PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Athletes told to cool it at the Olympics...



Pages : [1] 2

PHILBERT
5/17/2004 2:09am,
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040516-121028-9603r.htm


NEW YORK American athletes have been warned not to wave the U.S. flag during their medal celebrations at this summer's Olympic Games in Athens, for fear of provoking crowd hostility and harming the country's already-battered public image.

Hell, while we are at it, to help really repair our wounded reputation, the athletes, when accepting their gold medals, should also apologize for oppressing their fellow athletes from less-privileged countries by committing the transgression of beating them. :rolleyes:

Stick
5/17/2004 2:11am,
>_< total suckage.

CrimsonTiger
5/17/2004 5:36pm,
**** 'em.

Wave the flags. Sing loud.

Rigante
5/17/2004 5:45pm,
Does this political correctness ever end?

Dochter
5/17/2004 5:49pm,
This is bullshit and in no way related to the conservative bugaboo "political correctness".

Dochter
5/17/2004 5:50pm,
On the contrary side of this the way many athletes of our and other countries (a lot of ours it seems though) act is indeed pretty f-ed.

Te(V)plar
5/17/2004 7:14pm,
Wtf, tell the Kenyans not to do it either then.

CrimsonTiger
5/17/2004 10:18pm,
Celebrating victory is not a bad thing.

Taunting those defeated is. Unless they deserve it. Like France.

CanuckMA
5/17/2004 10:35pm,
So we can taunt the US because a country of 350,000,000 can't even field a decent national hockey team????

Sweet

Te(V)plar
5/17/2004 10:58pm,
Originally posted by CanuckMA
So we can taunt the US because a country of 350,000,000 can't even field a decent national hockey team????

Sweet What can we say? We put our resources into a viable military over a viable hockey team. I guess that's what gets our maple syrup to a simmer.

JohnnyBoy
5/17/2004 11:18pm,
US SUCKS CANADA RULES!! *canadian fanboy*

PHILBERT
5/17/2004 11:43pm,
Originally posted by CanuckMA
So we can taunt the US because a country of 350,000,000 can't even field a decent national hockey team????

Sweet

Holy ****! We got 65,000,000 more since I last read the census? When did this happen?

J-kid
5/18/2004 1:27am,
Originally posted by JohnnyBoy
US SUCKS CANADA RULES!! *canadian fanboy*

Your misinformed.

drunkenj
5/18/2004 4:06am,
Seriously ..... if i went to the olympics and won gold, i wouldn't want to be waving a union jack around, i would be waving a big huge flag that said "DRUNKEN J IS FUCKING AWSOME!!!!!" and i wouildnt want them to play 'god save the queen' (not least because i'm scottish) I would demand that they played 'renegades of funk'


seriously who gives a **** what country you're from, YOU won ----- all that flag waving is just nationalistic bullshit

CanuckMA
5/18/2004 7:59am,
Originally posted by Te(V)plar
What can we say? We put our resources into a viable military over a viable hockey team. I guess that's what gets our maple syrup to a simmer.

Never under estimate a viable hockey team. It's far easier to walk dn the dtreet with a hockey stick, ready to strike, than with a M-16.

kismasher
5/18/2004 8:54am,
Originally posted by drunkenj
Seriously ..... if i went to the olympics and won gold, i wouldn't want to be waving a union jack around, i would be waving a big huge flag that said "DRUNKEN J IS FUCKING AWSOME!!!!!" and i wouildnt want them to play 'god save the queen' (not least because i'm scottish) I would demand that they played 'renegades of funk'


seriously who gives a **** what country you're from, YOU won ----- all that flag waving is just nationalistic bullshit



well, i don't see this being a problem since it's a pretty rare occurence when England or Scotland actually wins a medal.