PDA

View Full Version : Neck strength for Grappling

Pages : [1] 2 3

Broomie
4/19/2016 9:42pm,
Beyond front bridge, wrestlers bridge, and front plank, are there any neck strengthening exercises you like?
Thanks.

WFMurphyPhD
4/19/2016 9:58pm,
Beyond front bridge, wrestlers bridge, and front plank, are there any neck strengthening exercises you like?
Thanks.

You have to start them with care, caution, and supervision depending on the status of your neck,
but prison workouts using towels or even your hands as the counter-pressure to your neck/head resistance are something that you can do anywhere.

submessenger
4/20/2016 7:04am,
This could turn into a really good thread.

I have a training partner who's also a physical therapist; he's going to hook me up with a bunch of exercises that he uses personally and professionally, I'll drop them here ASAP, probably Saturday.

Raycetpfl
4/20/2016 9:02am,
1.Take a clear polypropylene fish tank type hose
2. tie some weight to it.
3. Bite it and do neck curls .
4. Laugh when people punch your head :-p.

Broomie
4/20/2016 9:52am,

Ok, do you know if this will aggravate, TMJ?

Broomie
4/20/2016 9:58am,

A deep derisive laugh or a 'that tickles' laugh?

Raycetpfl
4/20/2016 10:25am,
A deep derisive laugh or a 'that tickles' laugh?

More of a " I didn't take my medication today laugh".

Raycetpfl
4/20/2016 10:26am,
Ok, do you know if this will aggravate, TMJ?

No I dont?

Devil
4/20/2016 10:54am,

I mean, yeah. I guess you can use a fish tank hose if you're a girl trying to get ready for a cheerleading competition or something. I always use an old chainsaw blade.

Raycetpfl
4/20/2016 11:11am,
I mean, yeah. I guess you can use a fish tank hose if you're a girl trying to get ready for a cheerleading competition or something. I always use an old chainsaw blade.

I learned the technique from a Muay Thai fighter. Devils method is standard USMC Devil Dog Method.

Devil
4/20/2016 11:14am,
In all seriousness, though. Do you really do that? It sounds fucking horrible for your teeth.

Raycetpfl
4/20/2016 11:26am,
In all seriousness, though. Do you really do that? It sounds fucking horrible for your teeth.

I haven't in a while, but yes I have. I haven't really done anything but body weight exercise,running and bjj for a while.
Obviously it's to be done with light weight and keep it off the front teeth. If you have dental problems that's so thing to consider.

They also make those head harnesses with a chain to put weight on. All those types if exercise are supposed to be done with very light weight. 2.5- 5lbs is just fine. Do reps until your tired and don't over stress it. The neck is so delicate.

Devil
4/20/2016 11:32am,
I haven't in a while, but yes I have. I haven't really done anything but body weight exercise,running and bjj for a while.
Obviously it's to be done with light weight and keep it off the front teeth. If you have dental problems that's so thing to consider.

They also make those head harnesses with a chain to put weight on. All those types if exercise are supposed to be done with very light weight. 2.5- 5lbs is just fine. Do reps until your tired and don't over stress it. The neck is so delicate.

I've seen the "Bring out the gimp" style head harnesses. That seems like the way to go. Although now that I think of it, the teeth thing may also strengthen your jaw. Hmm..

Raycetpfl
4/20/2016 11:44am,
Although now that I think of it, the teeth thing may also strengthen your jaw. Hmm..

That's the premise. Jack Dempsey use to chew pine twigs to strengthen his Jaw and neck.
it really is a good exercise in my non-certified trainer opinion.

Raycetpfl
4/20/2016 11:51am,
Also to let you get an idea of how to tie the weight.

Lace a long-ish length of tube through the weight and then tie the two ends super securely. Now you have a circle with a weight on it. Now this should be your favorite part Devil! Its time to put tube in your mouth! Bite down and do reps.

goodlun
4/20/2016 12:06pm,
One of my favorite sites for exercise information
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/NeckWt.html