PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions For A New Rifle ?

Pages : [1] 2

MarJoe
3/26/2016 5:56am,
Wanenmacher's Gun Show will be on the 3rd and 4th of next month(4,200 tables covering 11 acre. There will be very non-knife or firearm related vendors. I am thinking maybe a Ruger mlni-14 or a Stag Arm L/H SAR 14. Pleasedo not suggest any full autos. What would want to own or think I should add to my collection? Joe

Raycetpfl
3/26/2016 9:07am,
Wanenmacher's Gun Show will be on the 3rd and 4th of next month(4,200 tables covering 11 acre. There will be very non-knife or firearm related vendors. I am thinking maybe a Ruger mlni-14 or a Stag Arm L/H SAR 14. Please do not suggest any full autos. What would want to own or think I should add to my collection? Joe

30/06 AR

375 hh ruger Alaskan

.50 Beowulf AR

12 GA aa1 semi auto version?

12 GA AK or AR

Thompson in .45acp

Scar

ghost55
3/26/2016 11:35am,
Get a Garand. The CMP is out of those things now, and the price is only going up because Obama isn't allowing the re-import of all of the ones in Korea. THANKS OBAMA.

MarJoe
3/26/2016 5:34pm,
A M-1 Garand is already very high priced, I could have Fulton build me a custom M-14 or M1A for you Army types. I still want to a good condition Glock mod. 20 and have it converted to .50 G.I. by Western Tectlogies. Maybe a Ruger model 1 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would like more suggestions. PS, I have a CZ Safari in 9.3(.366)x62. When one of the Pros win a 3 gun shoot with a Sagia or the AA111 then they will go on my want list. Joe

ghost55
3/26/2016 5:46pm,
A M-1 Garand is already very high priced, I could have Fulton build me a custom M-14 or M1A for you Army types. I still want to a good condition Glock mod. 20 and have it converted to .50 G.I. by Western Tectlogies. Maybe a Ruger model 1 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would like more suggestions. PS, I have a CZ Safari in 9.3(.366)x62. When one of the Pros win a 3 gun shoot with a Sagia or the AA111 then they will go on my want list. Joe

I saw a flawless unissued Garand for $1099 at a gun show two weeks ago. You aren't getting a custom m14 or m1a at that price.

Cassius
3/26/2016 8:42pm,
A M-1 Garand is already very high priced, I could have Fulton build me a custom M-14 or M1A for you Army types. I still want to a good condition Glock mod. 20 and have it converted to .50 G.I. by Western Tectlogies. Maybe a Ruger model 1 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would like more suggestions. PS, I have a CZ Safari in 9.3(.366)x62. When one of the Pros win a 3 gun shoot with a Sagia or the AA111 then they will go on my want list. JoeI plan on buying a Henry Big Boy Steel or an old Marlin in 45-70 soon. I can't say I'd have much use for it outside of ringing steel and maybe thumping pigs, but it's nice to know that I can buy ammo ranging from cowboy action loads to loads that are intended for hunting the big five or Tyrannosaurus Rex or some ****.

WFMurphyPhD
3/27/2016 7:12am,
I plan on buying a Henry Big Boy Steel or an old Marlin in 45-70 soon. I can't say I'd have much use for it outside of ringing steel and maybe thumping pigs, but it's nice to know that I can buy ammo ranging from cowboy action loads to loads that are intended for hunting the big five or Tyrannosaurus Rex or some ****.

I recently sold my marlin xlr 45-70.
I never was satisfied with my ability to put the round where I wanted it to go compared to flatter shooting rounds
(even within 100 to 200 yards).
Plus, the ammo was expensive and was often a special order in my locale.
Further, it was not the most fun gun to shoot.
Gun purchases are a personal choice for sure.
For me it comes down to accuracy and will I take the gun shooting on a regular basis to keep some skill with it.
It was not happening for me with the 45-70 rifle, as much as I liked the look of the rifle and the idea of getting to experience a 100 year old round design.

Cassius
3/27/2016 8:13am,
I recently sold my marlin xlr 45-70.
I never was satisfied with my ability to put the round where I wanted it to go compared to flatter shooting rounds
(even within 100 to 200 yards).
Plus, the ammo was expensive and was often a special order in my locale.
Further, it was not the most fun gun to shoot.
Gun purchases are a personal choice for sure.
For me it comes down to accuracy and will I take the gun shooting on a regular basis to keep some skill with it.
It was not happening for me with the 45-70 rifle, as much as I liked the look of the rifle and the idea of getting to experience a 100 year old round design.Yeah, I can understand that. I already have multiple superbly accurate rifles, and I have a .357/.38 levergun to boot. I want the 45-70 because it is versatile and interesting, and I don't really have anything that works for short distance thumping outside of a pump action. I order the majority of my ammo via internet, so I don't worry much about anything being in stock.

Out of curiosity, was your Marlin pre-freedom group days or post? I would be looking for a 15+ year old rifle. Barring that chance discovery, I am comfortable with the quality level of Henry rifles.

WFMurphyPhD
3/27/2016 8:34am,
Yeah, I can understand that. I already have multiple superbly accurate rifles, and I have a .357/.38 levergun to boot. I want the 45-70 because it is versatile and interesting, and I don't really have anything that works for short distance thumping outside of a pump action. I order the majority of my ammo via internet, so I don't worry much about anything being in stock.

Out of curiosity, was your Marlin pre-freedom group days or post? I would be looking for a 15+ year old rifle. Barring that chance discovery, I am comfortable with the quality level of Henry rifles.

My marlin xlr 45-70 was less than 10 years old.
I forget when exactly I bought it.
It was a beautiful rifle, and very reliable.
I hunger to buy a .357/.38 lever gun to replace it.
I am pretty much standardized on the .357/.38 ruger sp101 and gp100 platforms for my carry and home defense pistols.
I'd love to get a reliable lever gun in the same caliber.
You know the story...affordable 38 ammo, many ranges will let you shoot that rifle, common ammo between pistols and rifles, wife friendly recoil etc etc., keep it loaded with .357 for brush range deer hunting and self defense.
Try to get the kids to some cowboy shooting events....

Cassius
3/27/2016 9:09am,
My marlin xlr 45-70 was less than 10 years old.
I forget when exactly I bought it.
It was a beautiful rifle, and very reliable.
I hunger to buy a .357/.38 lever gun to replace it.
I am pretty much standardized on the .357/.38 ruger sp101 and gp100 platforms for my carry and home defense pistols.
I'd love to get a reliable lever gun in the same caliber.
You know the story...affordable 38 ammo, many ranges will let you shoot that rifle, common ammo between pistols and rifles, wife friendly recoil etc etc., keep it loaded with .357 for brush range deer hunting and self defense.
Try to get the kids to some cowboy shooting events....I own a cheap Rossi R92 (model R92-56006 if you're curious) with a big loop and a 16" barrel, which is basically the ideal length to get full powder burn out of most commercially loaded .357. It is obscenely handy, and very accurate with the really hot buffalo bore and Hornady Leverevolution loadings. I like it enough that I am probably going to send it off to Nate "Kiowa" Jones to get it slicked up a bit, since the action hasn't smoothed out as much as I'd like over the past 2000 rounds. I may just purchase the video and do it myself, though. I got one with a pretty good trigger, at least. I can ring steel out to 200 yards fairly easily with it, even with .38spl.

At any rate, I'm planning on buying a Henry color case hardened 45-70 at some point. That model has a barrel length I like, is still relatively practical if I decide I want to take it hunting, and is nice enough to feel proud about passing down to my kiddos.

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/color-case-hardened-edition/

WFMurphyPhD
3/27/2016 9:34am,
I own a cheap Rossi R92 (model R92-56006 if you're curious) with a big loop and a 16" barrel, which is basically the ideal length to get full powder burn out of most commercially loaded .357. It is obscenely handy, and very accurate with the really hot buffalo bore and Hornady Leverevolution loadings. I like it enough that I am probably going to send it off to Nate "Kiowa" Jones to get it slicked up a bit, since the action hasn't smoothed out as much as I'd like over the past 2000 rounds. I may just purchase the video and do it myself, though. I got one with a pretty good trigger, at least. I can ring steel out to 200 yards fairly easily with it, even with .38spl.

At any rate, I'm planning on buying a Henry color case hardened 45-70 at some point. That model has a barrel length I like, is still relatively practical if I decide I want to take it hunting, and is nice enough to feel proud about passing down to my kiddos.

Any reliability issues or concerns with the Rossi?

Cassius
3/27/2016 10:24am,
Any reliability issues or concerns with the Rossi?Yes, but they are minor and ones I can live with:

1.) I have feeding issues with some of the longer overall length semi jacketed flat point .357 Magnum rounds, mostly the cheap stuff. Buffalo Bore and Leverevolution rounds feed well, so I have great rifle-centric hunting/SD options.

2.) The action was really rough until I worked it a few hundred times. It smoothed out appreciably with about 10-20 min of repeated working of the lever.

3.) There is a dinky safety bolted onto the top of the receiver that everyone hates. I don't mind it.

4.) Trigger pull weights are going to vary, and your trigger will probably start out rough and smooth out over time. Mine is fairly nice. I haven't really measured it, but I'd estimate 4-7lbs. Breaks sharply, no major pretravel/take-up or over travel. Does not hinder me.

5.) The lever cuts my knuckle after 30-50 rounds. I am going to deburr and round it out soon. This would be less of a concern if the action were slicker. There are aftermarket leather wraps available that will also do the trick.

6.) The feeding gate is almost knife sharp. I need to fix that soon.

7.) Limited gunsmith support. Nate Jones over at stevezguns.com is about it. Brownells carries a decent amount of replacement parts.

8.) Rossi has notoriously hit or miss warranty support.

So the overall theme is that super long flat nose bullets will probably give you feeding issues, there are some QC issues that are pretty minor quibbles, there aren't a ton of customization options, and you could have issues if you need Rossi to fix something.

I am notorious for tinkering with my guns, so none of those issues bother me. I look at it as having excellent but inexpensive clay to start molding. And frankly marlin's rep has become so bad lately that I wouldn't buy a new rifle of theirs without having a gunsmith go over it. That doesn't leave many other inexpensive gate loading options. If the lack of a loading gate doesn't bother you and you are worried about Rossi's reputation, I urge you to look into Henry. Great American company.

So let this serve as a qualified "yes" for the Rossi R92. It's very accurate, insanely fun, cheap, and the issues it does have don't really bother me. I can say that if you want to get into cowboy action, consider looking at a slightly longer model with higher mag capacity. I can do 8+1 .357 and 9+1 .38, but I believe CAS heavily favors 10+1 setups.

WFMurphyPhD
3/27/2016 10:49am,
Yes, but they are minor and ones I can live with:

1.) I have feeding issues with some of the longer overall length semi jacketed flat point .357 Magnum rounds, mostly the cheap stuff. Buffalo Bore and Leverevolution rounds feed well, so I have great rifle-centric hunting/SD options.

2.) The action was really rough until I worked it a few hundred times. It smoothed out appreciably with about 10-20 min of repeated working of the lever.

3.) There is a dinky safety bolted onto the top of the receiver that everyone hates. I don't mind it.

4.) Trigger pull weights are going to vary, and your trigger will probably start out rough and smooth out over time. Mine is fairly nice. I haven't really measured it, but I'd estimate 4-7lbs. Breaks sharply, no major pretravel/take-up or over travel. Does not hinder me.

5.) The lever cuts my knuckle after 30-50 rounds. I am going to deburr and round it out soon. This would be less of a concern if the action were slicker. There are aftermarket leather wraps available that will also do the trick.

6.) The feeding gate is almost knife sharp. I need to fix that soon.

7.) Limited gunsmith support. Nate Jones over at stevezguns.com is about it. Brownells carries a decent amount of replacement parts.

8.) Rossi has notoriously hit or miss warranty support.

So the overall theme is that super long flat nose bullets will probably give you feeding issues, there are some QC issues that are pretty minor quibbles, there aren't a ton of customization options, and you could have issues if you need Rossi to fix something.

I am notorious for tinkering with my guns, so none of those issues bother me. I look at it as having excellent but inexpensive clay to start molding. And frankly marlin's rep has become so bad lately that I wouldn't buy a new rifle of theirs without having a gunsmith go over it. That doesn't leave many other inexpensive gate loading options. If the lack of a loading gate doesn't bother you and you are worried about Rossi's reputation, I urge you to look into Henry. Great American company.

So let this serve as a qualified "yes" for the Rossi R92. It's very accurate, insanely fun, cheap, and the issues it does have don't really bother me. I can say that if you want to get into cowboy action, consider looking at a slightly longer model with higher mag capacity. I can do 8+1 .357 and 9+1 .38, but I believe CAS heavily favors 10+1 setups.

Thank you!
I really appreciate the information!

Ming Loyalist
3/27/2016 11:56am,
with all the horror stories about freedom group, i think i may want to stick to savage and tikka when getting new rifles for the moment, and look for pre-freedoms on the used market if i'm looking for anything remington/marlin.

Cassius
3/27/2016 12:35pm,
with all the horror stories about freedom group, i think i may want to stick to savage and tikka when getting new rifles for the moment, and look for pre-freedoms on the used market if i'm looking for anything remington/marlin.Remington actions are still generally good, not sure about the barrels, bottom metal, and triggers. I'd prefer not to give those guys my money after the way they have mismanaged so many great companies, though.

The savage model 10 barreled action that I dropped into the xlr chassis is never going to be as smooth as a slicked up Remington action, but the user adjustable accu-trigger, floating bolt head, and user replaceable barrels make it a really great gun for a tinkerer like me. It is easily capable of shooting half MOA or maybe even better in its current configuration, so it's a keeper in my book. Not bad for spending less than $1500 for rifle, chassis, and scope.

Waiting on a LaRue tactical QD equipped atlas psr bipod to complete the build.

Cassius
3/30/2016 8:43am,
Because I have excellent taste in firearms, terrible self control, and extra money, I just bought one of these in 45-70:

I'm probably going to have to sneak this one into the house when the wife isn't home . . . .