PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone did you know all Submission Grappling is just BJJ?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

goodlun
8/01/2016 10:48pm,
Just look at this silly article below talking about the Olympics will have BJJ but call it Olympic Grappling event at some point in some crazy future. Sucks to be a catch wrestler or a SAMBO guy cause what you guys do obviously isn't Olympic grappling, nope only BJJ!!

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/when-jiu-jitsu-becomes-and-olympic-sport-it-wont-be-called-jiu-jitsu/

goodlun
8/01/2016 10:59pm,
https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/media/document/grappling_rules_0.pdf

They are bullshit rules anyways
pg 16
Illegal actions include:
- Inside or outside heel hooks
- Neck cranks (crucifix, full-nelson, can opener, etc.)

Rand
8/02/2016 12:04am,
Reading through the rules they allow the wear of wrestling shoes, so I imagine that influenced their decision to not allow heel hooks. I like that they decided to award a take down if the opponent immediately pulls guard and you stay in a controlled position.

goodlun
8/02/2016 12:09am,
Reading through the rules they allow the wear of wrestling shoes, so I imagine that influenced their decision to not allow heel hooks. I like that they decided to award a take down if the opponent immediately pulls guard and you stay in a controlled position.

Both Catch and S.A.M.B.O are known for there leg locks and the good old wearing of wrestling shoes

Raycetpfl
8/02/2016 2:03am,
Both Catch and S.A.M.B.O are known for there leg locks and the good old wearing of wrestling shoes

International sambo only allows straight leg locks. So this falls right in line with the rest of the world.

The only grappling comps that come to mind that allow heelhooks are Vale Tudo/mma, American sambo(defunct), and sub grappling in the west.

Raycetpfl
8/02/2016 2:04am,
[Double post

Bar Humbug
8/02/2016 6:13am,
Slightly divergent, but what gives with the interwebs belief that BJJ will actually become (or should) an Olympic sport?

Moreover, what makes people think that the BJJ community would be in control of go/no-gi submission grappling in the Olympics rather than just giving it to the IJF or Olympic wrestling, instead of having to deal with a new federation?

Dr. Gonzo
8/02/2016 7:10am,
The Wrestling national bodies (non-profit governing agencies) and Wrestling Olympic bodies should oversee those comps and that process, if it ever comes to exist.
I would note that Sambo historically fell under the Wrestling governing bodies, so they have historically been able to handle rulesets with submissions.

Raycetpfl
8/02/2016 9:15am,
The us championship was in July in North Carolina. Josh Barnett went and fought there.he lost by a weird/ bad ref call according to him. I was gonna go but wrestling in PJ's is my favorite, so I went to a Gi event in Vegas.

Raycetpfl
8/02/2016 9:18am,
The Wrestling national bodies (non-profit governing agencies) and Wrestling Olympic bodies should oversee those comps and that process, if it ever comes to exist.
I would note that Sambo historically fell under the Wrestling governing bodies, so they have historically been able to handle rulesets with submissions.

This isnt in a Gi. It's not Bjj. It's under usa wrestling.

plasma
8/02/2016 9:25am,
ADCC is billed as Submission Grappling but has been dominated by BJJ players for so long people see it as a BJJ tournament.

Raycetpfl
8/02/2016 9:32am,
https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/media/document/grappling_rules_0.pdf

They are bullshit rules anyways
pg 16
Illegal actions include:
- Inside or outside heel hooks
- Neck cranks (crucifix, full-nelson, can opener, etc.)

They tried take out all the things that need surgery to fix.
Acl's don't grow back. When neck discs pop that's that generally.
If you're a well rounded player it's not a huge deal. Plus this could make it into public schools which would be awesome.

BKR
8/02/2016 11:17am,
They tried take out all the things that need surgery to fix.
Acl's don't grow back. When neck discs pop that's that generally.
If you're a well rounded player it's not a huge deal. Plus this could make it into public schools which would be awesome.

Hell, I'd love to see straight knee and ankle locks/bars put back into Judo. It would amp up the ground game a LOT.

No neck cranks though, that's a bit too much. Got enough problems with head landing from throws.

Raycetpfl
8/02/2016 11:22am,
Hell, I'd love to see straight knee and ankle locks/bars put back into Judo. It would amp up the ground game a LOT.

No neck cranks though, that's a bit too much. Got enough problems with head landing from throws.

Leg locks turn half guard from a defensive and sweeping position into a damn fine place for submission offense.

goodlun
8/02/2016 11:23am,

I could see freestyle adding those back in, but obviously never Olympic judo.
Do you know if any Kosen dojos have any sort of focus or allow Ashi garami in randori/shiai?
I think but am not 100% sure that shingitai jujitsu allows for straight leg attacks.

goodlun
8/02/2016 11:34am,
Slightly divergent, but what gives with the interwebs belief that BJJ will actually become (or should) an Olympic sport?

Moreover, what makes people think that the BJJ community would be in control of go/no-gi submission grappling in the Olympics rather than just giving it to the IJF or Olympic wrestling, instead of having to deal with a new federation?

Don't you understand all fighting on the ground that has submissions is BJJ!!!???
Seriously though I don't see the Olympics adding any other style of wrestling for some time, they where close enough to eliminating the wrestling they DO have.
I think we might even have a higher chance of seeing Pankration be included in the Olympics long before we see sub wrestling.
Though I am all in favor of Olympic Grappling becoming a thing.