PDA

View Full Version : The "caliber" wars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

Devil
2/13/2017 11:26pm,
This is only somewhat on topic but I've been thinking about it a lot lately so I'll blather about it a bit.

I'm a gun whore. I love it all. I have tons of calibers, tons of different models of guns. But sometimes I look at it all and think it's just a worthless pile of **** aside from just a few essentials.

Collectors build their collections. That's just the way it is. But lately I've been thinking about selling a bunch of **** and increasing my capabilities instead of my eye candy.

I'm thinking about a much leaner collection but with top of the line night vision gear, optics, suppressors, etc.

All the pretty guns in the world can't save your ass from a trained dude in the dark who has the proper gear to function there.

Just random Monday night thoughts.

Ming Loyalist
2/13/2017 11:32pm,
As far as 1911s go, the Dan Wesson Valor needs no justification. It's the firearms equivalent of a mint condition, fully restored, custom '57 Chevy Bel Air.

i sure do love mine :)

GrouchyOldMan
2/13/2017 11:40pm,
i sure do love mine :)

I'm reading a little bit of smug condescension in that reply. And, with a weapon as nice as that, you have not only the right, but I believe, the obligation to be smug and condescending. I'm jealous!

GrouchyOldMan
2/13/2017 11:51pm,
This is only somewhat on topic but I've been thinking about it a lot lately so I'll blather about it a bit.

I'm a gun whore. I love it all. I have tons of calibers, tons of different models of guns. But sometimes I look at it all and think it's just a worthless pile of **** aside from just a few essentials.

Collectors build their collections. That's just the way it is. But lately I've been thinking about selling a bunch of **** and increasing my capabilities instead of my eye candy.

I'm thinking about a much leaner collection but with top of the line night vision gear, optics, suppressors, etc.

All the pretty guns in the world can't save your ass from a trained dude in the dark who has the proper gear to function there.

Just random Monday night thoughts.

A random thought, sparked by yours, straying even more off topic...Thinking you are armed because you are holding a gun is the equivalent of thinking you are a musician because you are holding a guitar.

I guess the ultimate question is what capabilities are you wanting to increase? It sounds like maybe your mind is close quarters, zombie apocalypse, total shtf but not quite eotwawki.

If that is the case, maybe keep the collection, or sell off some of the lesser-cool oddities or duplicate calibers/platforms, and just focus more on what tickles your fancy at the moment.

My collection is a lot of one-offs that I justify owning for various reasons, but ultimately just wanted. But I have a small "core" (for lack of a better term) collection of tried and true, go to guns, geeked out exactly how I want them, that I will never get rid of, and that I am willing to invest a little more heavily in because they won't ever be going anywhere.

Don't know if any of that is even relevant to what you are saying. Like you, late Monday random thoughts...

Devil
2/14/2017 6:27am,
A random thought, sparked by yours, straying even more off topic...Thinking you are armed because you are holding a gun is the equivalent of thinking you are a musician because you are holding a guitar.

I guess the ultimate question is what capabilities are you wanting to increase? It sounds like maybe your mind is close quarters, zombie apocalypse, total shtf but not quite eotwawki.

If that is the case, maybe keep the collection, or sell off some of the lesser-cool oddities or duplicate calibers/platforms, and just focus more on what tickles your fancy at the moment.

My collection is a lot of one-offs that I justify owning for various reasons, but ultimately just wanted. But I have a small "core" (for lack of a better term) collection of tried and true, go to guns, geeked out exactly how I want them, that I will never get rid of, and that I am willing to invest a little more heavily in because they won't ever be going anywhere.

Don't know if any of that is even relevant to what you are saying. Like you, late Monday random thoughts...

The capability to kill people and the capability to hunt for food at night when others can't do so effectively. In short, survival capabilities that the vast majority of humans on the planet do not have.

And it wouldn't be a matter of just selling a few things. It would mean selling a lot. Thermal scopes are not cheap.

Cassius
2/14/2017 6:43am,
Thankfully my collection is not too extensive at this point. I am planning on purchasing a Sig SRD762TI and then one of the modular suppressor kits (undecided on which one) in the next couple years whether or not HPA passes. Night vision and thermals are a no go for me at this point. I would have to sell most of my firearms to afford stuff that I want. They are certainly a capability enhancement, and many seem to enjoy hunting at night so there is at least some practical purpose to them beyond SD. On the other hand, electronics don't hold value as well as firearms, generally speaking. That may matter more to some than others.

itwasntme
2/14/2017 11:14am,
The capability to kill people and the capability to hunt for food at night when others can't do so effectively. In short, survival capabilities that the vast majority of humans on the planet do not have.

And it wouldn't be a matter of just selling a few things. It would mean selling a lot. Thermal scopes are not cheap.

how much night hunting do you plan to do in this situation? that would be the worst time of day to leave your family. and if you're having to fight a trained dude in the dark, what are the odds that you'll be able access and utilize your night gear before you're dead?

not necessarily trying to **** on your parade, but what the fine details of the devil contingency plan here?

GrouchyOldMan
2/14/2017 11:15am,
The price on night vision stuff has really come down, comparative to what it used to be back in the day. Of course, that is a relative statement, and the really good stuff will still cost. Now, thermal optics, yeah...I really don't know much about thermal, precisely because it IS so expensive, that I have never even entertained it as a realistic possibility. So, I really can't speak to that subject intelligently, except to agree that yes, it will cost...A LOT!

GrouchyOldMan
2/14/2017 11:26am,
Back to the actual topic at hand...one of the other criteria I factored into my ultimate "best caliber" choices, is the availability of platform in COTS weaponry. The 9mm is available in just about any platform you could hope for (subcompact, full frame, single and double action, striker fired, revolver, carbine, full auto, carbine/submachine gun).

The .308 Winchester is not my personal favorite in a rifle cartridge (that goes to the .30-06), but I still chose it over the old 'ought 6, because you can find anything from bolt action, to classic "battle rifles", to semi automatic hunting platforms, to AR style, all chambered in .308. The .30-06 is largely relegated to bolt action, with a miscellaneous pump or semi-auto in a classic sporting/hunting type configuration. The .308 cartridge itself is deemed versatile enough that you can find a platform for every application from close range tactical, to long range precision shooting, single shot to 30 round capacity.

As far as the 12 gauge, it's the most ubiquitous shotgun round on the planet.If the application is suitable to a shotgun, someone, somewhere makes a gun for it chambered for 12 gauge.

Kovacs
2/14/2017 12:03pm,
how much night hunting do you plan to do in this situation? that would be the worst time of day to leave your family. and if you're having to fight a trained dude in the dark, what are the odds that you'll be able access and utilize your night gear before you're dead?

not necessarily trying to **** on your parade, but what the fine details of the devil contingency plan here?

Not answering for devil but for myself, and purely for fighting and not for hunting but to become proficient at working at night is a massive advantage over people, even a lot of trained soldiers avoid operating at night if then can but to embrace it and get used to it is a huge bonus.

itwasntme
2/14/2017 12:14pm,
Not answering for devil but for myself, and purely for fighting and not for hunting but to become proficient at working at night is a massive advantage over people, even a lot of trained soldiers avoid operating at night if then can but to embrace it and get used to it is a huge bonus.

i agree completely, but that raises two more questions for me: 1) are you (anyone) training to use these tools in the exact environment you'd need them?, and 2) are you (anyone) able to set aside the amount of time to adequately train for that exact situation, with everything else average people have going on day to day?

i'm just wondering if time and money would be better spent doing basic firearms training and reliable firearms than gear that is extremely situational in its application, at least for the average joe.

Devil
2/14/2017 12:26pm,

Haha, young pupil. I'm afraid you have made a faulty assumption. What makes you think I would be using my night vision gear defensively instead of offensively? Not that it couldn't be used defensively. You just aren't thinking in a military sense. In a situation where there is fighting, there should always be people on watch. Everybody is not asleep at the same time, ever.

Also, night time is a great time to hunt animals or attack humans. Leaving my family? Why are you assuming we are alone?

You're thinking too narrowly.

Kovacs
2/14/2017 12:34pm,
i agree completely, but that raises two more questions for me: 1) are you (anyone) training to use these tools in the exact environment you'd need them?, and 2) are you (anyone) able to set aside the amount of time to adequately train for that exact situation, with everything else average people have going on day to day?

i'm just wondering if time and money would be better spent doing basic firearms training and reliable firearms than gear that is extremely situational in its application, at least for the average joe.

Fair points. Assuming that the NVG's are affordable an individual can practice throughout their house to their heart's content, fair enough they can't shoot but they can get used to donning them quickly and moving about with them on and handling an unloaded weapon. It raises the question of if they're practical if you only have seconds to prepare and that obviously comes down to the timings on the day.

This is all based on time and money as you said and if the individual only has a modicum of both then stick to training solid basic firearm drills and shooting.

Good basics are what keeps the bogey men away.

itwasntme
2/14/2017 12:47pm,
Haha, young pupil. I'm afraid you have made a faulty assumption. What makes you think I would be using my night vision gear defensively instead of offensively? Not that it couldn't be used defensively. You just aren't thinking in a military sense. In a situation where there is fighting, there should always be people on watch. Everybody is not asleep at the same time, ever.

Also, night time is a great time to hunt animals or attack humans. Leaving my family? Why are you assuming we are alone?

You're thinking too narrowly.

i assumed since you were talking about selling your guns and then said something about fighting against a trained assailant, that you meant you wanted the gear more for defensive situations.

i'm just applying my situation to yours, since i thought we generally have similar views of those around us. in a shtf situation, i trust no other man with my family. i am the military. now, i'm sure eventually there would be communities established, i follow the walking dead, but in the beginning, when chaos will likely be at it's highest, i wouldn't leave my daughter with most people i know and wouldn't want to sleep long enough to allow another man to post watch.

not that having a band of brothers is a bad idea, just that i don't know enough people i would trust in a situation like that to call them a brother.

edit: and yeah, night time is the best for activities for concealment, but as i stated, in my situation i would be very much alone (by choice) and wouldn't want to leave my family at night. other than that, night time, **** yeah!

itwasntme
2/14/2017 12:49pm,
Fair points. Assuming that the NVG's are affordable an individual can practice throughout their house to their heart's content, fair enough they can't shoot but they can get used to donning them quickly and moving about with them on and handling an unloaded weapon. It raises the question of if they're practical if you only have seconds to prepare and that obviously comes down to the timings on the day.

This is all based on time and money as you said and if the individual only has a modicum of both then stick to training solid basic firearm drills and shooting.

Good basics are what keeps the bogey men away.

exactly, i just don't imagine most people that make these purchases set aside the necessary amount of time, if any, to actually train for these situations.

this is one of the reasons i hate standard safeties on guns. it's just one more thing you have to **** with before you're ready to defend yourself and/or your family, and i'd rather train for accuracy and getting to my weapon than deactivating my safety in the middle of all that.

Devil
2/14/2017 12:50pm,
i assumed since you were talking about selling your guns and then said something about fighting against a trained assailant, that you meant you wanted the gear more for defensive situations.

i'm just applying my situation to yours, since i thought we generally have similar views of those around us. in a shtf situation, i trust no other man with my family. i am the military. now, i'm sure eventually there would be communities established, i follow the walking dead, but in the beginning, when chaos will likely be at it's highest, i wouldn't leave my daughter with most people i know and wouldn't want to sleep long enough to allow another man to post watch.

not that having a band of brothers is a bad idea, just that i don't know enough people i would trust in a situation like that to call them a brother.

I was the trained assailant that I was referring to.

I do have people that I trust. We're just waiting for the lights to go out so we can be our true selves.