PDA

View Full Version : using your bodyweight in tkd

Pages : [1] 2

johnbo
5/15/2004 2:25pm,
When I used to do taekwondo I sometimes heard things about 'using your bodyweight'. It sounded logical to me that the bigger guy would use his weight to his advantage. When I watched stuff like K1 or boxing I saw the advantage the heavier guys had over the leighter ones.
But somehow, in tkd I couldn't get it to work for me. At 200 lbs. I outweighed most of the guys in class (the typical tkd-shrimp, skinny but fast). During sparring they would tag me time after time with their fast kicks. But when we had open mat after class and we let go of the point sparring rules I could easily rush 'em into the corner and then they were mine.
Basically 3 years of tkd failed to teach me how to use bodyweight to my advantage.
Then I started Kyokushin and when I learned how to use my hips when giving a lowkick I greatly improved the power of my kicks and the difference between the mechanics of the tkd kick and the KK kick became clear to me.
Now I have also started Judo and in Judo the use of bodyweight seems even more important to me.

I really do think this is one of the major flaws in tkd, which at the time I DID NOT SEE.

To all tkd-ists out there : start crosstraining so you can experience the difference for yourself.

MaverickZ
5/15/2004 2:31pm,
or how about you just go find a good tkd instructor that tells you to rotate your hips when you kick.

SunTzu
5/15/2004 2:45pm,
Whenever someone posts about having their eyes opened by training in some style other than TKD, someone else always suggests finding a TKD teacher who will teach them what they are already learning in the other style. Why is this?

Nightz
5/15/2004 2:47pm,
Why is there so much TKd bashing on this Forum?

MaverickZ
5/15/2004 2:49pm,
Originally posted by SunTzu
Whenever someone posts about having their eyes opened by training in some style other than TKD, someone else always suggests finding a TKD teacher who will teach them what they are already learning in the other style. Why is this?

i would think this is pretty obvious. because tkd has possibly the greatest number of mcdojo and/or just bad schools in general than any other style.

SunTzu
5/15/2004 2:53pm,
My question was more along the lines of what would induce him to search for an instructor who teaches him what he's already learning somewhere else. Other than loyalty.

johnbo
5/15/2004 2:53pm,
Maverick,
I know nothing about you so don't blame me for asking : but are you sure you ARE learning it the right way?

MaverickZ
5/15/2004 2:56pm,
SunTzu: Nothing. What i was trying to say was that there are people out there who teach tkd roundhouses with a hip turn, or more generally, proper tae kwon do.

johnbo: yes i am sure.

Jenfucius
5/15/2004 3:02pm,
try playing football, you foreign asshole. and i ain't talking bout soccer.

johnbo
5/15/2004 3:07pm,
Originally posted by Jenfucius
try playing football, you foreign asshole. and i ain't talking bout soccer.

Forgot to take your pills today?

Punisher
5/15/2004 3:45pm,
I think you're still confused. Using you're bodyweight doesn't have anything to do with being big or small, it's about using what you got. It's even more important for smaller guys to learn how to effectively use their body weight because they are smaller and weaker phyiscally. They have to make up the difference in technqiue.

Stold3
5/15/2004 4:00pm,
Yup. Kick with your hip and use your bodyweight. Class mantra.

johnbo
5/15/2004 4:07pm,
Originally posted by Osiris
if you had any knowledge of the mechanics of the technqiues you were using or of the basic learning process that you should've gone through to perfect your kicks you wouldn't have a problem.

2 months of kyokushin taught me more about these mechanics than 3 yrs of tkd, that's the point I'm trying to make

As for the hips, thats BASIC. I trained at one of the biggest mcdojos in the area and that was one of the first things taught.

It wasn't taught to me, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this

johnbo
5/15/2004 4:08pm,
Originally posted by Osiris
You just suck.

I know that.

JohnnyBoy
5/15/2004 4:23pm,
Your eyes have been opened.. so be happy and thankful for that and train as hard as u can with KK...

good for you

*thumbs up*

Xango
5/15/2004 4:30pm,
I believe it boils down to:

TKD sparring rewards fast kicks, not powerful kicks.

Chambering a roundhouse makes it fast, not powerful.

Ergo, most TKD players will kick fast, not hard.

Unless hurting people with their feet becomes a priority for them, in which case they discover it isn't FUCKING ROCKET SCIENCE!