PDA

View Full Version : Entering tournament last minute, 3 weeks to prepair any tip?

Pages : [1] 2

Jim Giant
6/02/2016 8:19pm,
I'm entering a country backswording competition in 3 weeks, only found out about it a couple of days ago so wondering if anyone has any advice to help prepare.

For those of you who don't know country backswording is a combat sport where you win by hitting your opponent in the head with a thick hazel stick. Traditionally you won by drawing an inch of blood from your opponent's forehead but in the modern sport you wear a fencing mask and it's generally first to land 3 solid hits.

One of the common strategies is to strike your opponent's arm until they drop their guard before landing a strike to the head. Last time I competed it was a tiny tournament with 4 competitors so I only had to fight twice. I won both fights but ended up with some nasty bruising. This time it'll be considerably larger and I may have to fight 10 times against tougher opponents which is likely to be a lot worse.

Is there any limb conditioning worth doing in this last 3 weeks fully recover in time for the tournament?

gregaquaman
6/03/2016 5:06am,
Yeah. You can bust yourself up to about ten days before.

And probably cardio is always good.

plasma
6/03/2016 5:33am,
Hold your arm up for the next 3 weeks, don't put it down till after the tournament.

Mandem
6/03/2016 6:45am,
**** do they still do that?

Raycetpfl
6/03/2016 7:04am,
Is there any limb conditioning worth doing in this last 3 weeks fully recover in time for the tournament?

I would just spar and try not to get hurt. Going into a fight healthy is huge. If you can be healthy and sharp that's about the best any fighter could wish for.

Dr. Gonzo
6/03/2016 7:56am,
I'm not fighting Jim Giant.

Jim Giant
6/03/2016 8:13am,
Yeah. You can bust yourself up to about ten days before.

And probably cardio is always good.

Normally I'm spar with minimum protective gear. Helmet and glove if I'm not using a basket hilt. So should I keep sparring, add in extra conditioning and from 10 days before the tournament only spar with protection?

Cardio I'm pretty lazy with these days. I justify it to myself because my cardio is good enough that I'm still at full steam by the end of my training sessions. This is different though, the tournament could go on for hours! Better up my game.

I would just spar and try not to get hurt. Going into a fight healthy is huge. If you can be healthy and sharp that's about the best any fighter could wish for.

I intent to spar as often as I can leading up to the event.

BackFistMonkey
6/03/2016 8:26am,

Considering the heavy contact and nature of the event, I am 100% behind this. You are going to need your arms fresh and free from knots and bruises. Focus on finesse and technique the week leading up. Every bit of grip and arm strength will be needed.

I can't think of anything short term except dips and pushups and tons of practice. Some people who do FMA really like kettle bells but I wouldn't attempt to pick up anything new this close to a comp.

Streetcat
6/03/2016 10:53am,
I'm entering a country backswording competition in 3 weeks, only found out about it a couple of days ago so wondering if anyone has any advice to help prepare.

For those of you who don't know country backswording is a combat sport where you win by hitting your opponent in the head with a thick hazel stick. Traditionally you won by drawing an inch of blood from your opponent's forehead but in the modern sport you wear a fencing mask and it's generally first to land 3 solid hits.

One of the common strategies is to strike your opponent's arm until they drop their guard before landing a strike to the head. Last time I competed it was a tiny tournament with 4 competitors so I only had to fight twice. I won both fights but ended up with some nasty bruising. This time it'll be considerably larger and I may have to fight 10 times against tougher opponents which is likely to be a lot worse.

Is there any limb conditioning worth doing in this last 3 weeks fully recover in time for the tournament?.

I'm new here... So just a thought...

When I was studying Kung Fu we used to do some arm conditioning by hiting a heavy bag with our arms ...alternate forearms and outer arm left and right. Not too hard and it will increase circulation.

Also, arm rolling we had special metal roller bars in different weights that you would roll from upper arm to wrist turn and roll back up.
I think you might wrap a standard barbell and use light weight to approximate the experience.

Also learn sanchin kata. It is my favorite kata and good for getting the blood energized for that kind of combat.

Hey be careful !

I'm undoubtedly older than you and I worry about blood clots and stuff. My idea of a good time is not to get hit in the head. Lol.
Standing in front of the bag

Jim Giant
6/10/2016 10:04pm,
Update:

I've read through all the official rules, 30 or so pages. It's a lot more strict and gentlemanly than the last competition I entered. Certain strategies I was planning on using are against the rules. I haven't done anywhere near enough sparring with ECB ruleset because I've been needed to help beginners in the class so the next few weeks I'll be doing as much as possible.

I know who a few of the other competitors are and they are going to be tough competition. I'm not expecting to win but I think I have a good chance of making it in the to 4 which will secure me a place in the nationals.

I'll upload a video after the tournament and maybe some training footage before hand.

Jim Giant
6/16/2016 9:40pm,
Some training footage from yesterday. Got 9 days left till the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0SYe_XlNNE

BKR
6/17/2016 12:15pm,
Some training footage from yesterday. Got 9 days left till the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0SYe_XlNNE

Is lower body legal target?

Jim Giant
6/17/2016 12:27pm,
Is lower body legal target?

You can hit pretty much anywhere but only hits above the eyeline score and your off hand has to stay on your hip or behind your back.

It's quite different to what I normally do where the whole body is a target and you're allowed to grapple.

http://backswording.webplus.net/page13.html

BKR
6/17/2016 1:09pm,
You can hit pretty much anywhere but only hits above the eyeline score and your off hand has to stay on your hip or behind your back.

It's quite different to what I normally do where the whole body is a target and you're allowed to grapple.

Interesting...those swords look pretty heavy, are they steel ? One arming one seems like would tire you out pretty quickly.

More importantly, how can you game the rules, right ?

Jim Giant
6/17/2016 3:36pm,
Interesting...those swords look pretty heavy, are they steel ? One arming one seems like would tire you out pretty quickly.

More importantly, how can you game the rules, right ?

The swords I'm using here are nylon and weight about 2lbs. Normally I spar with steel but the nylons are closer to the weight and feel of the swords being used on the day. The swords used in the competition are 40 inches in total and made of hazel.

The rules are more complicated than the last tournament I entered, gaming will be difficult but not impossible.

Bneterasedmynam
6/17/2016 4:07pm,

No sword trapping = bogus.