PDA

View Full Version : GSP exits stage left

Pages : [1] 2

Bneterasedmynam
10/18/2016 8:00am,
I didn't see this posted anywhere yet, GSP has left the UFC in search of greener pastures.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2670197-georges-st-pierre-announces-he-has-left-ufc-latest-comments-reaction#

Kind of a big name fighter for the UFC to lose.

submessenger
10/18/2016 8:11am,
No big surprise. He hasn't stepped in the Octagon for 3 years.

My favorite part of the article, though, is this:

"Most fighters are starving, which is good for the UFC," he added, per Brett Okamoto of ESPN.com. "If your employees are starving, they are easier to control."

We recently had a conversation about purses, and I was the odd-man out; my position was that most fighters can't afford to pay the bills. That's an opinion I gleaned from two different people who are close to many UFC fighters.

Tranquil Suit
10/18/2016 9:44am,
Before anyone blames the new UFC owners, (majority) fighter pay has turned to **** ever since the Reebok deal.

submessenger
10/18/2016 9:55am,
Before anyone blames the new UFC owners, (majority) fighter pay has turned to **** ever since the Reebok deal.

I think Reebok was an effect, not the cause. PPV is the problem, or at least all their major events on PPV is the problem. I'm not gonna buy the PPV for **** like 203. I'll maybe go to a sports bar to watch it, but, really, I'll just wait for the online versions a week later. UFC on Fox was a good effort to break that mold, but too little, too late. Hopefully, the new ownership is better at taking events to broadcast TV and the interwebz.

Michael Tzadok
10/18/2016 10:10am,
No big surprise. He hasn't stepped in the Octagon for 3 years.

My favorite part of the article, though, is this:

We recently had a conversation about purses, and I was the odd-man out; my position was that most fighters can't afford to pay the bills. That's an opinion I gleaned from two different people who are close to many UFC fighters.
That is pretty much what the documentary "Fight Life" says about fighters as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZipb3HkF4o

I think Reebok was an effect, not the cause. PPV is the problem, or at least all their major events on PPV is the problem. I'm not gonna buy the PPV for **** like 203. I'll maybe go to a sports bar to watch it, but, really, I'll just wait for the online versions a week later. UFC on Fox was a good effort to break that mold, but too little, too late. Hopefully, the new ownership is better at taking events to broadcast TV and the interwebz.
Personally I think extending the Ali Act to cover other combat sports would go a long way to helping fighters get a fair piece of the pie.
http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/15589773/bill-aims-expand-muhammad-ali-boxing-reform-act-mma

BKR
10/18/2016 10:18am,
That is pretty much what the documentary "Fight Life" says about fighters as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZipb3HkF4o

Personally I think extending the Ali Act to cover other combat sports would go a long way to helping fighters get a fair piece of the pie.
http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/15589773/bill-aims-expand-muhammad-ali-boxing-reform-act-mma

We had another (albeit short) conversation on another thread about asshole bosses and wage slavery...

Just another example with fighters.

Bneterasedmynam
10/18/2016 12:27pm,
For the most part fighters are just meat for hire which is a long tradition in pretty much all paid fighting dating back a couple thousand years. So nothing new there. The smart ones use their name recognition to find better occupations like movies.

goodlun
10/19/2016 12:08pm,
http://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/5-shocking-facts-about-the-ufc-pay-scale/

Damn those figures hurt, they use to be able to make some money on the back end with sponsors.
Most will make some money teaching martial arts as well.
But fight camp can set you back some money so it really is a shitty industry until you start getting top bill.

Bneterasedmynam
10/19/2016 3:09pm,
http://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/5-shocking-facts-about-the-ufc-pay-scale/

Damn those figures hurt, they use to be able to make some money on the back end with sponsors.
Most will make some money teaching martial arts as well.
But fight camp can set you back some money so it really is a shitty industry until you start getting top bill.

I think the UFC really fucked over their fighters when they killed the sponsorship aspect. Do the other venues allow sponsors??

JohnnyCache
10/20/2016 7:28pm,
The Reebok deal is fucking grotesque.

Mandem
10/27/2016 5:13am,
I'm a little late to the thread but I would just like to point out that the UFC made a profit of over $157m last year. I think at this point the fighters should unionise, tell Dana to **** off and start their own co-op promotion

Bneterasedmynam
10/27/2016 8:09am,
I'm a little late to the thread but I would just like to point out that the UFC made a profit of over $157m last year. I think at this point the fighters should unionise, tell Dana to **** off and start their own co-op promotion

LOL, yeah because Dana would ever let them unionize. Get real Dana is a high level Republican. I'm sure you have heard of them, the union busting party. That movement would get crushed fast.

Mandem
10/27/2016 8:58am,
LOL, yeah because Dana would ever let them unionize. Get real Dana is a high level Republican. I'm sure you have heard of them, the union busting party. That movement would get crushed fast.

I do see your point, but the thing about the UFC is they have a highly skilled workforce who they can't operate without or replace with machines, some of whom have very important name recognition, so the fighters do have a certain amount of leverage. I agree it's unlikely to happen

Bneterasedmynam
10/27/2016 11:28am,
I do see your point, but the thing about the UFC is they have a highly skilled workforce who they can't operate without or replace with machines, some of whom have very important name recognition, so the fighters do have a certain amount of leverage. I agree it's unlikely to happen

I don't think they have that much leverage. There is basically an unlimited supply of fighters who are hungry for fame and championship belts. Those fighters will show up on their knees to suck Dana's dick just for a shot to make it big.

Devil
10/27/2016 11:58am,
I believe there will be a fighter's union at some point. The UFC can't stop it. If they can't meet the demands of the fighters, some other organization will. Refusing to work with the union would jeopardize the entire business. It's really just a matter of the fighters getting organized and demanding it.

I believe the market can bear more pay for the fighters and eventually the fighters will get what the market will bear.

Ming Loyalist
10/27/2016 1:45pm,
I believe there will be a fighter's union at some point. The UFC can't stop it. If they can't meet the demands of the fighters, some other organization will. Refusing to work with the union would jeopardize the entire business. It's really just a matter of the fighters getting organized and demanding it.

hold on a second. that sounds like dirty commie talk that would come out of some evil place like new york city!

who are you and why have you hijacked devil's account?