on Netflix. They are pretty good, where I never warmed to the SciFi Channel version, this felt like vintage MST3K immediately.

Perhaps the second episode, there was a shot apparently meant to represent the vision of a dinosaur, with some slo-mo, muddled sound, and a red filter. The accompanying quip: "this is filmed from chuck Wepner's perspective!" Most recently, there was a reference to chess-boxing. Perhaps most convincingly, during a fighting scene with dismal, Kirk vs Gorn choreography, somebody chimed in "that strikes me as a low-percentage technique."

Now, none of this is conclusive, but the last comment in particular is a stark contrast to the hippie laden, Aikido loving TV/movie writer, so I have to wonder.

BackFistMonkey
6/04/2017 7:35pm,
I have often wondered the same thing.
There are plenty of phrases and keywords that pop up and seem to reference the "culture" here.

Pship Destroyer
6/04/2017 8:20pm,
I think MST3K ruined a whole generation, and now none of them will shut the **** up whenever a movie is on.

Any movie. Have you witnessed this?

It used to be considered rude to talk during a movie, now any time I go to the movies it's like there are 10-40 year olds all over the theater trying to act like Crow T Robot.

I like sarcastic banter but..

Tramirezmma
6/04/2017 9:26pm,
I think MST3K ruined a whole generation, and now none of them will shut the **** up whenever a movie is on.

It used to be considered rude to talk during a movie, now any time I go to the movies it's like there are 10-40 year olds all over the theater trying to act like Crow T Robot.

I'm sorry. I can't help it.

goodlun
6/04/2017 9:36pm,
I'm sorry. I can't help it.

How the **** can you afford even go see a movie?
I sure the **** can't....

ermghoti
6/04/2017 9:47pm,

I honestly haven't seen this, but plenty of people that just can't stay off their damn phones, so I'd blame Instant Gratification Entertainment before MST3K. Those 10 year olds are really unlikely to have been influenced by a 30 year old show that went off the air for good around the time they were born.

I have often wondered the same thing.
There are plenty of phrases and keywords that pop up and seem to reference the "culture" here.

I cited the only ones I've noticed, you have other examples?

BackFistMonkey
6/04/2017 9:53pm,
I cited the only ones I've noticed, you have other examples?
I will dig through my collection and see. I know there are more I just can't think of or reference them at the moment.

ermghoti
6/04/2017 10:07pm,
I will dig through my collection and see. I know there are more I just can't think of or reference them at the moment.

Ah-ha. If it predates the current season, that is a juicy clue.

Permalost
6/04/2017 10:58pm,
They mock cult-like quirkiness and bad krotty fights, both common to the old 70s possibly foreign movies they like to roast. A similarity or two to Bullshido was bound to happen.

I can't stand the parts between the movies though.

Michael Tzadok
6/04/2017 11:18pm,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

ermghoti
6/05/2017 7:52am,
They mock cult-like quirkiness and bad krotty fights, both common to the old 70s possibly foreign movies they like to roast. A similarity or two to Bullshido was bound to happen.

I can't stand the parts between the movies though.

True, but "low percentage technique" is awfully specific vocabulary.

Pship Destroyer
6/05/2017 7:56am,
True, but "low percentage technique" is awfully specific vocabulary.

It's not specific to Bullshido.net.

ermghoti
6/05/2017 9:23am,

Definitely, but also certainly a very small subset of the culture of which Bullshido is a part.

BackFistMonkey
6/05/2017 9:32am,

Very true, most anyone training BJJ, or any combat sport these days, has run across the term.
I was up till like 5 this morning watching old episodes and think maybe I was projecting ... I haven't caught any in the older episodes yet.

BackFistMonkey
6/05/2017 9:45am,
MST3K Season 2 Episode 2 "Sidehackers".

Tom Says: "Since they are showing us ESPN maybe they will play us some Kickboxing from the Philippines."

which is random as hell but shows an interest in Combat Sports.

BackFistMonkey
6/05/2017 10:20am,
later same episode:
Joel: Well, you guys gotta understand, it's really hard to get a new sport going. It's hard to get the recognition that other sports enjoy. Can you name a few?
Tom Servo: Uh, kickboxing from the Philippines... uh, tape measure racing...
Crow T. Robot: And, uh, computations, and Australian rules football.
Joel: Right, and what do all these sports have in common that sidehacking does not?
Crow T. Robot: Uh, a rudimentary interest factor?
Tom Servo: A sense of fair play?
Crow T. Robot: A small measure of self-esteem?