PDA

View Full Version : Okay, opinion thread, why do I have a problem with this and what is your opinion

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Pship Destroyer
11/24/2016 12:01pm,
And he just got the red dot changed to a green one too.
This is a serious thread relating to training and such.

I doubt that, because I'm pretty sure I asked two serious questions about the comments he made on the video, and got Highlander quotes back in response.

The Forum says it's for "Basic" discussion, so I assumed new people and lower ranked belts can post questions here. If the thread is locked down to "experts" then enjoy yourselves, I won't ask any more questions like why a black belt thinks a slow-mo demo of ukemi is "very, very bad", or something is "ninja style". I assumed those were serious comments, so I asked questions hoping to understand what he meant.

And then there's this unnecessary snark?

Ben has already donated his Judo expertise several times on this thread.

Volunteer participants are not beholden to answer every question nor accommodate every demand made to them over the Internet.

I asked Ben specific questions about something he said. So why are you answering for him? He can answer for himself if he wants to or not. If he thinks my questions aren't worth answering, fine, but I don't think I need your lecture on what people do/don't have to do on the Internet. Thanks.

DCS
11/24/2016 12:36pm,
We're back into DHS times.

Making Bullshido great again.

Krampus
11/24/2016 12:39pm,
And then there's this unnecessary snark?
I asked Ben specific questions about something he said. So why are you answering for him? He can answer for himself if he wants to or not. If he thinks my questions aren't worth answering, fine, but I don't think I need your lecture on what people do/don't have to do on the Internet. Thanks.

Mainly because I enjoy reading Ben's commentary on Judo.
But I realize that his commentary is a gift, from which I benefit.
And when people start acting entitled about receiving gifts,
it often is a disincentive to the giver to continue giving.
And, entitlement comments or comments of unearned dissatisfaction
provide no value, not even amusing humor, within the discussion.

NeilG
11/24/2016 12:56pm,
If the thread is locked down to "experts" then enjoy yourselves, I won't ask any more questions like why a black belt thinks a slow-mo demo of ukemi is "very, very bad", or something is "ninja style".I think it was the general tone of your questions that resulted in the replies you got. Which continues.

However, to take the high road: if I were going to choose just one form of ukemi to demonstrate, it wouldn't be a slow-motion double-handed back breakfall with bad hand timing.

Not sure why Ben called the rolls "ninja-style", I presume he saw ninjers in the 80s doing them that way. In judo, we roll with the legs straight and use the momentum to stand up on the straight legs. Rolling into a bent-legged position is one of the bad habits we correct over and over again in beginners. If we take a fall on the side, the leg on the side hitting the mat is straight, and the other leg bent, to maximize force absorption using legs and feet. That's the breakfall I would have demonstrated if I were to pick one, as it is the most common falling position for judo. Maybe shitty double-backs are useful for BJJ guys pulling guard.

slamdunc
11/24/2016 1:13pm,
The Forum says it's for "Basic" discussion, so I assumed new people and lower ranked belts can post questions here. If the thread is locked down to "experts" then enjoy yourselves, The discussion was about essential techniques for beginners. I've been training for years and I'm definitely not any kind of "expert" (barely purple lol). These are all opinions from all different levels from day one people looking for a school to BJJ & Judo black belts and professional fighters. I was trying to point out that this discussion shouldn't be adversarial in nature.

Pship Destroyer
11/24/2016 1:34pm,
But I realize that his commentary is a gift, from which I benefit.
And when people start acting entitled about receiving gifts,
it often is a disincentive to the giver to continue giving.
And, entitlement comments or comments of unearned dissatisfaction
provide no value, not even amusing humor, within the discussion.

Who is acting entitled, me? For asking some "basic" questions from a "Judo Black Belt" in an online forum made for that??? What value do your posts provide other than to continuing talking like a huge snob? I'm wasting your time? OK then!

I think it was the general tone of your questions that resulted in the replies you got. Which continues.

Why should I have to worry about my "tone" asking basic questions about Judo in the Basic forum on Bullshido.net?

Are people here really that thin skinned you have to resort to banter and lectures about tone and entitlement, rather than "serious" discussion?

NO wonder nobody seems to post here. Yuge mistake on my part to do so. It's like I threw a bone to starving dogs.

Pship Destroyer
11/24/2016 1:36pm,
The discussion was about essential techniques for beginners. I've been training for years and I'm definitely not any kind of "expert" (barely purple lol). These are all opinions from all different levels from day one people looking for a school to BJJ & Judo black belts and professional fighters. I was trying to point out that this discussion shouldn't be adversarial in nature.

I agree it shouldn't be adversarial, which is why I'm confused about being lectured by more than 3 people about questions I asked a specific 4th person.

It's almost as if others are NOT treating this forum as a "serious" one. Listen I have turkey to eat, thankfully, I didn't post here as an "adversary", but clearly that's the rule of the game here. I asked questions so I'm entitled and everyone's gonna talk about that and not the judo video or the questions because I'm an entitled poster with a bad tone. I should just be thankful I can post at all, and wait for my next "gift" from Bullshido.net immortal elites.

Did I get all that right lol?

Like I said, enjoy your talk. Happy Thanksgiving.

It is Fake
11/24/2016 1:43pm,
I don't see any pavement or hardwood in these videos. And what do professional big purse tournaments have to do with these videos?

For a PhD you sure can't use an apostrophe correctly. Is your smart phone to blame?
If he was a PhD in specific forms of English you MIGHT have an argument. As his PhD pertains to NOTHING in this thread, forum nor martial arts STFU.

NeilG
11/24/2016 1:59pm,
Why should I have to worry about my "tone" asking basic questions about Judo in the Basic forum on Bullshido.net? So you chose to ignore the technical response which I provided, and instead respond to my rather mild criticism of your previous post, and you wonder about the attitude of the people here rather than yourself? You might consider whether you are looking for information or an argument. If the latter, arguments are down the hall, 5 for 10 minutes.

Pship Destroyer
11/24/2016 2:10pm,
So you chose to ignore the technical response which I provided, and instead respond to my rather mild criticism of your previous post, and you wonder about the attitude of the people here rather than yourself? You might consider whether you are looking for information or an argument. If the latter, arguments are down the hall, 5 for 10 minutes.

Was I supposed to argue with your technical response?? You said you were taking the "high road" so I guess that was your way of answering for BKR, but I was interested in him explaining more about his comments, that's all. I don't think it's argumentative to keep pointing out my intent to learn more about why he said those things. OR, My questions to Murphy about why he'd bring up hardwood floors when the videos are all mat work. It didn't make sense to me, so I asked questions. Asking questions is how you fuel a discussion, or so I thought. What I didn't foresee was that people would have a problem with my "tone" or "entitlement" about receiving posts as "gifts" That was a good one. If I'm anything in life, it's not "entitled"...and I really don't view the Internet opinion of anyone as a "gift". Informative, maybe, but not the kind of pedestal Murphy describes..

So, I was looking for more information from someone else in particular, not a lot of argument or negative feedback, but that ship has sailed apparently. I don't wonder about your attitudes, I've seen this sort of thing before. Beat on the new guy.

I've apparently pissed off the administrators who told me to stfu and I respect that, so I won't bother defending my original questions any longer. I think this place is bipolar, some people tell me argue, others tell me to stfu. I'll stfu. Hope that settles the question of who is being adversarial.

NeilG
11/24/2016 2:17pm,
Hope that settles the question of who is being adversarial.
That was settled some time ago.

Krampus
11/24/2016 2:28pm,
My questions to Murphy about why he'd bring up hardwood floors when the videos are all mat work. It didn't make sense to me, so I asked questions.

When one does falling correctly, or demonstrates it correctly, the details that would allow one to fall in such a way to mitigate as much damage as possible on safety mats or off of them are included in the demonstration and teaching of the falling technique.

To teach or demonstrate falling incorrectly, or with the wrong details, is dangerous because it is habit forming.

Good luck with your training.

DCS
11/24/2016 4:20pm,
To teach or demonstrate falling incorrectly, or with the wrong details, is dangerous because it is habit forming.
This.

Of course one has to consider that stylistic differences exist and what seems wrong maybe is not so wrong/unsafe in a different environment.

plasma
11/24/2016 5:33pm,
1.) Falling...well, those were really, really, bad ushiro ukemi (back falls), as you probably noticed. The zempo kaiten ukemi were OK, but were of the "ninja" style with the bent leg, designed to stand up from a soft roll. Not really useful taking a hard flat fall.
2.) If a white or yellow belt level O Goshi/Tsuri Goshi is OK for a purple belt to demo, so be it...
3.) Sprawling: Not me area of expertise, however, for a white belt the demo was OK.
4.) Breaking guard sucks, especially if you are small and the guy on bottom is strong as ****. It seems to me to be a very "technical" type of thing, not easily done against a reasonably skilled opponent. Hence, I avoid closed guard, LOl!
5.) Mount reversal: Well, what he shows can work...
6.) Taking back: I agree, that would seem to me to be a key component of BJJ/ground grappling in general.

I still do the "ninja" style front rolls. I consider a rolling break fall a separate falling technique.

DCS
11/24/2016 6:13pm,
I still do the "ninja" style front rolls.

Let's call them Sambo front rolls...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zac4D3p1iBE

... so they become legit.

Or commie rolls, therefore shitty.

Omega Supreme
11/24/2016 7:46pm,
Was I supposed to argue with your technical response?? You said you were taking the "high road" so I guess that was your way of answering for BKR, but I was interested in him explaining more about his comments, that's all. I don't think it's argumentative to keep pointing out my intent to learn more about why he said those things. OR, My questions to Murphy about why he'd bring up hardwood floors when the videos are all mat work. It didn't make sense to me, so I asked questions. Asking questions is how you fuel a discussion, or so I thought. What I didn't foresee was that people would have a problem with my "tone" or "entitlement" about receiving posts as "gifts" That was a good one. If I'm anything in life, it's not "entitled"...and I really don't view the Internet opinion of anyone as a "gift". Informative, maybe, but not the kind of pedestal Murphy describes..

So, I was looking for more information from someone else in particular, not a lot of argument or negative feedback, but that ship has sailed apparently. I don't wonder about your attitudes, I've seen this sort of thing before. Beat on the new guy.

I've apparently pissed off the administrators who told me to stfu and I respect that, so I won't bother defending my original questions any longer. I think this place is bipolar, some people tell me argue, others tell me to stfu. I'll stfu. Hope that settles the question of who is being adversarial.

Play the victim card much? I've been reading your comments and have chosen to ignore them despite ignorance in them. My original post qualified the rest of this thread including your original comment which was that this video was not a tutorial. Why do you insist on reiterating the point and then cry when people answer you? These are rhetorical questions, I don't really want an answer, I just want you to stop your whining.