PDA

View Full Version : Pramek's Shashka (Russian Sabre) Video Pwned

Jim Giant
4/18/2016 6:51pm,
Video response to one of the most ridiculous martial arts videos I've ever seen.

The original video was over 40 minutes but somehow I condensed my response to a little over 20. If I was to respond to everything stupid he said/did my video probably would have been about 6 hours!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gjn05EN7g0

cereus
4/18/2016 8:18pm,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozfGeGYe-lY

Finally got to use that.

(him not you btw)

Jim Giant
4/18/2016 8:32pm,
[url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozfGeGYe-lY

Finally got to use that.

(him not you btw)

use {video}video URL{/video} to post YT videos (replace squigglies with square brackets).

Lol very fitting!

I sometimes worry that we're going to see elements of bullshido springing up in HEMA but luckily this guy seems to just be a self defence instructor who decided he wanted to use swords.

cereus
4/18/2016 8:42pm,
Cheers, haven't used the forums for a while.

As for bullshido cropping up in HEMA I am hopeful that the access to good information being so much easier will prevent that. I mean would you come across any of this BS in a google search for western/european/medieval martial arts?

Its still worth replying to it of course, just in case.

Jim Giant
4/18/2016 9:19pm,
I mean would you come across any of this BS in a google search for western/european/medieval martial arts?

Its still worth replying to it of course, just in case.

I agree, the HEMA community is great at the moment but that doesn't make us immune. Hell some mcdojos thrive BECAUSE of the internet.

I see a few potential issues which could prop up in the future:

New laws could make the weapons we use illegal or force us to wear extra protective equipment and restrict techniques.

Over the top health and safety could be an issue in the future. Many systems are designed for armoured combat yet tournaments require too much protective gear IMO.
Not only does this potentially change the way you fight for the worse it could make the sport prohibitably expensive (possiblly with shady sponsorship deals like Rebok with MMA), when I started we had sticks and mask, that's it.

In country backswording (with hazel sticks) originally the rules were to draw an inch of blood from your opponent's forehead, now we wear fencing masks. This seems sensible but it's still a step away from the original art.

Tournament rules are another potential issue, I can see grappling getting banned from competition to make it "fairer" for smaller competitors. Most schools seem to neglect grappling as it is.

Finally SJW infiltration could become an issue, they've already caused serious damage to LARP (from what I hear) and there is a sizable crossover between the two communities.

halfcut
4/18/2016 10:00pm,
Lol very fitting!

I sometimes worry that we're going to see elements of bullshido springing up in HEMA but luckily this guy seems to just be a self defence instructor who decided he wanted to use swords.

This would be my guess as he doeant have anything else lIke it. Full disclosure here, I'm a PRAMEK instructor under Matt and he's a personal friend of mine. That being said I've literally never seen the guy pick up a sword, and I personally know jack and **** about sword work so I can't comment on the material. This video also looks to be a few years old too.

cereus
4/18/2016 10:11pm,
What HEMA do you practice and what SJW issues could affect HEMA? I'm not a HEMA practitioner myself so I'm curious.

Jim Giant
4/18/2016 11:09pm,
What HEMA do you practice and what SJW issues could affect HEMA? I'm not a HEMA practitioner myself so I'm curious.

I primarily practice George Silver's system so backsword and quaterstaff. I've also got some experience with other systems and classical pugilism(Daniel Mendoza).

As for SJW's, they ruin everything they get their hands on, scepticism, gaming, comics etc. Below is a video (part of a series) talking about what they've done to LARP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcAXRoP_NY8

HEMA is probably >75% white men, this alone is reason for SJWs to demand we change things to suit their needs.

Jim Giant
4/18/2016 11:24pm,
He may well have had some training with the shashka, just not (effective) combat training. Everything other than cut testing I've found is just dancing with swords.

I probably shouldn't have been so harsh doubting his abilities with other forms of combat though.

cereus
4/18/2016 11:43pm,
I can't see what HEMA can change t bring in a more diverse audience. It's open to everyone and frankly no one gives a **** who you are as long as you train properly. Or at least that's how Jiu Jitsu was for me. I'm not saying they won't find stuff to bitch about Im just saying it will probably be so dumb that it'll come as a surprise lol.

Jim Giant
4/19/2016 12:05am,
I can't see what HEMA can change t bring in a more diverse audience. It's open to everyone and frankly no one gives a **** who you are as long as you train properly. Or at least that's how Jiu Jitsu was for me. I'm not saying they won't find stuff to bitch about Im just saying it will probably be so dumb that it'll come as a surprise lol.

Yeah it's absolutely open to anyone and if anything we're nicer to women and minorities.

I found out the words "dumb" and "stupid" are becoming politically incorrect today too!

cereus
4/19/2016 12:14am,
I found out the words "dumb" and "stupid" are becoming politically incorrect today too!

That's just silly.

Bneterasedmynam
4/19/2016 11:36am,
Yeah it's absolutely open to anyone and if anything we're nicer to women and minorities.

That why I use the word "retarded" to describe anything I disagree with. It really pisses off the PC crowd, and that for some reason fuels my soul.