PDA

View Full Version : Sambo/Systema seminar coming up, would like some opinions



kimjonghng
5/31/2017 3:38pm,
Ok so the Sambo guys I trained with at a seminar posted about a seminar on ROSS system/Sambo cross training seminar in Glasgow, a goo 2 and a half hours train away from me but its direct. Im tempted to go but to my knowledge isnt ROSS a Systema offshoot (which the event describes as being crossed with Sambo) so Im curious if it's worth a peak? anyone have any experience with ROSS. Alexander Retuinskih is supposed to be teaching, while Vadim Kolganov is hosting. It's going to be covering sport and self defense, strength training and conditioning. I've trained with Vadim before on Sambo and honestly, loved every second of it. I hear this Systema version that Alexander uses is different from the usual stuff we diss on Bullshido due to the influences of other styles, but I wanted to ask if anyone had experience with Alexander before I decide to commit to it

Hanniballistic
5/31/2017 6:38pm,
I have a grade in ROSS and trained under Matt Clempner.

It's ok as it goes...certainly has its moments

Definitely go check it out

halfcut
5/31/2017 7:38pm,
You should definitely go. Retuinskih is one of the more decorated and highly regarded Sambo coaches there is, and has been Russian National Sambo teams coach in the past. On a side note I would really classify ROSS as Systema in the sense you're thinking it is, It's​ more like a renovated Sambo style with some different elements... Also they are big on sparring and competing. Retuinskih was part of the original government research in initiative along with Kadochnikov that created Systema, but after it ended he folded most of the material back into Sambo.

If you've trained with Vadim before you're already going to be familiar with some of it as Retuinskih is Vadim's coach.
I'll ping Michael Tzadok to chime in here; he was part of the initial ROSS group in the U.S. and has personally trained with Retuinskih.

BackFistMonkey
5/31/2017 7:43pm,
Ok so the Sambo guys I trained with at a seminar posted about a seminar on ROSS system/Sambo cross training seminar in Glasgow, a goo 2 and a half hours train away from me but its direct. Im tempted to go but to my knowledge isnt ROSS a Systema offshoot (which the event describes as being crossed with Sambo) so Im curious if it's worth a peak? anyone have any experience with ROSS. Alexander Retuinskih is supposed to be teaching, while Vadim Kolganov is hosting. It's going to be covering sport and self defense, strength training and conditioning. I've trained with Vadim before on Sambo and honestly, loved every second of it. I hear this Systema version that Alexander uses is different from the usual stuff we diss on Bullshido due to the influences of other styles, but I wanted to ask if anyone had experience with Alexander before I decide to commit to it

From what I understand, I wouldn't miss it for the world. You will 90% chance get some fun interesting stuff and 10% chance you got the name wrong and you will witness some serious hilarity.

*edit*
And thank you for putting it in the right forum this time.

Michael Tzadok
5/31/2017 11:46pm,
Ok so the Sambo guys I trained with at a seminar posted about a seminar on ROSS system/Sambo cross training seminar in Glasgow, a goo 2 and a half hours train away from me but its direct. Im tempted to go but to my knowledge isnt ROSS a Systema offshoot (which the event describes as being crossed with Sambo) so Im curious if it's worth a peak? anyone have any experience with ROSS. Alexander Retuinskih is supposed to be teaching, while Vadim Kolganov is hosting. It's going to be covering sport and self defense, strength training and conditioning. I've trained with Vadim before on Sambo and honestly, loved every second of it. I hear this Systema version that Alexander uses is different from the usual stuff we diss on Bullshido due to the influences of other styles, but I wanted to ask if anyone had experience with Alexander before I decide to commit to it

I wouldn't miss a chance to train with Retuinskih. He's a great coach with some really great insights. What he calls "Systema" is nothing like what we make fun of here, though I will admit that it has some of its hokey moments(but that is most Martial Arts). That vast majority of what he tells you will be solid material.

Anything Sambo/Judo related will be absolutely solid, he has coached the Russian national team 3 times. Most of his self defense stuff will be good.

Weapons defense- Take it with a grain of salt. In his younger days he would let you attack him with shock knives(or even live blades) to prove that it worked, but then Liveleaks happened and the view of such attacks changed... Anyway I don't put much stock in his weapons defense.

Conditioning- This I have to break into sub categories
1) Traditional strength and cardio conditioning- This stuff is really solid and based on actual science.
2) Zdrovye- Think of it as Russian Yoga, it's a mixed bag. I think most of it works well for movement and flexibility, but as it came from Russian folk medicine it has a lot of the same hokey claims about health and energy regeneration you see with yoga. As long as you only take it as a flexibility/Range of Motion thing you should be fine.

BackFistMonkey
5/31/2017 11:54pm,
This particular question could have also been at home in the Basic Technique forum now that I think about it.