PDA

View Full Version : Active Shooter Preparedness - a study in multiple parts

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

submessenger
3/11/2016 11:26am,
Just when you thought RBSD was getting boring...

Enter "Active Shooter Preparedness," courtesy of the same guys that brought you the TSA.

I'll put this right out front - there's nothing overtly wrong with fostering a program that aims to keep our kids safe at school, and ourselves safe in our cubicles. But, it is a government initiative, and we know those tend to be filled with Waste, Fraud, and Abuse. Add to that the RBSD nature of many of the programs, sprinkle in a healthy portion of businesses looking to make a quick buck, and all the stops are out.

In this series, I won't be providing reviews of specific schools, but rather distilling the principles from several sources, comparing and contrasting said ideas with DHS information, and with "common sense." A lot of this material will be new to me, and probably to you, too. So, sit back, hit the "subscribe" button, get some popcorn. This should be a lot of fun. First episode to post here Monday, 3/14/16.

goodlun
3/11/2016 11:52am,
This would be the FBI's advice(I believe)

https://youtu.be/5VcSwejU2D0

After the San Bernardino shooting I had to make sure everyone's computer could access said video at work.

Kovacs
3/11/2016 12:02pm,
Oh my god this is going to be solid gold! Fat fucks with zero worth-while experience who are burning their disposable income on taccy gear that they don't need, teaching bizarre and dangerous techniques to wide eyed yuppies.

Bneterasedmynam
3/11/2016 1:10pm,
I recently watched a John Oliver episode about this type of **** being showed in schools to address active shooter situations. I personally think it's just desperation. That old "somethings got to be done" crap.

ermghoti
3/11/2016 1:47pm,
Something like this came in from on high at work. Deleted without reading. The actual, random public shootings these programs are alleged to address are happening maybe a couple dozen times annually, in a population of 340 million. The belief that people are going to pick up useful defense against an active shooter via email is beyond the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Hear bangs? Run to where there are no bangs. Lesson over, and that's still more time than it's worth.

It's also hilarious that the same people who insist a CCW carrier could never stop a shooter think that a couple soccer moms should bum-rush a gunman.

Kravbizarre
3/11/2016 11:44pm,
I went to a seminar that touched on this topic a while back. I didnt know what to expect and thought id go due to curiosity and hoping there would be good tips.

Basically there was a good point where the host said "people train fire drills for an event where a fire breaks out but why not an active shooter?". Thats a fair point. Then showed footage of the columbine school shooting and how the shooters where killing people hiding under desks thus proving duck and cover is worthless in this scenario.

Later in the night we did drills where there was one gunman (later on more shooters and more bystanders) and 3 people unarmed in the group. The drill was rush the shooters and bring em down and either pin or disarm the gun.

Later on when the numbers increased it was clear to see that out of 10 bystanders maybe 8 would survive if they rushed the gunman opposed to all dying if they did nothing.

In reality however you cant organise with others to all rush someone like that because well the bullets will be flying and hardly anyone would have the training necassary to confront such a person. Also people generally dont have the balls to take such an action, it can be suicidal (youd hate to rush the shooter and find no one is backing you up).

Running in a random pattern to try avoid gunfire would be the way to go otherwise hiding would be the other option. A gun trumps everything, if the person is out to kill and not take hostages unless you have a gun yourself then the odds of survival are slim.

HarshMallow
3/12/2016 12:04am,
Later on when the numbers increased it was clear to see that out of 10 bystanders maybe 8 would survive if they rushed the gunman opposed to all dying if they did nothing.

I can see school libraries filling up with this book if a policy like that ever gets implemented:

Permalost
3/12/2016 3:10am,
So running around yelling "race war!" isn't recommended?

Raycetpfl
3/12/2016 8:36am,
I have actually taken quite a few of these classes by Video.

The Bourne series 1-3

John Wick's active shooter program.

All kidding aside I don't know if I could live with myself if I just ran away when women and children were being massacred. That might be too much for me to live with.

ermghoti
3/12/2016 9:19am,
Basically there was a good point where the host said "people train fire drills for an event where a fire breaks out but why not an active shooter?".

Because there are about 2000 times more non-residential fires than public shootings, and nobody tells people to play firefighter with no training.

mrtnira
3/12/2016 9:28am,
Raycetpfl, referencing your using the Borne series as a training video, I joked with someone in the office that the new Hitman computer game was going to be computer-based-trainging (CBT).

But seriously, in the end, there is no good way to face office place violence. The layout of many office buildings is not conducive to easy evacuation, and people can get trapped with the assailant between them and the exit. And, when people say do X, in one situation X works. In the next situation, X gets people killed. And then new training doctrine is developed that sets people up for the same pattern of do Y, and Y works in one place, but not the next.... It's a cycle of looking for the always-works answer, and there isn't one.

Wounded Ronin
3/12/2016 11:23am,
So why not just have everyone in the office have the option to be armed if they are legally able? Or have a few ARs in glass cases scattered around the office, like AEDs? I guess one stops your heart and the other starts it. :)

ChenPengFi
3/12/2016 1:14pm,
Repost, but fits right in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ysmsfQyuw

Permalost
3/12/2016 3:47pm,
Start each work day imagining tomahawking your stapler at a shooter's ski masked face.

submessenger
3/12/2016 4:05pm,
Start each work day imagining tomahawking your stapler at a shooter's ski masked face.

Just be careful to not imagine it too much, lest you become the active shooter.

ermghoti
3/12/2016 4:18pm,

I take note of things that would ruin a lunatic's day. We got some really nice stuff around. We have these guys in a range of sizes, I look the looks of the ones that are about 30"...

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ePMAAOSw8d9UwZFw/s-l300.jpg