PDA

View Full Version : New for EBI in 2017 palm strikes

Pages : [1] 2 3

goodlun
10/05/2016 10:54pm,
https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/eddie-bravo-ebi-will-striking-2017/

Im going to finish what I started with combat jiu-jitsu. Were going to be EBI Combat Jiu-Jitsu. Imagine EBI just the way it is: 16-man jiu-jitsu tournament, same stage, everything looking the same, same 10-minute rounds with the overtimes except when the competitors are on the ground, open palm strikes, old Pancrase style to open up the submissions, to increase the submissions even more. No punches, no MMA gloves . . . no elbows, no kicks . . . were going to have that in 2017.

I approve!

Tramirezmma
10/05/2016 11:18pm,
That's fucking cool

Kravbizarre
10/06/2016 7:11pm,
Im not a fan. Whats stopping somone palm striking the other guy till he taps? Its no longer a jiujitsu comp at that stage.

Holy Moment
10/06/2016 7:24pm,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fonltNCP0Q0

Dr. Gonzo
10/06/2016 7:30pm,
The more Jiu-Jitsu and submission grappling rulesets
(especially with good prizes for the competitors)
the better it is for Jiu-Jitsu and submission grappling.

Holy Moment
10/06/2016 7:31pm,
Needs at least closed-fist punches to the body, preferably knees and elbows as well.

Then you'll be going Pancrazy.

Tramirezmma
10/06/2016 9:26pm,
Im not a fan. Whats stopping somone palm striking the other guy till he taps? Its no longer a jiujitsu comp at that stage.

It's not? Why?

I disagree that adding striking makes it not BJJ. BJJ is supposed to be a self defense art in addition to a sport, proper BJJ training should involve strikes, IMO, and so competitions should add well, IMO.

goodlun
10/06/2016 9:36pm,

So what if someone does? BJJ is ground fighting not just grappling.

Kravbizarre
10/06/2016 10:03pm,
It's not? Why?

I disagree that adding striking makes it not BJJ. BJJ is supposed to be a self defense art in addition to a sport, proper BJJ training should involve strikes, IMO, and so competitions should add well, IMO.

Judo is also a self defence art and sport. Would it be right to add striking to that? Or what about ground fighting to karate matches?

When you allow a form of attack that isnt part of the art per se (some places may teach you to defend strikes but wont really teach you to do them. Realistically though you bjj for grappling, if you wanna punch learn boxing) you'll find people will sometimes over emphasize this.

Eddie bravo said the palm strikes will open up new submissions. How can you create something from this unless of course he means something like you were going for an armbar but the guy is defending it so you slap him to loosen his grip.

If its the latter then then showing your jiujitsu skill is reduced. If something isnt working try something else. i compete jiujitsu to improve my jiujitsu and test my ability in that art.

Also whats the bet some development will go into how to slap from certain position ect (which once again trails away from the art).

This is my opinion though and eddie bravo can do what he likes. But the above is why i disagree with it.

goodlun
10/06/2016 10:12pm,
Judo is also a self defence art and sport. Would it be right to add striking to that? Or what about ground fighting to karate matches?

When you allow a form of attack that isnt part of the art per se (some places may teach you to defend strikes but wont really teach you to do them. Realistically though you bjj for grappling, if you wanna punch learn boxing) you'll find people will sometimes over emphasize this.

Eddie bravo said the palm strikes will open up new submissions. How can you create something from this unless of course he means something like you were going for an armbar but the guy is defending it so you slap him to loosen his grip.

If its the latter then then showing your jiujitsu skill is reduced. If something isnt working try something else. i compete jiujitsu to improve my jiujitsu and test my ability in that art.

Also whats the bet some development will go into how to slap from certain position ect (which once again trails away from the art).

This is my opinion though and eddie bravo can do what he likes. But the above is why i disagree with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSyEqV0fiB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF1zk_MBC3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5fCUISsiIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITmDdJgI6Nw

goodlun
10/06/2016 10:13pm,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbfngqfFwJg

Raycetpfl
10/06/2016 10:39pm,

You have never taken my class on how the mount really works. :-p

Holy Moment
10/07/2016 5:34am,
Or what about ground fighting to karate matches?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5AvCcLwaJQ

Michael Tzadok
10/07/2016 7:06am,
Had a guy try to deliver 2 closed fist punches to the face last night in class because he couldn't lock in the arm bar and was frustrated that I was "using my strength instead of skill to defend." Well there was definitely skill in ducking the crown of my forehead into his oncoming fist which ended his punching attempts. In the end he never did sink said arm bar and moved on. Strikes won't weaken a concerted defense against a submission attempt. I really don't see how strikes will open up submissions, but if Eddie Bravo thinks so, I'm willing to wait and see how it plays out.

Quite possibly yes. People will always train and develop systems around rule sets. It wouldn't hurt BJJ to have some striking in the curriculum. Eddie Bravo and 10th Planet isn't, strictly speaking, the purest form of BJJ out there as is. Personally I'm all for a wait and see approach. Personally I don't think it's going to change much. Look at the UFC, short strikes with the hands(granted they can use closed fist because of the gloves) aren't used that much and aren't that effective on the ground unless someone gets the opportunity to really open up with some serious ground and pound.

We'll likely see the occasional knock out, but I don't think we are going to see a huge amount of striking, BJJ already is capable of shutting that down pretty well.

It's also possible that it will result in people being more conservative with what they do for not wanting to catch a stockton slap on the jaw. It would be kinda embarrassing to have to explain to your friends that you lost your BJJ match because you got slapped unconscious 5min into the second round.

Bneterasedmynam
10/07/2016 7:29am,
Had a guy try to deliver 2 closed fist punches to the face last night in class because he couldn't lock in the arm bar and was frustrated that I was "using my strength instead of skill to defend." Well there was definitely skill in ducking the crown of my forehead into his oncoming fist which ended his punching attempts. In the end he never did sink said arm bar and moved on. Strikes won't weaken a concerted defense against a submission attempt. I really don't see how strikes will open up submissions, but if Eddie Bravo thinks so, I'm willing to wait and see how it plays out.

Quite possibly yes. People will always train and develop systems around rule sets. It wouldn't hurt BJJ to have some striking in the curriculum. Eddie Bravo and 10th Planet isn't, strictly speaking, the purest form of BJJ out there as is. Personally I'm all for a wait and see approach. Personally I don't think it's going to change much. Look at the UFC, short strikes with the hands(granted they can use closed fist because of the gloves) aren't used that much and aren't that effective on the ground unless someone gets the opportunity to really open up with some serious ground and pound.

We'll likely see the occasional knock out, but I don't think we are going to see a huge amount of striking, BJJ already is capable of shutting that down pretty well.

It's also possible that it will result in people being more conservative with what they do for not wanting to catch a stockton slap on the jaw. It would be kinda embarrassing to have to explain to your friends that you lost your BJJ match because you got slapped unconscious 5min into the second round.

A palm strike is not a slap first off. And second strikes can most certainly open an opportunity for a submission. Using the crown of the head can have mixed results against closed fist strikes, but it's not really effective at stopping palm strikes.

Dr. Gonzo
10/07/2016 7:50am,
You new guys to BJJ amaze me with comments like "maybe BJJ would benefit by adding striking into the curriculum".

We always trained BJJ in the context of people hitting us,

usually with people hitting us while we were grappling a few times a week at a minimum

while I got my G/BJJ belts from white belt to black belt through the nineties.

I do not mean to glamorize this next part, and I now think it is a bad idea

but we used to have regular walk in's wanting a street fight on the mats

to test themselves or G/BJJ, and we would accommodate them.

The true test of G/BJJ was always against an opponent who was striking you,

and only in the past 15 years or so has the pure gi grappling sport BJJ and pure no gi submission grappling

really taken off, mainly due to the momentum the IBJJF, the Abu Dhabi, and the other sport tournament providers have achieved.

We used to have to buy a plane ticket to compete to Brazil or Southern California to compete in sports BJJ without striking.

Competition as a BJJ competitor before the universality of the sport BJJ without striking

was more commonly shootfighting, challenge fighting (Vale Tudo), or entering Judo tournaments

and hoping you did not get disqualified for playing a more BJJ style ground game in the Judo tournaments.