PDA

View Full Version : FMA kali escrima belt system.

TheSnufkin
3/31/2016 6:00am,
Hi there i have just started a Kali Escrima class. Its the only place nearby that teaches it and its been fun so far. They practice sparing with rattan sticks and use head+hand protrction so it seems like a good place to study. only thing is during my last session the instructor said that i can get black belt in 3 years if i come twice a week. This has me worried about it being a potential mc dojo. Does eskrima have a belt system? If so is 3 years an average time to get a black belt?

plasma
3/31/2016 6:48am,
FMA traditionally has no belt system as the modern belt system you are familiar with is a modern Japanese creation. However, many schools have school ranks that use the belt system in order to attract people and measure progression. What a "Black Belt in Kali" means will vary from school to school.

Permalost
3/31/2016 11:25am,
What plasma said. Some FMA styles use a belt system, particularly ones with Japanese influences (eskrido, for example). My old school's rank went student>maestro>guro (I'm a maestro). Aside from the variability of rank, FMA is very variable in curriculum size as well. Some are very complex systems with many angles and responses to those angles, some are much more simple. My teacher's original style (Batangas baston) was a lot of "don't let me hit you with this stick", but little in the way of broken down instruction. 3 years is a pretty short amount of time to get a black belt in something, but I believe one could become quite competent with a weapon in that amount of time training biweekly. I believe it took me 4 years to reach maestro, training twice a week. The fact that they spar rattan with head protection and gloves is very encouraging, and tends to make the rank less important (assuming that everyone's sparring everyone).

NeilG
3/31/2016 11:48am,
3 years is a pretty short amount of time to get a black belt in somethingEh. Ranks are only comparable within the art and organization you train in. Shodan in kendo is 2 years of rec practice for most people: it's a beginner rank. As long as you don't get too hung up in the mystical black belt BS, NBD.

RynoGreene
3/31/2016 12:42pm,
Yes, what these guys have said. Rank means nothing outside of your school/system. Some will let you rank up to black belt in a couple of years, some in a decade. Don't worry about rank, worry about skill. I've seen many people with no official rank completely annihilate "black belts" in sparring.

Permalost
3/31/2016 1:02pm,
Eh. Ranks are only comparable within the art and organization you train in. Shodan in kendo is 2 years of rec practice for most people: it's a beginner rank. As long as you don't get too hung up in the mystical black belt BS, NBD.

I agree with this approach. Some of the people that push for longer black belt times are doing so because they want their art to be high quality; others are doing so because they want to keep paying customers around longer. Some are students of the latter who are convinced they're students of the former.