PDA

View Full Version : Muay Thai: How to not suck as a partner

Broomie
4/13/2016 6:15pm,
I started Muay Thai, during the drills it was quickly obvious I have a lot to learn about working with the pads. My partner was was patient and coach helped of course, but the pace of the class was quick so I was learning as I went along.

Anything I should keep in mind beyond pay attention and do what you're told?
Thanks

Magpie McGee
4/15/2016 12:21pm,
On pads, hitting clean is way more important than hitting hard. When it's your turn to hold, this is not your break. You need to meet the incoming strikes with force. If you're getting the pad knocked back, you're not meeting it hard enough. The person striking should be able bounce their hands and legs off the pads. It's critical for developing rhythm. If you're not given a specific combination to work on, don't freeze up while you think of what lethal 20-piece combo you're going to have your partner do, but rather build it over time. Start with whatever opener you want (strike, block, slip, whatever), then add the next strike that makes sense for every rep you do. So the combination counts up.

Those are the biggest things that it's hard to make newbies do, and you still won't be able to think your way to it. You just have to take the time and get used to the timing and rhythm of it.

Broomie
4/15/2016 1:06pm,
On pads, hitting clean is way more important than hitting hard. When it's your turn to hold, this is not your break. You need to meet the incoming strikes with force. If you're getting the pad knocked back, you're not meeting it hard enough. The person striking should be able bounce their hands and legs off the pads. It's critical for developing rhythm. If you're not given a specific combination to work on, don't freeze up while you think of what lethal 20-piece combo you're going to have your partner do, but rather build it over time. Start with whatever opener you want (strike, block, slip, whatever), then add the next strike that makes sense for every rep you do. So the combination counts up.

Those are the biggest things that it's hard to make newbies do, and you still won't be able to think your way to it. You just have to take the time and get used to the timing and rhythm of it.

Thanks for the feedback. The rhythm was definitely an issue.

I found striking much easier than holding the pads.
fortunately the combos were given by the coach so everyone was on the same page. I was slow getting the pads into position. We were working on clinching and I was slow getting the pads down for the knees and in position for a kick after the break. I know it was my first day and I'll pick it up, but I hate slowing up someone else's workout. On the other hand I guess they need to learn to work with me, too, eh?

BigJim520
4/15/2016 1:52pm,
First day, don't worry. For my first month or so, my arms were so weak I couldn't hold pads for 3 minutes. My triceps were killing me.

Permalost
4/15/2016 1:58pm,
There's been good advice given and your coach should be able to provide most of the help you'll need. I'd just like to say focus on hitting (and holding) the pads in a technically correct way- a lot of people lose all form when you give them a target to hit, and focus entirely on hitting hard. Work on striking from a protected position that incorporates hip rotation and good kinetic linking.

BackFistMonkey
4/15/2016 2:02pm,
There's been good advice given and your coach should be able to provide most of the help you'll need. I'd just like to say focus on hitting (and holding) the pads in a technically correct way- a lot of people lose all form when you give them a target to hit, and focus entirely on hitting hard. Work on striking from a protected position that incorporates hip rotation and good kinetic linking.
You make it sound easy.

Work on striking from a protected position that incorporates hip rotation and good kinetic linking.
I mean that's like what ... three or four weeks of training?

Broomie
4/15/2016 2:03pm,

Focus on technical skill and slow it down if need be until it's ingrained, correct?

submessenger
4/15/2016 2:10pm,
This reminds me of an old thread, which luckily is stickied in Advanced Striking, making it a lot easier to find:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99399

Broomie
4/15/2016 5:04pm,
This reminds me of an old thread, which luckily is stickied in Advanced Striking, making it a lot easier to find:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99399

Thanks bro! I already read it! But I'll read it again. :)