PDA

View Full Version : Koral MKM gi size question (bordering two sizes)

gzk
4/30/2016 11:18pm,
Hi Bullies,

I've had a long time away from BJJ, and in the process of rehabbing an injury, I lost a significant amount of weight. The only one of my three gis that somewhat fits is an A2 size, 2009 vintage Koral Classic, that was a just-legal fit at 173cm (5'8") and about 92kg (203lbs). Now, at 74kg (163lbs), it is a little baggy around the armpits, the skirt goes down to mid-thigh as it should at the front and around the bottom of my butt at the back, and with arms parallel to the ground, the sleeves end right where my wrist meets the bottom of my hand, though I have to pull the sleeves taut as they bag and bunch up a little.

I am now considering buying a Koral MKM (new style), and I am right on the border of A1 and A2. The local Koral rep. recommended trying an A1 and returning it for an A2 if it doesn't fit, but I am curious to know if any of you have any other experiences/ideas. Is there any difference in the sizing of the older Classic gis vs the new MKMs? If an older Classic A2 is a touch baggy as described, will a new MKM A1 be too small?

WFMurphyPhD
5/01/2016 8:03am,
I can't help with your question.
I always look on Amazon for what all white, all cotton Judo (or BJJ) gi's I can get delivered to my door on Amazon Prime for the lowest price.
I generally average $40 a Gi, including delivery charges.
There are some outlets where if you go in person, you can get all white, all cotton Judo Gi's for less than $30 for adult Gi's.
I cycle through periods where I only train a couple times a week for a few months,
and other periods where I am on the mats three times a day, 5-6 days week for a few months.
So, for the periods when I am on, I keep a dozen or so inexpensive Gi's at the ready.

ermghoti
5/01/2016 8:20am,
I'd either do what WFMPHD said, or follow the rep's advice. I bought a cheap Amazon gi for my first purchase, the only quibble was the pants were ridiculously big at the waist, while also being short. Last time I bought gis, I got an extra pair of pants.

Raycetpfl
5/01/2016 9:00am,
I would just talk to the reps and see what they say.

In the future. .....
I am told combat corner is made in the same factory as Koral. I have 5 or 6 of those. They are nice and about 1/2 the price.

If you are going for a premium Gi I highly recommend Origin and Warrior. They are are both 100% made in the USA from cotton all the way to gi. Warrior is their cheaper brand but it's still fabulous.

gzk
5/01/2016 7:14pm,
I would just talk to the reps and see what they say.

In the future. .....
I am told combat corner is made in the same factory as Koral. I have 5 or 6 of those. They are nice and about 1/2 the price.

If you are going for a premium Gi I highly recommend Origin and Warrior. They are are both 100% made in the USA from cotton all the way to gi. Warrior is their cheaper brand but it's still fabulous.

The Combat Corner gis look nice, but with the currency exchange and shipping to Australia, I'd barely save any money compared to buying a Koral locally.

Raycetpfl
5/01/2016 10:19pm,
The Combat Corner gis look nice, but with the currency exchange and shipping to Australia, I'd barely save any money compared to buying a Koral locally.

Oh we're foreigners...well then American made doesn't really mean much to you.

I would maybe consider some other brands if they are available to you in Australia.

Here's a few of my favorites in order.
1.Origin <-- these are probably way out of a reasonable price range with shipping and what not.

2.Storm- The T2 it's very tight fitting and hard to grab and the storm supreme gi are my favorites. Great gis , light,strong ,great collars , rip stop pants. I have about 6 of these. I also have a nice travel gi that came with a rip stop jacket for travel that doesn't weight much. Huge fan.

3.Atama- Mudial Gi: great gi, great rip stop pants . Comfy and bullet proof. Honestly this was what the storm ultimate gi copied almost perfectly. Great gi.

4. Venum- nice gis. I like their higher end versions with rip stop pants. I have several and like them.

ermghoti
5/02/2016 7:25am,
Padilla are consistently mentioned in bang-for-buck discussions.

plasma
5/09/2016 9:49am,
Sounds like you need a A1L instead of A2 now.

I am 176 cm and when I cut muscle mass I can get down to 74kg. When I was at 74kg I use the A1L from Shoyoroll, Xguard, 93 brand or Inverted Gear. When I put on muscle mass I get up to 80kg and I prefer the A2 from the same companies as A1L will be a bit snug.