PDA

View Full Version : Realistic self defence - what it would really be like and what it in practucally "is"

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sam Losco
6/29/2016 4:15pm,
Ok

Wanna train real teh deadly **** against in the street?

Well in this case;

1. You would get sucker punched. kicked in the nuts, slammed into concrete etc with 90% to 100% full power during training sessions
2. You would not get small bruises from training knife defence but instead of it you would get cuts
3. Instead of funny roleplay "you whats up man wanna get your ass kicked" you would get mentally and verbally abused during training
4. You would get spat upon, kicked in nuts, bitten and your face clawed (senshido anyone?)
5. One month ir training would get you moretime in hospital bed than 10 years of living in a violent, shitty and degenerate sub-urb shithole

Im not saying you cant train for self-defence, but I am saying that there probably are under 50 ppl in the whole planet who actually are doing it realistically

Filipmania
6/29/2016 11:59pm,
but those <50 ppl are now the toughest creatures on earth, might be worth it lol

BackFistMonkey
6/30/2016 12:07am,
Ok

Well in this case;

1. You would get sucker punched. kicked in the nuts, slammed into concrete etc with 90% to 100% full power during training sessions
2. You would not get small bruises from training knife defence but instead of it you would get cuts
3. Instead of funny roleplay "you whats up man wanna get your ass kicked" you would get mentally and verbally abused during training
4. You would get spat upon, kicked in nuts, bitten and your face clawed (senshido anyone?)
5. One month ir training would get you moretime in hospital bed than 10 years of living in a violent, shitty and degenerate sub-urb shithole

Im not saying you cant train for self-defence, but I am saying that there probably are under 50 ppl in the whole planet who actually are doing it realistically

Your premise is severely flawed.

You don't train by getting hit by sucker punches and nut shots.

Real self defense is about risk management, self control and of course: fighting, clubbing, cutting and shooting people. That's it, mainly the first two. How far you want to go on those others is up to you.

rnc357
6/30/2016 2:49am,
Ok

Well in this case;

Or you could get a job in security/bouncing. You would learn how to incorporate your sport based martial art into practical self defense. Plus you would make a little extra money instead of paying for classes.

BackFistMonkey
6/30/2016 8:33am,
Or you could get a job in security/bouncing. You would learn how to incorporate your sport based martial art into practical self defense. Plus you would make a little extra money instead of paying for classes.

You are not practicing self defense in your example. You are choosing to actively increase your risk, thus blatantly seeking something other than safety or defense. Learning how to be a "badass" (in your own mind what ever that means to you) is not self defense, it is the opposite.

You are an idiot if you think scrapping on the street or working security teaches you how to apply "sport techniques" on the "street".

slamdunc
6/30/2016 10:09am,
Your premise is severely flawed.Absolutely

You don't train by getting hit by sucker punches and nut shots.Not a good way to train. It is good, however, to know what it feels like to get smoked, in order to know how you will react.

Real self defense is about risk management, self control and of course: fighting, clubbing, cutting and shooting people. That's it, mainly the first two. How far you want to go on those others is up to you.This is probably the best perspective I have ever viewed on this topic. Risk management being situational awareness, scanning for threats, then being able to prepare some sort of defense strategy even if it turns into seeking a getaway route.

Or you could get a job in security/bouncing. You would learn how to incorporate your sport based martial art into practical self defense. Plus you would make a little extra money instead of paying for classes.With the presented circumstances, you would pay a lot more money for medical bills than you would ever make bouncing.

rnc357
6/30/2016 9:04pm,
You are not practicing self defense in your example. You are choosing to actively increase your risk, thus blatantly seeking something other than safety or defense. Learning how to be a "badass" (in your own mind what ever that means to you) is not self defense, it is the opposite.

You are an idiot if you think scrapping on the street or working security teaches you how to apply "sport techniques" on the "street".
Oh I don't know, I've learned a lot about self defense and how to apply sport based techniques in certain circumstanstes. YMMV. You done a lot of security work have you?

rnc357
6/30/2016 9:09pm,
With the presented circumstances, you would pay a lot more money for medical bills than you would ever make bouncing.

I have paid a lot in medical bills. Have injuries that will last a lifetime. Going in for surgery on my arm tommarow. But I figure I'm still ahead financially. I have also had my share of injuries Powerlifting and training in the martial arts and that hasn't made me any money. I'm pretty sure if I would have stuck to swimming and not worked bouncing jobs, practiced martial arts or competed in powerlifting I would be in a lot better shape today, but what fun would that be.LOL.

BackFistMonkey
6/30/2016 10:23pm,
Oh I don't know, I've learned a lot about self defense and how to apply sport based techniques in certain circumstanstes. YMMV. You done a lot of security work have you?

You have learned a lot about security. Not self defense. I am sure some of that translates to the mean streets of reality and self defense but let's not get things twisted, purposely putting yourself in any sort of danger for a paycheck is not self defense. Especially most "security" jobs, but you're different and actually do "r34l" security, right? Nonstop action with shootouts and knife fights and fast cars and drunk guys not on the list trying to get an autograph?

rnc357
6/30/2016 10:46pm,
You have learned a lot about security. Not self defense. actually I've learned a lot about both. But yeah, more about security than defense. Also I understand the OP is a joke, but actually working in the industry teaches you a lot more about self defense than any so called self defense class ever could.

BackFistMonkey
7/01/2016 6:59am,
actually I've learned a lot about both. But yeah, more about security than defense. Also I understand the OP is a joke, but actually working in the industry teaches you a lot more about self defense than any so called self defense class ever could.

Using common sense and avoiding: conflict, danger and risk will keep you safer than any amount of: security work, self defense classes, combat sport, knife/blade based MA, or taticool shooting or CCW will.

Self Defense is again, all about Risk Management and Self Control. You can attempt to spin it anyway you want but that's the main component. All the physical stuff is secondary... way secondary ... and basically useless if you are actually worried and concerned about "self defense".

No one likes to be fooled especially when they have so much time and money invested in something. Sunk Cost fallacy is a killer when it comes to rational thought.

BKR
7/01/2016 10:49am,
Some Real Self Defense(tm)

http://www.krem.com/news/local/portland-woman-shoots-and-kills-home-intruder/257211049

BackFistMonkey
7/01/2016 11:02am,
Some Real Self Defense(tm)

http://www.krem.com/news/local/portland-woman-shoots-and-kills-home-intruder/257211049

No, that is actively engaging in high risk behavior. When you come home to an intruder you do not re-enter or seek to confront the perpetrator in the home.
... plus ...

The investigation, which is ongoing, will determine whether she acted in self defense and if she'll face charges.
Now she maybe responsible for his death and the situation is COMPLETELY out of her hand unless she has a good legal team.

Very bad risk management and terrible long and short term planning.

Raycetpfl
7/01/2016 11:03am,
My new policy is just shoot everyone that creeps me out. I carry a bunch or Qurans and skate boards with me to leave on the "attacker's" body. I figure those two things together will ensure the investigation leads them to believe the "attacker" was into radical Islam.

BackFistMonkey
7/01/2016 11:06am,
My new policy is just shoot everyone that creeps me out. I carry a bunch or Qurans and skate boards with me to leave on the "attacker's" body. I figure those two things together will ensure the investigation leads them to believe the "attacker" was into radical Islam.

My new policy is to stop sending Rayce suggestive emails and photos.

BKR
7/01/2016 11:12am,
No, that is actively engaging in high risk behavior. When you come home to an intruder you do not re-enter or seek to confront the perpetrator in the home.
... plus ...

Now she maybe responsible for his death and the situation is COMPLETELY out of her hand unless she has a good legal team.

Very bad risk management and terrible long and short term planning.

LOL! Maybe so, however, I'd like to see the jury that would convict her...