PDA

View Full Version : More silly Black Belt Politics

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

goodlun
8/07/2016 5:16pm,
http://www.bjjee.com/videos/denny-prokopos-on-if-a-no-gi-black-belt-is-also-a-black-belt-with-the-gi/

So it seems that the community doesn't know how to react to a 10th planet black belt wearing a black belt with a GI.
I think its silly to even worry about, however I am of the mind whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
If you show up to train as a guest at a 10 planet, and you are a black belt I believe no one will get offended if you wear a black rash guard.
If you become a member there and are looking to get ranked they drop you down to a brown rash guard to learn the system.
Seems like the reverse would make sense, you are a 10p guy going to an open mat wear a black belt.
You go to train regularly wear what ever they rank you at.
In the end it doesn't matter to much.

It appears the BJJ community has no idea of how to deal with other grappling systems ranks

It is an interesting question at times I mean what should say a

ASA Sambo Black Belt wearing a Black Belt
A level 10 Hayastan
Judo Black Belt
Erik Paulsonís CSW Ranking Coach 5 and above
Luta Livre Black Belt
or other

Should wear while visiting a school, this is also a big distinction to make the whole while visiting vs training at as a member.

I know Omega went through some of this recently.
I am also kind of curious as to how Omega handles it in his own gym.
Getting people from other styles coming in and trying things out.

Of course are friend Bill will say something to the effect of **** BELTS.

NeilG
8/07/2016 6:07pm,
My personal opinion is if you don't hold rank in a system you wear no rank indication unless invited to do so. You also let them know you have prior training. Your real relative level will show up on the floor.

Michael Tzadok
8/07/2016 6:36pm,
SAMBO somewhere has belts? Last I heard for SAMBO the only ranking you had was how well or not you did in competition.

Bar Humbug
8/07/2016 6:40pm,
SAMBO somewhere has belts? Last I heard for SAMBO the only ranking you had was how well or not you did in competition.

A few places do, US used to (think Omega has one), and over in the UK they have inter-club belts and syllabuses, guess it helps to keep people motivated

Dr. Gonzo
8/07/2016 6:43pm,
Vlad Koulikov and I had a friendly match under Sambo rules.
He pinned me.
Then we rolled according to BJJ rules.
Ha Ha Ha!
He kneebarred me, a legal move under even IBJJF rules at my belt level.
Maybe I suck.
Or maybe Vlad's skills on the ground (and standing) are independent of whether or not the BJJ community says he is a black belt.
Or maybe both.
If someone has a good throwing technique, and a good submission technique, then who cares if their belt is zebra stripes with polka dots...

goodlun
8/07/2016 6:47pm,

I made a mistake it wasn't the ASA.
I can be mistaken but a large number of the SAMBO schools are also Judo schools in the USA. Which did have some influence on at least one organization to adapt them.
From what I do understand that even the biggest organization that adapted belts ended up more or less just using the Master of sport system.

goodlun
8/07/2016 6:51pm,
If someone has a good throwing technique, and a good submission technique, then who cares if their belt is zebra stripes with polka dots...

This is one of the issues that come up with cross style grappling competition, where to place who to have fair match ups.
Especially systems that lack a rankings system all tougher.

Dr. Gonzo
8/07/2016 7:02pm,
This is one of the issues that come up with cross style grappling competition, where to place who to have fair match ups.
Especially systems that lack a rankings system all tougher.

I tell you where I think the system really falls down...

When you get a high school wrestler,
or ex-high school wrestler that gets thrown into an intermediate or expert division even if they have less than a year of submission experience.

That is not only optimistic but dangerous as high school wrestlers will often let their limbs break in competition rather than tap when they are first starting out unless their coaches somehow manage this risk.

And when coaches and tournament directors have kids compete up weight classes, and or compete in adult divisions...

Omega Supreme
8/07/2016 7:35pm,
http://www.bjjee.com/videos/denny-prokopos-on-if-a-no-gi-black-belt-is-also-a-black-belt-with-the-gi/

So it seems that the community doesn't know how to react to a 10th planet black belt wearing a black belt with a GI.
I think its silly to even worry about, however I am of the mind whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
If you show up to train as a guest at a 10 planet, and you are a black belt I believe no one will get offended if you wear a black rash guard.
If you become a member there and are looking to get ranked they drop you down to a brown rash guard to learn the system.
Seems like the reverse would make sense, you are a 10p guy going to an open mat wear a black belt.
You go to train regularly wear what ever they rank you at.
In the end it doesn't matter to much.

It appears the BJJ community has no idea of how to deal with other grappling systems ranks

It is an interesting question at times I mean what should say a

ASA Sambo Black Belt wearing a Black Belt
A level 10 Hayastan
Judo Black Belt
Erik Paulson’s CSW Ranking Coach 5 and above
Luta Livre Black Belt
or other

Should wear while visiting a school, this is also a big distinction to make the whole while visiting vs training at as a member.

I know Omega went through some of this recently.
I am also kind of curious as to how Omega handles it in his own gym.
Getting people from other styles coming in and trying things out.

Of course are friend Bill will say something to the effect of **** BELTS.

At my gym/school I tell them wear whatever you want. In the end it'll be apparent if you know what you're doing.

goodlun
8/07/2016 7:43pm,
At my gym/school I tell them wear whatever you want. In the end it'll be apparent if you know what you're doing.

Did you make your way down to San Diego when you where just looking to train?

Omega Supreme
8/07/2016 7:47pm,
Did you make your way down to San Diego when you where just looking to train?

I made it down to visit Jeff Glover.

goodlun
8/07/2016 7:48pm,
I made it down to visit Jeff Glover.

At Victory or Studio 540?

Omega Supreme
8/07/2016 7:49pm,
Studio 540

Omega Supreme
8/07/2016 7:54pm,
Ooops, sorry misunderstood. I didn't make it to either. I went to his place which is what I thought was Studio 540.

goodlun
8/07/2016 8:01pm,
Ooops, sorry misunderstood. I didn't make it to either. I went to his place which is what I thought was Studio 540.

He is teaching out of Victory MMA and has been for a while, two story place, both the grappling mats are upstairs. The distinctive presence of Dean Lister....

Omega Supreme
8/07/2016 8:50pm,
He is teaching out of Victory MMA and has been for a while, two story place, both the grappling mats are upstairs. The distinctive presence of Dean Lister....

I love how you think you needed to explain that to me. What I'm trying to tell you without revealing where he lives is that it was more of a social visit not for training.