PDA

View Full Version : Looking into martial arts training for my nephews Las Vegas, NV

Pages : [1] 2 3

PittsKuntaoer
4/24/2016 6:59pm,
Hello all

My sister contacted me a few weeks ago regarding martial arts training for her kid. She lives in Las Vegas, NV, in the Henderson area. I have one nephew who is over 4 years old. The others are a bit way too young to start, but wants them to follow in her father's footsteps as he was TKD. She wants to get him involved into karate or TKD. She also doesn't want her kids developing cauliflower ears. Her husband(my brother in law) really wants him to get involved in BJJ, and says that ground/grappling is the most important. They were conflicting each other, so she called me up.

I was in Judo for a class, and we had Dustin Denes(who was amazing) as a guest instructor one evening. After rolling, I asked what art should my nephews get involved in. He was adamant that they start in a Judo club and scholastic wrestling. He said that the BJJ will come later after a person knows how to clinch, throw, and takedown. My judo instructor also agreed.

Since striking is my primary background, I believe that Western Boxing should be the first art that a young kid should learn. I feel that after one has a very good grasp on boxing, then good Okinawan Karate or Muay Thai could be added later at about 10-13yrs of age. Of course when a young person starts karate or muay thai, they should never give up boxing. I told my sister that TKD isn't as good as it was in the 1970's when our father was a black belt because of what occurred during the mid/late 1980's with it becoming a family hobby.

So the consensus is that my nephews should start training in Judo and Boxing. If there is a scholastic wrestling team, I told her to let the kids try it out as well. She mentioned a school that is a few blocks away from her house. The school is a kung fu school that also teaches kid's judo, boxing/kickboxing, escrima, and kung fu. I told her to enroll them into judo and boxing. She doesn't want them messing around with sticks, so escrima is out. I told her not to waste their time in the kid's kung fu even though it is a kung fu school. Some of CMA is valuable, but a base of boxing/judo should be a priority.

After awhile when they get older, if they are super serious about fighting, I told her that Phil Dunalp's school would be the best choice. Phil also recommended UNLV's Judo club as well. I also see that their is a Kyokushin Karate school called Shinkyokushinkai. I also found a Uechi Karate school as well nearby.

First things first. The school is called Kung Fu Academy Las Vegas, and the website is called http://www.lvshaolin.com/

Here is a video of what I would think an all around skilled kid would look like:

http://www.lvshaolin.com/what-does-a-purple-belt-in-kung-fu-look-like

Here is their judo and boxing programs:

http://www.lvshaolin.com/kids_judo.php

http://www.lvshaolin.com/kids_boxing.php

Tell me what you guys think about this school? What do you think of it and their programs? What do you think of their other programs? If you live or know about Las Vegas, are their other schools out there that are better for kids?

PittKuntaoer

ChenPengFi
4/24/2016 7:14pm,
It was mentioned in another thread, and it's what I always suggest.
Gymnastics then Judo and Wrestling would be the first.
You'll want some team sports in there too.
If they want to do boxing etc I'd have them wait til quite a bit later.

NeilG
4/24/2016 7:24pm,
The kids are all too young for martial arts in my opinion. Put them into fun gymnastics or swimming or soccer or something. Wait a few years, then judo.

PittsKuntaoer
4/24/2016 7:28pm,

I thought that too. Gymnastics is something I sometimes forget, and all those who do it are excellent athletes at other sporting activities. Baseball is one sport that has been played my family since the late 19th century. My sister plans on getting them involved in baseball, soccer, and basketball. Maybe tennis? Football is out because of too many head injuries that often occur, even though my brother in law is a die hard football guy. Boxing has its head injuries as well, but if you start boxing at a young age without the sparring, I feel it might be ok.

PittsKuntaoer
4/24/2016 7:29pm,
The kids are all too young for martial arts in my opinion. Put them into fun gymnastics or swimming or soccer or something. Wait a few years, then judo.

All of them already are into swimming right now.

WFMurphyPhD
4/24/2016 7:43pm,
Hello all

My sister contacted me a few weeks ago regarding martial arts training for her kid. She lives in Las Vegas, NV, in the Henderson area. I have one nephew who is over 4 years old. The others are a bit way too young to start, but wants them to follow in her father's footsteps as he was TKD. She wants to get him involved into karate or TKD. She also doesn't want her kids developing cauliflower ears. Her husband(my brother in law) really wants him to get involved in BJJ, and says that ground/grappling is the most important. They were conflicting each other, so she called me up.

I was in Judo for a class, and we had Dustin Denes(who was amazing) as a guest instructor one evening. After rolling, I asked what art should my nephews get involved in. He was adamant that they start in a Judo club and scholastic wrestling. He said that the BJJ will come later after a person knows how to clinch, throw, and takedown. My judo instructor also agreed.

Since striking is my primary background, I believe that Western Boxing should be the first art that a young kid should learn. I feel that after one has a very good grasp on boxing, then good Okinawan Karate or Muay Thai could be added later at about 10-13yrs of age. Of course when a young person starts karate or muay thai, they should never give up boxing. I told my sister that TKD isn't as good as it was in the 1970's when our father was a black belt because of what occurred during the mid/late 1980's with it becoming a family hobby.

So the consensus is that my nephews should start training in Judo and Boxing. If there is a scholastic wrestling team, I told her to let the kids try it out as well. She mentioned a school that is a few blocks away from her house. The school is a kung fu school that also teaches kid's judo, boxing/kickboxing, escrima, and kung fu. I told her to enroll them into judo and boxing. She doesn't want them messing around with sticks, so escrima is out. I told her not to waste their time in the kid's kung fu even though it is a kung fu school. Some of CMA is valuable, but a base of boxing/judo should be a priority.

After awhile when they get older, if they are super serious about fighting, I told her that Phil Dunalp's school would be the best choice. Phil also recommended UNLV's Judo club as well. I also see that their is a Kyokushin Karate school called Shinkyokushinkai. I also found a Uechi Karate school as well nearby.

First things first. The school is called Kung Fu Academy Las Vegas, and the website is called http://www.lvshaolin.com/

Here is a video of what I would think an all around skilled kid would look like:

http://www.lvshaolin.com/what-does-a-purple-belt-in-kung-fu-look-like

Here is their judo and boxing programs:

http://www.lvshaolin.com/kids_judo.php

http://www.lvshaolin.com/kids_boxing.php

Tell me what you guys think about this school? What do you think of it and their programs? What do you think of their other programs? If you live or know about Las Vegas, are their other schools out there that are better for kids?

PittKuntaoer

My teacher, Sergio Penha, has his academy in Las Vegas, where he personally teaches.
He is a 7th degree Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and a black belt in Judo.
He was a very famous competitor in his day, and he trained some very famous MMA and BJJ competitors.
I highly recommend him, and his academy.

NeilG
4/24/2016 8:19pm,
All of them already are into swimming right now.

Great! They are still too young for martial arts.

PittsKuntaoer
4/24/2016 8:29pm,
I told my sister to wait another two or three years to get him involved? About 6-7 years old is ok? The kung fu school's program for 4 year olds is just doing regular coordination and conditioning stuff. She is looking for some discipline because both of us grew up with a Korean grandmother who was strict as all hell. She wants discipline for him! The little guy was Colicky and had some GERD when he was 1-2yrs old, so she babied him too much. He then became too attached to her, and is a bit of a sissy. I thought that judo, boxing, and martial arts would toughen him up a little.
Now the youngest boy at 2 yrs is the tough one. That little guy is the bruiser already bossing his older bro around.

PittsKuntaoer
4/24/2016 8:31pm,
My teacher, Sergio Penha, has his academy in Las Vegas, where he personally teaches.
He was a very famous competitor in his day, and he trained some very famous MMA and BJJ competitors.

I will def consider this guy when they get old enough. Thanks

NeilG
4/24/2016 8:31pm,
None of those qualifications mean **** when it comes to teaching 4 year olds.

PittsKuntaoer
4/24/2016 8:33pm,
Great! They are still too young for martial arts.

They are swimming. I am not out there in Las Vegas. My sister and brother in law know little about martial arts schools and martial arts in general. My bro in law has some friends that are into MMA and BJJ. I just want to do the research for them when those little kids reach the age when they are ready to start. I want my nephews/niece to start off well and not end up brainwashed or in a bad school.

WFMurphyPhD
4/24/2016 8:55pm,
None of those qualifications mean **** when it comes to teaching 4 year olds.

4 year olds become 5 year olds,
5 year olds become 6 year olds,
If they're fed.
And they often have parents, and uncles, and aunts, and cousins.
And, Sergio can speak for himself regarding what age he starts training children without my input or yours.
But I get your point.
And I am in no rush when it comes to rushing very young children into combat sports, or any over-training sports situation myself.

NeilG
4/24/2016 9:24pm,
H
4 year olds become 5 year olds,
5 year olds become 6 year olds,
6 is about the minimum age I recommend and even then, kids' instruction is a different skillset from adult instruction and frankly not very related to high accomplishment in whatever art you are talking about. It requires patience, enthusiasm, high energy and a level of diplomacy in dealing with parents.

I like judo for young kids because they are already rassling around, may as well structure it a bit. Lots of ways to devise fun practice games, lots of stuff to learn so it doesn't get too repetitive. Less chance of little Johnny deciding to kick or punch another kid on the playground, too.

ChenPengFi
4/24/2016 9:28pm,
H
6 is about the minimum age I recommend and even then, kids' instruction is a different skillset from adult instruction and frankly not very related to high accomplishment in whatever art you are talking about. It requires patience, enthusiasm, high energy and a level of diplomacy in dealing with parents.

I like judo for young kids because they are already rassling around, may as well structure it a bit. Lots of ways to devise fun practice games, lots of stuff to learn so it doesn't get too repetitive. Less chance of little Johnny deciding to kick or punch another kid on the playground, too.

Agreed on all counts.

Raycetpfl
4/24/2016 10:14pm,

I agree almost completely.From age 1 Gymnastics and anything else THEY are interested in at around 5. The knowledge they acquire from age 4-10 in bjj or Judo can be made up for in about 6 months with an athletic 11 year old that really wants to learn (prodigies excluded).

Motor skills,how to run,jump,balance,body awareness, strength and flexibility would be better have than armbars at age 5.

The part I disagree on is judo and wrestling being first pick. I would say bjj,judo,sambo or wrestling are all about equally awesome. Pick one and let the coach do his thing. You don't want too many chefs in the kitchen in the early years.

ChenPengFi
4/24/2016 11:07pm,
I agree almost completely.From age 1 Gymnastics and anything else THEY are interested in at around 5. The knowledge they acquire from age 4-10 in bjj or Judo can be made up for in about 6 months with an athletic 11 year old that really wants to learn (prodigies excluded).

Motor skills,how to run,jump,balance,body awareness, strength and flexibility would be better have than armbars at age 5.

The part I disagree on is judo and wrestling being first pick. I would say bjj,judo,sambo or wrestling are all about equally awesome. Pick one and let the coach do his thing. You don't want too many chefs in the kitchen in the early years.

I agree but Judo and Wrestling are generally cheaper and more widely available in the US so they get that nod.
They also have a much more organized infrastructure here, as a whole.
We have scholastic Judo and Wrestling after all.
Don't get me wrong I think BJJ is great for kids, as would be Sambo I'm sure.