PDA

View Full Version : Noobie looking for school

Pages : [1] 2 3

Martialartist41
6/09/2016 4:06am,
Hello I'm brand new to the site and new to martial arts recently I have come into some money and I have always loved martial arts but honestly can't decide which school to start. I'm looking for a good place to do some serious training and it has legit teachers. Now out of what I kind find in Houston tx these schools had the best rating and reviews. If anyone knows or has heard or has trained at the schools let me know any advice would help.

My main question what would be your best recommendation from these schools since they are nearby in the area.

Moy Tung Ving Tsun Kung Fu and Martial Arts Center Kung Fu School

International shaiolin wushu center

American shaiolin Kung fu

Houston Wing Tsun Central - Martial Arts, Self Defense

Chu's Kung Fu

Houston Songshan Shaolin Temple

Any advice or help is appreciated thank you and God bless

Martialartist41
6/09/2016 4:47am,
Hello I'm brand new to the site and new to martial arts recently I have and have always loved wanting to do martial arts but honestly can't decide which school to start with.

My main question what would be your best recommendation from these schools since they are nearby in the area. What is the best school out of those 6 in the Houston area im looking for a legit school and one that offers some serious good training. These were the best ones after looking through many since the reviews and ratings on these places were decent.

Chu's Kung Fu

money
6/09/2016 8:48am,
What side of town are you on. Are you specifically looking for Kung Fu or are you open to other styles?

Martialartist41
6/09/2016 2:31pm,
What side of town are you on. Are you specifically looking for Kung Fu or are you open to other styles?

I'm not close by I say 30-1hr to these places i am open to other styles.

Martialartist41
6/09/2016 5:39pm,
So yeah I'm about 30-1hr away from all these schools and I wouldn't mind considering other styles but I want to do some serious training at good schools with legit teachers.

Guird
6/10/2016 5:08am,
Hello!

It depends on what, specifically, you're looking to get out of martial arts. Are you hoping to learn to fight? or are you just looking to become more athletic and maybe put on a show? something else?

Also depends on your answer to money's question, there is a vast world of martial arts outside of chinese ones.

For the record, yelp reviews mean very little when it comes to martial arts schools.

Welcome to Bullshido.

BigJim520
6/10/2016 7:19am,
Almost all those schools are on the SW side of town. I don't know anything about any of them, and you're not likely to find a lot of fans of Kung Fu or Wing Tsun on this site.

I'm in Houston, and I could point you to a few MMA, BJJ or a Muay Thai place if you're interested. There's also a Krav Maga school that I'm aware of in your area if that interests you (near 59 and Buffalo Speedway).

If you're only interested in the schools you listed, then contact them, find out costs, contracts, class schedules, and see what works best for you.

Raycetpfl
6/10/2016 8:41am,
Almost all those schools are on the SW side of town. I don't know anything about any of them, and you're not likely to find a lot of fans of Kung Fu or Wing Tsun on this site.

I'm in Houston, and I could point you to a few MMA, BJJ or a Muay Thai place if you're interested. There's also a Krav Maga school that I'm aware of in your area if that interests you (near 59 and Buffalo Speedway).

If you're only interested in the schools you listed, then contact them, find out costs, contracts, class schedules, and see what works best for you.

If you live in Houston and don't train with Draculino I don't really think it makes much sense. Dudes a grappling encyclopedia.

Raycetpfl
6/10/2016 8:43am,
Hello I'm brand new to the site and new to martial arts recently I have and have always loved wanting to do martial arts but honestly can't decide which school to start with.

My main question what would be your best recommendation from these schools since they are nearby in the area. What is the best school out of those 6 in the Houston area im looking for a legit school and one that offers some serious good training. These were the best ones after looking through many since the reviews and ratings on these places were decent.

Chu's Kung Fu

Heres my advice.... watch the Gracie in action tapes.

jwinch2
6/10/2016 9:35am,
There is a Ribeiro Jiu-Jitsu affiliate in Houston as well that may be worth your time, though the place the Rayce suggested looks awesome.

http://www.ribeirojiujitsu.com/academies/ribeiro-jiu-jitsu-houston

If you are into weapons work, there is an affiliate of the Pekiti Tirsia Kali Global Organization that you can look at: http://www.ptk-smf.com/ptk-smf-instructors.html

Or, you can do what I am doing, and train both! LOL

Hope you find someplace good! Houston is a tough place as traffic is ridiculous, as I am sure you know. That might dictate where you can realistically train as well, unfortunately.

BigJim520
6/10/2016 10:22am,
There is a Ribeiro Jiu-Jitsu affiliate in Houston as well that may be worth your time, though the place the Rayce suggested looks awesome.

http://www.ribeirojiujitsu.com/academies/ribeiro-jiu-jitsu-houston
That's who I train under (1 step removed). Also Andrew Craig (former UFC fighter) trains there.

Honest question. As a white belt, does it make a huge amount off difference who my actual coach is? As a middle aged guy with a full time job who has no expectations of competing at a high level, does it really matter if I'm training under a 4th degree black belt, rather than one of his students? I'm far more concerned with keeping the weight off than being the best grappler in the world.

If you are into weapons work, there is an affiliate of the Pekiti Tirsia Kali Global Organization that you can look at: http://www.ptk-smf.com/ptk-smf-instructors.html

Ugh, wrong part of town for me. Can you recommend anything central or SW?

Martialartist41
6/10/2016 4:19pm,
Thank you guys for the advice I have decided I will stick with mma for now. The only problem which gym revolution or elite mma.

Martialartist41
6/10/2016 5:14pm,
Hello dear fellow fighters and martial arts lovers I have decided to turn down doing kung fu and just concentrate on doing mma.

So I have decided between Elite MMA which is 45 minutes away and revolution dojo which is 30min away.

Now I live 30-45 away from good Houston dojos and have been trying to find a good place to begin my mma training wether its a start in bjj or working on my standing game I have never been in a fight and don't know how to fight properly and have slow reflexes.

I wish to learn good self defense and to also enjoy competitions and earn belts with hard work and perseverance.

Does anyone know the costs of these top gyms and does anyone have any good type of fighting mma schools around the area that's not as far and for a reasonable price they can recommend if not which two out of these can you recommend since there is so many types of different schools. Thank you for the advice and god bless. If you guys do know of any good gyms I live around Pasadena tx.

Wish to hear lots of good advice thank you and god bless.

Now bigjim you said you could point me in the direction of a gym or too what do you think is your best advice when it comes to starting with an area.

Martialartist41
6/10/2016 6:22pm,
Hello dear fellow fighters and martial arts lovers I have decided to turn down doing kung Fu and just concentrate on doing mma.

So I decided also to start somewhere and try bjj first as my beginner martial arts training.

My only question is for a decent price and location I live in Houston and there is plenty of places to start BJJ training. But I just don't know where to start in terms of bjj.

I have looked and went to Elite MMA and Revolution dojo both about 30-45minutes away. They both seem Good but recently in another post of mine some people suggested a Gracie Barra school and Ribeiro Jiu-Jitsu school.

Honestly out of these 4 schools what would be the best option in terms of starting bjj.

Elite MMA, Revolution Dojo, Gracie Barra School I know theres a lot of these types of schools because I have seen plenty of them while driving but I don't know which one is good at what location, or one of the two ribeiro Jiu Jitsu school.

Now I know many people might have a different opionins and many people go to different types of schools, but the best advice would be appreciated since from whatever information I get from my post will help me determine which place will be my bjj training.

Thank you and God Bless

Martialartist41
6/11/2016 4:17pm,
Hello dear fighters sorry again if I'm bothering you but I did a couple posts about what type of mma and started and as I said I think I'm gonna start with bjj it interests me I'm not only looking for self defense, but to do competitions and to acquire belts along the path of becoming a martial artist so I can feel like I achieved something great through hard work and perseverance. And honestly I wouldn't care how long it takes I have it set in my mind when I finally pick one of the schools to train at I won't give it up.

So my only question regardless of location whether its 30-45 minutes away I don't mind the drive I live around Houston and I looked at 4 schools ,but I'm wondering what do you guys think out these 4 would you recommend?

They're is Elite mma, Revolution Dojo, Gracie Barra Gyms there are a lot of these so I don't know which location is the best or a good one, and Ribeiro Jiu jitsu.

I heard all these places are good, but seeing as how I can only afford to do one style for now I'm sticking with bjj it always has interested me and I like the art and the sport of it.

Any advice on which place would be suited best would be very helpful thank you and god bless guys.

Martialartist41
6/11/2016 4:25pm,
Hello dear fighters recently every time I want to send new messages or use any of the message buttons it says I'm not allowed and that I don't have permission to do any of that even though I have already activated my account.

Also I have tried to submit more than one thread recently and I understand they have to be moderated and looked at first, but they have not been showing up only one made it through and I accidently posted twice the same thread because I made a mistake of thinking that it didn't go through but surprisingly the first one went through.

Any help or advice would be appreciated thank you and god bless.