PDA

View Full Version : I got in a fight, didn't do anything.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Bruiserbrandon
4/23/2016 7:09pm,
With my violent herion addict brother yesterday. So I train in the martial arts(muay thai), and something happened the other day and I couldn't throw a punch.I was getting punched and kicked and did nothing about it but ball up and block..There was no retaliation from me, everything I learned I had forgot. It's weird..what happened? Is it just because I'm a passive person and just don't have it in me? The fear of getting hurt (which is stupid because I have eaten some pretty hard hits before)?.I always thought if I was in a situation like that, I'd fight back..But I didn't..Maybe I should be asking one of my instructors?

Evergrey
4/24/2016 12:38am,
Shock. It's shocking. It isn't anything like when you are in the ring and you know it's coming. Your mind is in this state of "is this real? Is this really happening?"
It's so different. It's sudden and ugly and scary and when you encounter something sudden and traumatic that you haven't really experienced before, sometimes you shut down.
Are you ok?

Raycetpfl
4/24/2016 1:05am,
With my violent herion addict brother yesterday. So I train in the martial arts(muay thai), and something happened the other day and I couldn't throw a punch.I was getting punched and kicked and did nothing about it but ball up and block..There was no retaliation from me, everything I learned I had forgot. It's weird..what happened? Is it just because I'm a passive person and just don't have it in me? The fear of getting hurt (which is stupid because I have eaten some pretty hard hits before)?.I always thought if I was in a situation like that, I'd fight back..But I didn't..Maybe I should be asking one of my instructors?

Everyone likes to wax philosophical about "street fights" and how grappling isnt what you want be doing yada yada yada. Their stupid and wrong and here is why.

A common problem with using force is there isn't a way to "kinda" hit someone effectively that is being violent towards you. You either cause blunt force trauma or you have no effect.
It's likely on some level you didn't want to hurt your dumb junkie bro. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact it's probably a good idea you don't break your knuckles open on a known IV drug user.
The majority of situations most people will encounter that need physical force probably don't need blunt force trauma inflicted on the person.
If you had grappling training you could have restrained him and not injured him. Grappling works on dumb-ass family members and terrorists on Paris trains. It can kill or restrain at your discretion.
Muay Thai is awesome but it's only good for bashing people's heads and bodies.
Again there's nothing wrong with what you did. You didn't get hurt: mission accomplished. It's called self defense for a reason.

Permalost
4/24/2016 4:36am,
Rayce's and Ev's answers are very different yet valid. Real fighting is like the blind men feeling the elephant's features.

A junkie who assaults family members probably starts their assault psychologically before physically, possibly very far in advance, and almost certainly incorporates deception in multiple ways. Martial arts don't really prepare you for that opponent.

I think one of the most understudied parts of fighting is the Art of Giving Yourself Permission. Closely related to the Art of Priming Witnesses. It makes all the difference, as much as technique. To conduct yourself in a conflict in a way that leads to you giving yourself permission to resist this person you've given every opportunity to yield is a complex thing to improvise quickly. Have you ever trained where you started conflicts verbally before escalating to fighting? Its way different than normal martial arts.

Bruiserbrandon
4/24/2016 6:07am,
If you had grappling training you could have restrained him and not injured him.
I've done some grappling, but the thing is I couldn't act. I was getting hit in the head, face, and jaw before I stepped back and got a kick to the chest which sent me to the ground. Then I got some stomps and kicks. I though about this one kick I learned in silat but there was no way I could execute it at the time. The only thing I got in was a kick to his chest when he was trying to get on me.

Kovacs
4/24/2016 6:30am,
You probably need to harden up a bit if you're training such a violent striking art. I can understand not hitting him through choice but not hitting him from freezing isn't much use.

Saying that Ray is right, grappling is ideal for stuff like this. You can restrain people you don't want to really hurt and smash people that you do. As much as I like striking it generally has one gear and that's 'smash'.

Kravbizarre
4/24/2016 6:33am,
Sorry to hear about the fight with your bro. There have been many times ive wanted to destroy my brother but have bottled the anger at the time. Brothers fight its normal. If you get along with your bro then you'll know its the drugs thats screwed him. If your relationship with your bro is anything like mine you'll get over it and you'll be friends again.

As for freezing during when **** gets real think thats also a normal reaction. . Next time **** gets real your brain will be better prepared due to the experience. Your brain will essentially say "hey ive been in this situation before", you'll be able to think an act better.

Hey look on the bright side, at least this didnt happen on the street where some dude really wanting to cave your head in was.

Bruiserbrandon
4/24/2016 6:36am,
If you had grappling training you could have restrained him and not injured him.

I've done some grappling, but everything I learned went right out the window when I got the first punch to the temple.

gregaquaman
4/24/2016 8:28am,
It happens. Sometimes you have **** why did I do that fights.

Next time punch him back. Simple.

Dr. Gonzo
4/24/2016 8:34am,
I've done some grappling, but everything I learned went right out the window when I got the first punch to the temple.

Domestic violence victims often freeze, because there are more issues here than how to launch or defend physical martial arts techniques.

Over half of domestic violence situations are actually a female spouse beating up the male spouse according to the CDC.

It is VERY common for trained martial artists, even MMA fighters, or professional soldiers, including marines, to take a beating in a domestic violence situation and not use their training nor their superior physical conditioning to respond.

A brother may not be a spouse, but it is an entangled relationship that is not too far off.

I recommend you see a licensed and professional domestic abuse counselor.

Martial arts teachers, even good ones, who are not professional domestic abuse counselor are frankly beyond their depth when it comes to these issues.

Given the history of heroin addiction, and the fact you were not able to respond, this probably calls for professional domestic abuse input, and is beyond our pay grade as martial arts instructors.

Good Luck, and try not to expose yourself to harm from your brother until you speak with a trained domestic abuse counselor.

Raycetpfl
4/24/2016 8:38am,
. Have you ever trained where you started conflicts verbally before escalating to fighting? Its way different than normal martial arts.

I believe it's called "yo-momma-fu". It's not a normal martial art ..... but one of my favorites. It's where you ask the person you are in conflict with to ask their wife/girl to quit switching lipstick colors due to it causing your penis to look like a rainbow.
Or ..
Inform them that's their girl(or they are) is such a dumb junkie whore that she would s**k D**k for diet coke.

Raycetpfl
4/24/2016 10:11am,

Yea.... don't do that again.
You're still breathing, so you still have the ability to change your future.

Freezing is a mental response that can be trained out and overcome through self realization. Go over the scenes in your head and decide what your "unfreeze move" is. Mine is an overhand/hook to clinch with if they are still standing. Train it and think about it. Have someone pummel you a bit while cover up and say to yourself "you're freezing, do your move." Remembering a thousand techniques when **** is hitting the fan and you are stuck in a mental loop is next to impossible.....BUT remembering your "freeze move" is much easier.

The Villain
4/24/2016 10:26am,
Muay Thai has excellent grappling. Not sure what Ray is talking about. Use it to throw people against walls and ****. What happened though is unrelated. That was psychological. The street is different from the ring. It's the human element that makes it so. You need to study more.

Raycetpfl
4/24/2016 10:47am,
Muay Thai has excellent grappling. Not sure what Ray is talking about. Use it to throw people against walls and ****. What happened though is unrelated. That was psychological. The street is different from the ring. It's the human element that makes it so. You need to study more.

Is that where you wanna be when Jesus comes back? Claiming a "throw/push against a wall" is going to stop a fight with an angry violent drug addict who is pretty sure you won't press charges?

C'mon son!
The correct answer is a mount with the option to KO by trauma or choke in my opinion.

BackFistMonkey
4/24/2016 10:50am,

Amen. Excellent clinch and general body awareness and throws and more clinch work .... I don't know of any "subs" but there is plenty to use in muay thai that lends to nonface smashing control compliance.

This was one hundred percent user error. Not a style failure.

**** happens, violence is scary and emotional. It takes practice to keep your **** together in any high stress situation and not all high stress situations lend competence to others.

You maybe cool and collected in a board room or deep woods first aid/survival situation and go completely limp kneed and empty headed the first time someone pimps slaps you and takes your wallet.

The correct answer is a mount with the option to KO by trauma ...

How Christian of you. You muscle bound thug.

Raycetpfl
4/24/2016 11:00am,
How Christian of you. You muscle bound thug.
Hey.....I represent that remark...... :-p

I mean or you could just go the nuclear options: Thai clinch knees..... but heroin addict blood is icky. Hardest strike a human can throw generally speaking. It would sure do the trick.