PDA

View Full Version : Erik Paulson shared this video, of Parrying and trapping.

goodlun
8/22/2016 9:47pm,
https://www.facebook.com/angel.lemus.1447/videos/533330066852710/

This to me is interesting because of how legit Erik Paulson is but in general how sketchy at best trapping tends to be.
Though as always the stuff looks cool as hell.

Cake of Doom
8/23/2016 7:17am,
Not a big fan of these trapping techniques. Same as I found in JJJ, the follow up moves depend on compliance and get too complicated to even attempt on a resisting opponent; lol or remember in a lot of cases. They were fun to do though.

Ming Loyalist
8/23/2016 8:27am,
paulson has also heavily gotten into jesus in the past few years. just sayin'.

BackFistMonkey
8/23/2016 8:34am,
paulson has also heavily gotten into jesus in the past few years. just sayin'.
There is a strong correlation between promoting faith and saying things which are factually untrue. A very strong correlation.

BackFistMonkey
8/23/2016 10:13am,
When I look at Silat I see so much Okinawan Karate for in the end it is all the same thing.

Wow.

You know that isn't really fair.

It needs context

Okinawan Karate was never designed to become the “hard stiff style” that we have seen over the years. In its true state- Karate should be smooth and flexible. Sure Okinawan Karate is known for it ultra powerful punching and strikes but that is hitting. Parrying and trapping has to be soft, circular and smooth. I have always been an admirer of Silat for it has always maintained its practical integrity and has not had the issues that have plagued Okinawan Karate. When I look at Silat I see so much Okinawan Karate for in the end it is all the same thing.

gregaquaman
8/24/2016 6:14am,
Beating on your demo guy makes them flinchy and collapsey. Gives you unrealistic feed back and makes the people you are training ****.

And it is not much fun.

Holy Moment
8/24/2016 7:22am,
Erik Paulson had a JKD background.

I guess, after all these years, the ***** in his system has finally eaten through his brain.

goodlun
8/24/2016 7:31am,
Erik Paulson had a JKD background.

I guess, after all these years, the ***** in his system has finally eaten through his brain.

I had a fairly good instructor that also has JKD in his background, and it always blew my mind that he could 'fall' for it if you will. Its not like the guy didn't understand aliveness, he won a large number of FMA events, reasonable BJJ record though not world class, participated and did very well in international Pankration. Was a decent enough boxer on top of that.
Yet was such a huge Bruce Lee nut hugger, it was weird, loved the trapping sort of stuff.
He taught, several forms of FMA, JDK, Pankration, and BJJ.

Kovacs
8/24/2016 8:13am,
Beating on your demo guy makes them flinchy and collapsey. Gives you unrealistic feed back and makes the people you are training ****.

And it is not much fun.

God I hated that from Wing Chun, it made the style even shitter.