PDA

View Full Version : Range Day Ridiculousness

Pages : [1] 2 3

Cassius
7/20/2016 6:54am,
I'm taking a ridiculous range day to celebrate a big milestone at my new job. I am probably going to expend $200-$300 worth of ammunition, possibly more. Pictures to follow at some point.

BackFistMonkey
7/20/2016 7:06am,
Congrats on the milestone! Are you going to rent anything you haven't shot yet or are you just going to see how dirty you can get the guns you own?

ermghoti
7/20/2016 8:24am,
Beats blowing the same money at a bar.

Cassius
7/20/2016 1:29pm,
Congrats on the milestone! Are you going to rent anything you haven't shot yet or are you just going to see how dirty you can get the guns you own?Just seeing how dirty I can get my guns. I am testing out a new AR15 I recently finished putting together, as well as getting some time behind the Henry 45-70 I bought awhile back. I ended up having to send it back to the factory because of QC issues. Henry definitely took care of me, and got it back to me quickly.

Additionally putting rounds through my glock34, Rossi .357, and maybe my Ruger 22/45 but I'm running out of time.

BackFistMonkey
7/20/2016 1:44pm,
I hope your Temporary PTSD brought on by your hellish and nightmarish day at the range doesn't last too long. I read an article that said you should basically be curled up in a ball and screaming about wars you were never in by this point.

DarkPhoenix
7/21/2016 2:43pm,
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/DarkPhoenixTSi/Memes/stop_penis_erect_archer_zpsfji8ydng.gif (http://s109.photobucket.com/user/DarkPhoenixTSi/media/Memes/stop_penis_erect_archer_zpsfji8ydng.gif.html)

BackFistMonkey
7/21/2016 8:48pm,
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/DarkPhoenixTSi/Memes/stop_penis_erect_archer_zpsfji8ydng.gif (http://s109.photobucket.com/user/DarkPhoenixTSi/media/Memes/stop_penis_erect_archer_zpsfji8ydng.gif.html)

Don't stop damn it.

I was told there would be pictures.

Cassius
7/21/2016 9:06pm,
I also have a .308 bolt gun I've been testing factory ammo for. Unfortunately, it seems to consistently shoot best with 175 grain Federal Gold Medal Match, which is about a dollar a trigger squeeze, but consistently shoots .5-1 MOA and makes me look like I know what I'm doing (I don't). I've spent about a year testing other ammunition types to see if it would shoot as well with anything else (preferably cheaper), and the answer appears to be a resounding "no." I gave in and ordered a case of it from Palmetto State today, since they were having a sale. I've got the round count up high enough at this point that I need to clean the barrel anyway. Might as well only feed it one kind of food from now on.

Cassius
7/21/2016 9:08pm,
I am proud to say that I ran out of range hours before I ran out of ammo, though. God, what an expensive and fun day.

DarkPhoenix
7/22/2016 8:21am,
I'll be headed out for some group therapy after work today. Some Commie stuff, some 'Merican stuff, and some German hardware.

hungryjoe
7/22/2016 9:20am,
Just seeing how dirty I can get my guns. I am testing out a new AR15 I recently finished putting together, as well as getting some time behind the Henry 45-70 I bought awhile back. I ended up having to send it back to the factory because of QC issues. Henry definitely took care of me, and got it back to me quickly.

Additionally putting rounds through my glock34, Rossi .357, and maybe my Ruger 22/45 but I'm running out of time.

I owned a Mauser98 in 45-70. Kicked like a mule with the trajectory of a rainbow. Purchased at a pawn shop, the build was rough.

Was hoping you put a substantial amount of the above mentioned ammo through her. If so, would ask for promised photos to include one of your shoulder (:

Understandable if you didn't shoot that one a lot. Cost of ammo and all......

Cassius
7/22/2016 9:47am,
I owned a Mauser98 in 45-70. Kicked like a mule with the trajectory of a rainbow. Purchased at a pawn shop, the build was rough.

Was hoping you put a substantial amount of the above mentioned ammo through her. If so, would ask for promised photos to include one of your shoulder (:

Understandable if you didn't shoot that one a lot. Cost of ammo and all......I put about 40 rounds through it. I'll have to count my brass, but I think the round count at the end of the day was 42 or 43. I have a nice bruise, but it's not too bad. Really it's only from a few rounds where I didn't have the best shoulder weld. I bought a C2 rower in January and have been using it religiously, so I'm significantly better padded in my shoulder than I used to be.

It also helped that I mostly shot the lower power stuff. The Buffalo Bore ammo and other hotter stuff I have is physically painful to shoot, so the rounds I have left will last me a long time. At this point I'm pretty confident with the Henry out to 100 yards, but 200 is a stretch unless I'm shooting the "good" stuff. I know it can go out to 1000+, but I just don't have the eyes for it. I'll probably end up getting some Skinner peep sights on there eventually, and call it good.

BKR
7/22/2016 10:31am,
A couple of weeks ago, I had mentioned in the "what did you do today thread" I had loaded up a bunch of light loads for my boys' .308 bolt guns (their hunting rifles). I ended up with just over 100 rounds. We loaded up the truck and headed to a friend's house where we were told the Columbine Ground-squirrels were plentiful.

The loads consisted of about 12 grains of Trail Boss under a 100 grain Hornady "short jacket" bullet.
http://www.hornady.com/store/images/T/3005%2030%20Cal%20.308%20100gr%20Short%20Jacket.jp g

I had tested them out at the range the week before our outing. All shot essentially ragged 1 hole groups at 25 yards.

The rounds are a bit louder than a .22 rimfire, recoil is just a gentle push, and muzzle blast is pretty much non-existent.

Well, squirrels were plenty plentiful.

The terrain was mixed woods and pasture, and we did spot and stalk in both. I was carrying my and Rayce's favorite shotgun, a Mossberg 500 (my older boys youth model, but with an adult sized wood stock attached).

My older son got a shot almost as soon as we closed the gate to the first pasture. He shot at a big one like this, offhand at about 60 yards.
http://www.tomuphoto.com/albums/mammals/Columbian_ground_squirrel_1_001.sized.jpg

I was a bit skeptical he would hit it, however, at the crack, the squirrel was flattened. I was curious as to what sort of damage was done by the bullet.

I won't publish the photo. Suffice it to say, if you wanted to eat ground-squirrel, this one was already gutted.

The same thing happened over and over again as both boys proceeded to plaster multiple squirrels for about 2 hours, at ranges from 20 feet out to 75 yards, most of them offhand and a couple sitting.

I got a couple with the shotgun as well. We had to leave as the squirrels were really starting to come out, though.

A good time was had by all, to say the least !

DarkPhoenix
7/22/2016 9:28pm,
Before I hit the range, I hit the LGS to pick up some ammo. So I picked up some ammo, and something new to use it with. 15+1 of 45acp? Yes please.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160722/2f0fecb9d0a6bb1d8348b0b943030e97.jpg

ghost55
7/22/2016 10:13pm,

Understandable if you didn't shoot that one a lot. Cost of ammo and all......

Mauser K98. 45-70. I didn't know I wanted one before, but I do now!

ghost55
7/22/2016 10:14pm,
Before I hit the range, I hit the LGS to pick up some ammo. So I picked up some ammo, and something new to use it with. 15+1 of 45acp? Yes please.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160722/2f0fecb9d0a6bb1d8348b0b943030e97.jpg

For when you REALLY need to be sure that whatever you are shooting at will not survive.