PDA

View Full Version : 44yo beginning bjj.... Got some questions and looking for advice

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Smackman
3/16/2016 2:30pm,
What kind of gi would you recommend for a beginner that has not chisen a school yet? I'm probably going to wind up in a no gi school based on schedule, but want to train gi as well and eventually try out some of the regional competitions. I'd like something comfortable and sturdy that isn't covered in patches and logos. Any suggestions? I am 6' 200 lb. Should I look at A3 or A4? Any suggestions are welcome.

submessenger
3/16/2016 3:29pm,
Welcome to Bullshido!

I have a "93 Brand" gi that is completely plain, by design. I also have a Fuji gi that has only a pair of small embroidered logos (but it came with self-apply patches). Both of them are decent gis, my preference of the 2 is the 93 Brand, they do a little better job with the drawstrings and the lapel feels much sturdier. The Fuji I've been wearing for 4 years, now, but consider that I have 3 other gis in rotation.

ermghoti
3/16/2016 3:29pm,
Your lucky day, I just stopped waffling, and got a couple of these: http://hsujudo.com/jujitsuUniforms.html

Haven't arrived yet, but they were recommended here. Just call them and tell them about your body, they'll guide you. I take an A2 in other brands, they suggested to get a 5 and shrink it, you'll probably go 6. If not, I would probably have gone with Padilla, and I might still if I end up competing.

WFMurphyPhD
3/16/2016 3:35pm,
With the exception of my nearly 20 year old Atamas that just don't want to seem to die,
I almost universally buy and wear plain white all cotton Judo gi's
that I get from Amazon for less than $50, sometimes less than $40 delivered to my door as an Amazon Prime customer.
Pro Force, Fuji, and other brands frequently go on sale on Amazon for low prices, with 2 day shipping included for "free" for Amazon Prime customers.

submessenger
3/16/2016 3:46pm,
they suggested to get a 5 and shrink it

Important safety tip, there. Last 3 gis I bought, I had to shrink all of them (warm to hot dryer after washing). Fuji I bought A3 and shrunk it multiple times. 93 I bought A2L and shrunk it once. Moya I bought A2 and shrunk it once. After that, cold water wash and hang-dry. They are all perfect, now. I'm 6'0 and 146 pounds.

Devil
3/17/2016 8:41am,
With the exception of my nearly 20 year old Atamas that just don't want to seem to die,
I almost universally buy and wear plain white all cotton Judo gi's
that I get from Amazon for less than $50, sometimes less than $40 delivered to my door as an Amazon Prime customer.
Pro Force, Fuji, and other brands frequently go on sale on Amazon for low prices, with 2 day shipping included for "free" for Amazon Prime customers.

But, but, but.....how do you look cool dressed like that??? No patches? No colors? No snug, tailored fit? What the ****? I bet you wear your belt around your waist too, instead of down around your ass. Dork.

Raycetpfl
3/17/2016 8:56am,
What kind of gi would you recommend for a beginner that has not chisen a school yet? I'm probably going to wind up in a no gi school based on schedule, but want to train gi as well and eventually try out some of the regional competitions. I'd like something comfortable and sturdy that isn't covered in patches and logos. Any suggestions? I am 6' 200 lb. Should I look at A3 or A4? Any suggestions are welcome.
A3 probably. If you love America and you dont support terrorism buy American MADE FROM THREAD TO GI.
http://www.warriorkimonos.com

WFMurphyPhD
3/17/2016 9:00am,
But, but, but.....how do you look cool dressed like that??? No patches? No colors? No snug, tailored fit? What the ****? I bet you wear your belt around your waist too, instead of down around your ass. Dork.

I have been made fun of many times for wearing my belt high on my waist.

Most of the time I wear a plain $5 black belt too, with no red stripe, and certainly no degrees on it.

I'll wear a white belt and not think twice about it if I don't have a belt with me.

I wash my belts.

And...wait for it...I am leading the wear socks while you grapple or play Judo movement.

I'm not Mestre Wallid, and I have no sponsors.

So, no patches on my gi's.

And, I have my students wear head gear when their ears start to swell, to avoid deformities.

Did you hear that?

That was the sound of all the Cool leaving the room when I came in.

The other black belts have told / asked me that I have to fancy Gi and belt it up for

promotion ceremonies, and that is the only time I bother to.

Devil
3/17/2016 9:11am,
Seriously though, any grappler who doesn't wash his belt is a nasty ************ who will probably give his training partners ringworm.

ermghoti
3/17/2016 10:30am,
Seriously though, any grappler who doesn't wash his belt is a nasty ************ who will probably give his training partners ringworm.

I washed my belt once, despite the manufacturer's explicit warning not to. It sweat out some sort of purple ink from the inside. After a couple hours with OxyClean and Carbona, it faded enough to wear again. Maybe I'll start spraying it down and rinsing it, because cooties.

Devil
3/17/2016 10:35am,
I washed my belt once, despite the manufacturer's explicit warning not to. It sweat out some sort of purple ink from the inside. After a couple hours with OxyClean and Carbona, it faded enough to wear again. Maybe I'll start spraying it down and rinsing it, because cooties.

You're nasty, bro. Sorry.

BKR
3/17/2016 10:45am,
I have been made fun of many times for wearing my belt high on my waist.

Most of the time I wear a plain $5 black belt too, with no red stripe, and certainly no degrees on it.

I'll wear a white belt and not think twice about it if I don't have a belt with me.

I wash my belts.

And...wait for it...I am leading the wear socks while you grapple or play Judo movement.

I'm not Mestre Wallid, and I have no sponsors.

So, no patches on my gi's.

And, I have my students wear head gear when their ears start to swell, to avoid deformities.

Did you hear that?

The other black belts have told / asked me that I have to fancy Gi and belt it up for

promotion ceremonies, and that is the only time I bother to.

I was wearing a plain, single weight, unbleached HSU judogi for quite some time. I'd show up at coach training, and training camps like that, it was pretty funny the looks I'd get. Everybody would have on $250 heavy competition judogi (no patches of course), all nice and bleached and stiff.

I finally got a medium weight bleached uniform. It's getting pretty worn out on the collar, mostly from being washed in a top-load washer.

I hate it when people wear their belts around their hips. I really appreciate that the guy I do BJJ with (a 2 or 3 stripe black belt) wears his on his natural waist.

Devil
3/17/2016 11:08am,
I hate it when people wear their belts around their hips. I really appreciate that the guy I do BJJ with (a 2 or 3 stripe black belt) wears his on his natural waist.

You're an old dude with no pride who will never get laid again, except out of pity or in exchange for bills paid on the lady's behalf. You're supposed to wear your belt in the vicinity of your nuts. You should be shooting for the same general area that Slash wears his guitar.

BKR
3/17/2016 11:21am,
You're an old dude with no pride who will never get laid again, except out of pity or in exchange for bills paid on the lady's behalf. You're supposed to wear your belt in the vicinity of your nuts. You should be shooting for the same general area that Slash wears his guitar.

If I wear my belt around mid-thigh I'd trip and fall down...

Raycetpfl
3/17/2016 12:27pm,

I wash my belts. I do both of those things.

This doesn't seem safe. Wrestling shoes I get. This sounds like a good way to blow an acl.

Did you hear that?

I have head gear I will lend out for injured ears and implore people to get their ears drained and compressed when they are injured.

I always giggle at these dudes with Orc ears that are D - level grapplers at best.

I don't want cauliflower ear for same reason I don't wear a shirt that says, "I am carrying a gun on my hip." If some **** goes down I would prefer people were suprised.

WFMurphyPhD
3/17/2016 12:33pm,
This doesn't seem safe. Wrestling shoes I get. This sounds like a good way to blow an acl.

I just slide around on the balls of my feet during Judo Randori or Nage Komi while wearing socks and prescription knee braces,
while attempting old man Judo techniques or some throwback old man wrestling;
it keeps me from trying to use driving force when my legs are busted anyway.
I generally aggressively execute ukemi rather than resist any take down technique that is either too high intensity for me to defuse safely given my orthopedics
OR that is particularly well done technically
(why should I resist a well done Judo throw?
I like being thrown well almost as much as I like throwing people).
I make no claims as to the safety of doing Judo (or wrestling) in socks, but I don't mind the handicap - since I already am used to training with a handicap.
In this case the handicap helps keep me "honest" regarding not trying to use force in my randori or nage komi.

AND the socks prevent mat burns,
which given I have mild to moderate peripheral neuropathies from the chemo,
this helps me keep my feet longer.

I always giggle at these dudes with Orc ears that are D - level grapplers at best.
I don't want cauliflower ear for same reason I don't wear a shirt that says, "I am carrying a gun on my hip." If some **** goes down I would prefer people were suprised.

I agree; that is the grappling equivalent of "big hat, no cattle".