PDA

View Full Version : Inside leg kick

Pages : [1] 2

Bneterasedmynam
8/27/2016 5:48pm,
In an effort to actually discuss martial arts I figured I would ask an actual martial arts question for a change. So other than not being a dick move is there really any advantage to targeting the thigh over the knee with an inside leg kick?? The knee seems to have more of a buckle the leg effect than the thigh, but I could be wrong there. So advise me please on why the thigh over the knee.

Bneterasedmynam
8/27/2016 5:50pm,
Oh if this thread is better suited to the technical forum, I wasn't sure the best place to post it.

goodlun
8/27/2016 6:01pm,
In an effort to actually discuss martial arts I figured I would ask an actual martial arts question for a change. So other than not being a dick move is there really any advantage to targeting the thigh over the knee with an inside leg kick?? The knee seems to have more of a buckle the leg effect than the thigh, but I could be wrong there. So advise me please on why the thigh over the knee.

The knee really isn't that fragile its just not, it supports your weight at all sorts of odd angles, coming from that angle it really isn't likely to buckle, especially since the knee can move in that direction. The knee itself is pretty hard, we do use it to you know strike people in the head. The thigh on the other hand is a nice soft target (relativity speaking). It is also a much bigger target.

MrGalt
8/27/2016 6:06pm,
Not to mention kicking someone in the knee is pretty unpleasant to the kicker as well.

Bneterasedmynam
8/27/2016 6:30pm,
Not to mention kicking someone in the knee is pretty unpleasant to the kicker as well.

From the outside I would agree, but to the inside you hit on a more fragile target.

Bneterasedmynam
8/27/2016 6:32pm,
The knee really isn't that fragile its just not, it supports your weight at all sorts of odd angles, coming from that angle it really isn't likely to buckle, especially since the knee can move in that direction. The knee itself is pretty hard, we do use it to you know strike people in the head. The thigh on the other hand is a nice soft target (relativity speaking). It is also a much bigger target.

I don't mean buckle to mean breaking or injury risk, but rather to imply a temporary loss to footing.

Michael Tzadok
8/27/2016 6:50pm,
From the outside I would agree, but to the inside you hit on a more fragile target.

I don't mean buckle to mean breaking or injury risk, but rather to imply a temporary loss to footing.

Only with a closed system. Meaning if the person is just standing there and you strike the inside of the knee, the most you are going to get is them briefly moving their leg.

If you are in a closed system, meaning holding onto the person to some degree, then you are full on into Sambo leg fencing. They use inside of the knee kicks to unbalance opponents on a fair regular basis. Though this doesn't have so much to do with the the knee as it does to the overall structure of the leg.

Bneterasedmynam
8/27/2016 7:13pm,
Only with a closed system. Meaning if the person is just standing there and you strike the inside of the knee, the most you are going to get is them briefly moving their leg.

If you are in a closed system, meaning holding onto the person to some degree, then you are full on into Sambo leg fencing. They use inside of the knee kicks to unbalance opponents on a fair regular basis. Though this doesn't have so much to do with the the knee as it does to the overall structure of the leg.

Does being in closed force more weight on their leg?? Also when farther away does the thigh stress better?? I could see the advantage of using it to unbalance, but personally I like Judo for in close. I'm wondering from a strong hit fully without a check if the thigh really has much over the knee for slowing and for giving a bit of a wobble for a follow up.

BackFistMonkey
8/27/2016 7:53pm,
The knee itself is pretty hard, we do use it to you know strike people in the head. The thigh on the other hand is a nice soft target (relativity speaking). It is also a much bigger target.

Catching the lower thigh can really swing the leg out of position, up and yonder or out and yonder, from my experiences. I know for a fact I do not kick hard targets as hard nor as with as much commitment as I do soft, so that may have something to do with the greater effect I have noted... at the same time my leg/foot always seems to catch the knee which causes more leg motion as the kick progresses and follows through.

I am pretty sure I haven't ever targeted the inside of the knee on purpose and when it happened I never got the reaction I wanted.

MrGalt
8/27/2016 8:34pm,

You're hitting a bone instead of soft tissue. It's pretty hard to really choke up on it and hit with your mid-shin as well. If your metatarsals are slammed into the side of someone's bony knee, it's not fun.

Mostly what other people are saying though: There's not much of a noticeable effect. Maybe you get lucky and his knee buckles. Probably you don't. If you don't, you don't get the cumulative damage effect you're going to get from popping him in the thigh.

goodlun
8/27/2016 8:41pm,

Think about how strong your knees are, Jump up and down, land with bent knees, also think about how dynamic kick boxing is, how you are moving around, how your not really planted, you are just as likely to move the leg kicking into the thigh as you are the knee, especially as people have said you can and will kick the thigh harder since its a softer target. You are not going to damage the knee but you are going to do some soft tissue damage to the leg.
Or I should say its a much higher chance of doing damage to the thigh than the knee, we all know silly **** can happen when you have two bodies colliding.

Bneterasedmynam
8/27/2016 8:42pm,
You're hitting a bone instead of soft tissue. It's pretty hard to really choke up on it and hit with your mid-shin as well. If your metatarsals are slammed into the side of someone's bony knee, it's not fun.

Mostly what other people are saying though: There's not much of a noticeable effect. Maybe you get lucky and his knee buckles. Probably you don't. If you don't, you don't get the cumulative damage effect you're going to get from popping him in the thigh.

I usually use my foot not my shin for inside kicks. On outside I use my shin. I like the extra distance I get for inside kicks. I personally haven't really ever had a problem kicking hard targets with my foot, but I do get your point about it. What part of the thigh would say has the best effect, low, mid, or high??

MrGalt
8/27/2016 8:44pm,
I don't know if anybody remembers my old thread, but I learned quickly not to hit people in the knee with low kicks when I was transitioning from krotty to karate:

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss165/MrGalt/DSC_0737.jpg

goodlun
8/27/2016 8:45pm,
Does being in closed force more weight on their leg?? Also when farther away does the thigh stress better?? I could see the advantage of using it to unbalance, but personally I like Judo for in close. I'm wondering from a strong hit fully without a check if the thigh really has much over the knee for slowing and for giving a bit of a wobble for a follow up.

The key word here is holding, so you are limited in the ways they can keep their base. One of the things you can do is take weight off or add weight to the leg you are hitting, both offer up different effects.

Bneterasedmynam
8/27/2016 8:55pm,
I don't know if anybody remembers my old thread, but I learned quickly not to hit people in the knee with low kicks when I was transitioning from krotty to karate:

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss165/MrGalt/DSC_0737.jpg

It's just a flesh wound lol. At least you didn't get the Silva effect.

MrGalt
8/27/2016 8:58pm,
The key word here is holding, so you are limited in the ways they can keep their base. One of the things you can do is take weight off or add weight to the leg you are hitting, both offer up different effects.

Seidokaikan has this as well. I'm betting Enshin does too. I've heard Kyokushin doesn't allow clinching (I may be wrong about that), but quite a few of the offshoots do. I learned quickly to close with people and pull them toward the leg I wanted to kick, because then they couldn't lift it to check. Never had much luck trying the other way around.