PDA

View Full Version : Best self defence for disabled people?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jim Giant
5/18/2016 6:59pm,
As some of you know my girlfriend is disabled and so can't run from a fight. I'm not around her 24/7 so I'd like her to learn some self defence.

She has a freakishly strong upper body for a woman her size. She can bench 75kg and rows 50kg for 10 reps. She was also a blue belt in judo as a kid. She's fairly good at groundwork but I think her club was extremely generous to allow her a blue belt.

Anyone had any experience training disabled people? What would you recommend?

Also I live in England, we're not allowed to carry knives let alone guns before someone suggest it.

Raycetpfl
5/18/2016 7:03pm,
As some of you know my girlfriend is disabled and so can't run from a fight. I'm not around her 24/7 so I'd like her to learn some self defence.

She has a freakishly strong upper body for a woman her size. She can bench 75kg and rows 50kg for 10 reps. She was also a blue belt in judo as a kid. She's fairly good at groundwork but I think her club was extremely generous to allow her a blue belt.

Also I live in England, we're not allowed to carry knives let alone guns before someone suggest it.

A whistle and mace? Or a "cane" for walking with a weight handle.

Permalost
5/18/2016 7:14pm,
Disabled in what way? Could she carry a cane?

Jim Giant
5/18/2016 7:30pm,
Disabled in what way? Could she carry a cane?

Sometimes she uses a wheelchair, sometimes she walks unaided and the rest of the time she uses one of these:

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mQtZk71o--SJs8XOHwnWDTw.jpg

It's a little too heavy to use as a weapon though and she doesn't get on with canes.

A whistle and mace? Or a "cane" for walking with a weight handle.

I was thinking whistle or mace too, don't know the best set up for easy access at the moment yet.

rnc357
5/18/2016 8:45pm,

What weapons can you use/carry in England?

Jim Giant
5/18/2016 10:42pm,
What weapons can you use/carry in England?

Just looked up the law and apparently we can't even use pepper spray. No knives, no guns and impractical for her to carry anything large enough to be used as a bludgeoning weapon.

Hoe defence is taken care of however.

Kravbizarre
5/18/2016 10:59pm,
Get her one of those wallet chains. Always on ya, swing fast and can cause lacerations and some blunt trauma.

DdlR
5/18/2016 11:18pm,
I've taught visually impaired people and one paraplegic guy. So much depends on the exact nature of the individual's disability (range of motion, ability to bear own weight on one/both legs, etc.) that its really hard to generalize about styles or techniques.

The paraplegic guy's lifestyle, regardless of his disability, was such that he really needed to learn how to fight and his tactic up until then had been "sucker them in close, grab them and go to the ground", relying on his huge upper body and grip strength from wheeling himself around all the time. We figured out his advantages - really low center of gravity because of the chair, which gave him an edge in leverage and meant that anyone swinging on him or grabbing him had to reach down, etc. - and then working from a kind of Crazy Monkey universal defense, learned how to use the chair itself as a weapon, mostly by controlling the other guy's head and smacking him into the arm-rests, etc. He also got really good at takedowns from the same head-control start, swinging the chair and yanking the other guy down to the floor.

Like I said, though, a lot depends on what your girlfriend is physically capable of, especially in that UK law is so weapon-restrictive. My best advice re. weapons would be for her to carry a cane or just velcro it unobtrusively to her chair/walker and train in realistic stick fighting to back up her ground work. There's no way anyone is going to question a legitimately disabled woman carrying a cane as "mobility backup", and a cane can be a great defensive weapon.

EDITED TO ADD: "screamer" alarms can also be easily worn or attached to chairs and walkers, and attracting attention can also be a fantastic defensive strategy.

rnc357
5/18/2016 11:30pm,
Just looked up the law and apparently we can't even use pepper spray. No knives, no guns and impractical for her to carry anything large enough to be used as a bludgeoning weapon.

Hoe defence is taken care of however.
That really sucks. At least when a guy is disabled he can compensate physically in different ways. When my kid was wrestling there was a kid without legs that did quite well, but he had a lot of upper body strength. Maybe an aerosol can of something like hair spray or some other legal sharp implement. Sucks either way. Here you could get her firearms training and a CCW in most states and not have to mess around with BS improvised weapons.

Kovacs
5/19/2016 2:42am,
I'd vote for BJJ. If she needs a walker she won't be trying to strike and it's unlikely that she'll be on her feet for long.

DCS
5/19/2016 6:34am,
Regarding UK law about knives.

Basic laws on knives

It is illegal to:

sell a knife to anyone under 18 (16 to 18 year olds in Scotland can buy cutlery and kitchen knives) unless itís a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife
carry a knife in public without good reason - unless itís a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less
carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)

Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public without good reason.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

There are still some options available for her to carry.

And jits too.

rnc357
5/19/2016 7:15am,
http://www.ukpreppersguide.co.uk/legal-pepper-spray-for-self-defence/

This might be an option.

BackFistMonkey
5/19/2016 8:12am,
Friends. Lots of good friends who have sense and will help make sure any avoidable situations are avoided. Simply put, people with physical disabilities need to be extra careful and situationally aware in order to not put themselves in compromising situations because once in those situations, they are at a disadvantage, by default... a handicap if you would... ( sorry ).

For those horrible moments when the disabled are actually attacked. I say a nice weighted cane ( she uses it to reach, prod, poke, and move things your honor ) on the back of her chair and a proper nasty attitude and a willingness to hurt someone. From there you can go in a number of training methods. I know there are wheelchair fencing groups and I am 100% sure some FMA group would love to have her as a student... if she was actually there to learn to fight with sticks and knives and not just take up space and ***** foot around.

Barehanded you are going to have to play to her strengths and just grapple. You can't really fight from a chair... no matter what bullshit people say... when **** gets weird that butt flat in the chair is going to have to go.

Bneterasedmynam
5/19/2016 8:23am,
Have none of you seen kingsmen come on the answer is simple combat umbrella.

In all seriousness though she really isn't going to have any real options for self defense in the UK.

Raycetpfl
5/19/2016 8:57am,
Hoe defence is taken care of however. I thought that's what this thread was about?

goodlun
5/19/2016 10:25am,
You live in the UK how much violence is there for you to really worry about?
I would say she should do BJJ as it would be good for her health.
However for your own mental health well go take a statistics course at what ever you have for a JC.
Then look at the crime stats.
This will make you feel much better.