PDA

View Full Version : Question about dojo..

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

mongke
11/16/2016 11:12pm,
Hello guys,

I am from the Kansas City Missouri area and have been looking at different schools in the area.

I have come across this school Shogun Martial Arts Center. http://shogunmai.com
My interest has been piqued because he talks about non Brazilian jujitsu. I would like your opinions on
this as I am hitting dead ends trying to research the different arts listed on the site.

Thanks,
John

Kravbizarre
11/17/2016 1:12am,
So you wanna do a jiujitsu that isnt brazilian correct? The site boasts student numbers and high belt degrees. I dont know anything about the styles mentioned and if you say you cant find anything caution is advised. One thing i thought was really strange was he had a 7th degree in 'karate jitsu'. I have never even heard of that before. Karate jitsu sounds like some obscure self branded art that some places do. Like how some dojos will add kai to the end of an already long name.

Best way to narrow down what your looking for is to compile a list of what you want out of the art. If he teaches like all the other 'japanese jiujitsu' places i seen it will be traditional, complient, some sparring and have some weapon techs and some bad aikido, karate and judo.

DCS
11/17/2016 3:28am,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GdmkCtOLBs
I'm not really impressed.

Cake of Doom
11/17/2016 6:34am,
The web page got my McDojo sense tingling. The styles look like re-branded Ke?po/Shotokan with a bit of reverse engineered judo/Aikido/taijutsu thrown in. that's a possible 'worst case'; best case would be to replace Shotokan with Kyokushin. On the up side, they do spar (quality unknown) but you can only use gear you've purchased from their shop. Buyer beware.

DCS
11/17/2016 7:45am,
I'm unable to figure Mr. Brown's Aiki Ju Jutsu lineage.

Also:

https://www.facebook.com/ShogunMartialArtsCenterInternationalInc/videos/vb.229616883847855/780318418777696/?type=2&theater

I'd say there's only two people in decent shape and only one with decent technique.

submessenger
11/17/2016 7:56am,
moved from MABS

ermghoti
11/17/2016 11:03am,
My interest has been piqued because he talks about non Brazilian jujitsu.

BJJ rose from obscurity to, arguably, the world's preeminent grappling art, as tested in competition, in about 5-10 years. You're interested in one of the arts it so easily replaced. You should also look into a good horse to enter into the Indy 500 while you're at it.

searcher66071
11/17/2016 4:05pm,
To the OP, are you looking for some Jujitsu that is not of the Brazilian lineage? If so, you can go to any of the Welcome Mat schools and train in Shingitai Jujitsu(and Sambo and Judo). Not to mention that there are numerous BJJ schools in the area.

I know Gregg Brown, and some of his former students. IMO, he is a used car salesman. Each of his students that I know, have all been glad to move on, and have strong feelings of negativity towards him after experiencing other schools.

**disclaimer. I have no personal interest in him or his school, as it is a good distance away from me, and it does not directly affect myself, or my school.**

BKR
11/17/2016 7:05pm,
To the OP, are you looking for some Jujitsu that is not of the Brazilian lineage? If so, you can go to any of the Welcome Mat schools and train in Shingitai Jujitsu(and Sambo and Judo). Not to mention that there are numerous BJJ schools in the area.

I know Gregg Brown, and some of his former students. IMO, he is a used car salesman. Each of his students that I know, have all been glad to move on, and have strong feelings of negativity towards him after experiencing other schools.

**disclaimer. I have no personal interest in him or his school, as it is a good distance away from me, and it does not directly affect myself, or my school.**

I was going to mention Welcome Mat and Shingitai as well...

mongke
11/18/2016 1:05am,
Thanks for all the replies. Yes it is true I am interested in a none Brazilian lineage. Not because I think there is anything wrong with it, just because from what I have seen of it I just am not drawn to it. I am not looking for an art to start so I can get in a cage and fight. I am looking for an art to get me active and hold my interest. I am a middle age fat guy that sets behind a desk most of the day. A follow up question on the Shingitai. Do the teach strikes in their training? Or is it a mix of judo with just the ground grappling of bjj mixed in?

Thanks again for all the input

DCS
11/18/2016 3:45am,
I am not looking for an art to start so I can get in a cage and fight. I am looking for an art to get me active and hold my interest. I am a middle age fat guy that sets behind a desk most of the day.

Not sure if this place (http://midwestmartialartsacademy.com/gracie-jiu-jitsu/) is in your area but the GJJ places tend to be friendly to people in your situation and more focused in "self defense" than in cage fighting.

ermghoti
11/18/2016 10:17am,
I am looking for an art to get me active and hold my interest. I am a middle age fat guy that sets behind a desk most of the day. A follow up question on the Shingitai. Do the teach strikes in their training? Or is it a mix of judo with just the ground grappling of bjj mixed in?

I'm a middle aged fat guy doing BJJ for the same reasons you want to take up an art.

goodlun
11/18/2016 11:55am,
Not because I think there is anything wrong with it, just because from what I have seen of it I just am not drawn to it.

I would say it would be worthwhile for you to go down and give it a try.

I am not looking for an art to starting so I can get in a cage and fight. I am looking for an art to getting me active and hold my interest.

This part is very important for sure, I would say though I can't stand it when people open with I am not looking to be a cage fighter bullshit, though.
BJJ is so much larger than that, the fact that it so happens to also be effective for fighting shouldn't ever be why people go well it's not for me.
BJJ is physical chess, its one of the things that keep it really interesting.

I am a middle age fat guy that sets behind a desk most of the day.

Join the club that is what most people are. There is nothing about BJJ where either of these two things is problems.
I have been on the mat with 70-year-old guys just starting out. Plenty of middle age dudes just starting out in it.
Don't let your age or weight dissuade you from learning something effective.
No one is going to expect you to get into a "cage" or compete with the young bucks.

A follow up question on the Shingitai. Do the teach strikes in their training?

I am going to go with not really.

Or is it a mix of judo with just the ground grappling of BJJ mixed in?

You are new so it is forgiven, but the ground grappling of BJJ comes from Judo.
Ground Grappling is not equal to BJJ.
BJJ is an art that does emphasize ground fighting but there are plenty of arts that have ground fighting in them.
Including:
Wrestling of all sorts
Judo
SAMBO
Shingitai

Just because you see ground fighting does not mean it is BJJ.
In the case of Shingitai, its roots are also Judo.
So its ground work is much closer to Judo with some of the banned moves lifted.

Thanks again for all the input

No problem, please do not read what I am saying in a hostile way. It is friendly to advise.
I really think that if you are interested in any sort of JJ to go and take one of the many free trial BJJ classes you can take.
You might be very surprised.

patfromlogan
11/18/2016 4:16pm,

So it seems that it's bullshit. And I took the time to google Okinawan Kenpo Ryokai, one of the several arts Brown sez he has a 7th Dan in... And the only results were his page. Sounds like bullshit to me. I've been training for 50 years and have never met anyone with a 7th dan in an art that can't be found, and as a matter of fact I've only met a couple high dan ranks in my life and they were legit as hell, had ranking from organizations like kyokushinkai or a Hawaiian kempo system that has thousands of members and has lineages that check out easily. There are tons of martial arts schools in your area, mostly tae kwon do kiddie classes, but some look good, and I've trained good TKD, so it does exist, I've also trained good Shotokan,
I'd look around - Ryukyu Martial Arts is where I'd start. That place reeks of honesty and legitimacy and I'd wager that the owner will either be good to train with or turn you onto some good people.

mongke
11/19/2016 6:45pm,
OK so because of this thread I have taken a step back and thought about why I feel like BJJ is not for me. I think a couple of things come to mind, one being my size and lack of physical fitness (the reason I am trying to find an art). The second is the lack of or perceived lack of striking in BJJ. I realize I can supplement the striking by adding in boxing/muay thai(or any other striking art). So all this being said I have decided to take the advice from multiple people on this thread and give it a try.

So that being said I have narrowed it down to 3 places here in kc.
http://graciehumaitakansascity.com
http://kcbjj.com/
and last
http://midwestmartialartsacademy.com/gracie-jiu-jitsu

The first two are in stronger contention because they are closer to my home than the 3rd. The 3rd is about 45 minutes away.
Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks John

Holy Moment
11/19/2016 9:06pm,
This is JJJ at its best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NepxSuQF7Zw

But a lot of JJJ places won't teach you to fight like this.