PDA

View Full Version : Just got caught in a shoot out.

The Villain
4/01/2016 2:54am,
Bullies that have not been killed in a shootout, how do you deal with stuff like that? By the time you detect the first fucking bullet, there's another god damn bullet. Even a gun wouldn't have made me less vulnerable. I just kinda took cover til the shooting stopped. I just felt like a bullet might find me, watched for the source, and hid. How the hell do you even SEE it? I saw black shadows and orange dots and lines. Nothing else registered at all.

Kravbizarre
4/01/2016 6:03am,
Where were you? How far away do you think the shooters were? Were they gunning for you? You survived so you did something right.

When you ask 'how do you see it?' What do you mean cos if you see it usually means youve been shot. Not seeing it was a blessing in disguise.

Ming Loyalist
4/01/2016 7:06am,
but wait, MA has "tough, common sense" gun laws so there's no way that you could have been shot at there! that **** only happens in "gun nut" states!

/s

as said above, you lived so you did something right. how did it all go down?

submessenger
4/01/2016 7:12am,
The only guns you need are right between your shoulders and elbows.

WFMurphyPhD
4/01/2016 7:18am,
When guns are involved, hand to hand combat skills are often made irrelevant.
Cover, Concealment, exit paths, and the ability to see the danger source without the danger source being able to see (or get a clear shot at) you are all very good ideas.
Any encounter like that you survive, or avoid in the first place is a win.
Some time in your life, somebody or other is going to stick a gun in your face.
If you stay calm and survive, that is the win.
Everything else is BS.

BKR
4/01/2016 9:25am,
Glad to hear you survived, Jordan. Even if you have a gun, cover and concealment are your friends.

The Villain
4/01/2016 9:54am,
Where were you? How far away do you think the shooters were?

Well, the interesting thing is that the shooting took place at the police checkpoint. They had an intersection blocked off at two sides, then a block away a third part of the street. I was approaching this checkpoint when the shooting started.

Were they gunning for you?

No. At one point they were observing my behavior during their escape, as I was hiding behind a car, but I flattened out and didn't let him get a clear view.

When you ask 'how do you see it?' What do you mean cos if you see it usually means youve been shot. Not seeing it was a blessing in disguise.

I could SEE it, but I couldn't see the shooter or his shape or location. Just the muzzle flashes. So when he stopped shooting, I lost him for a bit.

how did it all go down?

I clocked out, locked up, and cut through the alley behind work. I was worried about an attack, because I'm not sure how much the customers really like me. I take their **** from them on a regular basis. I make it through the alley and on to the street. I was moving towards a police checkpoint, with two points on the short side of a block, and another a block down. This is where the shooting started. I heard a bang, then saw muzzle flashes with more shots. I sprawled, ducking in front of a vehicle. Because it was a one way street and the police controlled three sides of it, I knew the shooter was coming my way. He jumps into a vehicle, points his gun out the window and starts driving. I reconsidered the "in front of a vehicle" strategy, realizing that there was someone IN the vehicle who might flee. So I hid NEXT to the car, angling myself so the car was between myself and the shooter. I imagine, if the driver noticed it, he'd have not been too thrilled, but it was the nearest cover and concealment. The shooter fled, the police were just as shocked as everyone, then regrouped.

It looks like the fighting started a crowd shortly past the checkpoint. I saw what looked like flashlight signals going off which indicated security was active. This probably gave me some advanced warning, which made cover a quicker choice.

BKR
4/01/2016 10:55am,
Well, the interesting thing is that the shooting took place at the police checkpoint. They had an intersection blocked off at two sides, then a block away a third part of the street. I was approaching this checkpoint when the shooting started.

No. At one point they were observing my behavior during their escape, as I was hiding behind a car, but I flattened out and didn't let him get a clear view.

I could SEE it, but I couldn't see the shooter or his shape or location. Just the muzzle flashes. So when he stopped shooting, I lost him for a bit.

I clocked out, locked up, and cut through the alley behind work. I was worried about an attack, because I'm not sure how much the customers really like me. I take their **** from them on a regular basis. I make it through the alley and on to the street. I was moving towards a police checkpoint, with two points on the short side of a block, and another a block down. This is where the shooting started. I heard a bang, then saw muzzle flashes with more shots. I sprawled, ducking in front of a vehicle. Because it was a one way street and the police controlled three sides of it, I knew the shooter was coming my way. He jumps into a vehicle, points his gun out the window and starts driving. I reconsidered the "in front of a vehicle" strategy, realizing that there was someone IN the vehicle who might flee. So I hid NEXT to the car, angling myself so the car was between myself and the shooter. I imagine, if the driver noticed it, he'd have not been too thrilled, but it was the nearest cover and concealment. The shooter fled, the police were just as shocked as everyone, then regrouped.

It looks like the fighting started a crowd shortly past the checkpoint. I saw what looked like flashlight signals going off which indicated security was active. This probably gave me some advanced warning, which made cover a quicker choice.

This one? http://www.whdh.com/story/31614080/reading-police-continue-search-for-man-involved-in-attempted-carjacking

hungryjoe
4/01/2016 12:00pm,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC0keDGobck

For most, getting low is good. Me, I have to stand twice to cast a shadow so don't worry very much about flying bullets and rain drops.

The Villain
4/01/2016 12:11pm,
This one? http://www.whdh.com/story/31614080/reading-police-continue-search-for-man-involved-in-attempted-carjacking

Nah, this was a downtown Boston street.

Wounded Ronin
4/01/2016 10:53pm,
Glad you're OK.

Kovacs
4/02/2016 3:40am,
You did the right thing, you didn't try and be a hero and get yourself killed and you didn't panic and freeze. You thought about what you were doing which is extremely hard with sudden situations like that and you dealt with it. In all honesty you should be proud of yourself.