PDA

View Full Version : Leg Squeeze from guard

Pages : [1] 2

Solumn
2/09/2016 9:46pm,
So I only have a few partners to roll with the smallest of which is around 210 lbs the larges 245 ish. I'm only 130 lbs and while I feel like rolling with a larger opponent is beneficial, there are some things they can do that I just can't seem to overcome.

My opponent in this case will raise his hips and squeeze his legs extremely hard on my lower ribs from his closed guard. I've tried digging the elbow into the inner thigh near the groin, but the pain is so much that I can barely move and usually end up tapping to this.

Is there anyway besides actual strikes to stop him from doing this? Or am I just to small to really compete with someone with so much of a weight advantage?

plasma
2/17/2016 5:16am,
It's called Do Jime in Judo. I find Standing Guard Breaks pretty much destroy it.

gregaquaman
2/17/2016 6:12am,
Can opener the prick.

https://youtu.be/98iW2ahMPK0

DCS
2/17/2016 7:29am,
Have you asked your instructor?

Raycetpfl
2/17/2016 9:24am,
So I only have a few partners to roll with the smallest of which is around 210 lbs the larges 245 ish. I'm only 130 lbs and while I feel like rolling with a larger opponent is beneficial, there are some things they can do that I just can't seem to overcome.

My opponent in this case will raise his hips and squeeze his legs extremely hard on my lower ribs from his closed guard. I've tried digging the elbow into the inner thigh near the groin, but the pain is so much that I can barely move and usually end up tapping to this.

Is there anyway besides actual strikes to stop him from doing this? Or am I just to small to really compete with someone with so much of a weight advantage?

turn your hips sideways inside guard and pass.

WFMurphyPhD
2/17/2016 12:24pm,
If you are 130 lbs grappling heavyweights,
your first obligation is to protect yourself.
Tap when you need to, and restart.
Save your body for the big money world championship finals or a real self-defense situation.

Raycetpfl
2/17/2016 12:34pm,
Is there anyway besides actual strikes to stop him from doing this?

if you think you don't like wrestling a HW, weight (weight lol, get it?) until you get hit back by one.

Permalost
2/17/2016 12:41pm,
Tap if you need to, but then give them an annoyed sarcastic clap afterwards.

https://i.imgur.com/icDAkh.jpg

RynoGreene
2/18/2016 1:38pm,
Elbows in thighs is not particularly effective. Against people so much bigger, you really need to work on some fundamentals for opening guard. Get good posture, knee in their ass, hands on their hips or rib areas. If you're not even doing this, you are doing it wrong, and really need some coaching. After establishing good posture, there are tons more good options. Standing passes may be helpful.

Solumn
2/19/2016 11:51pm,
Thanks for all the replies, I go to a gym but honestly it's sorta a mcdojo. I mostly try to train myself using gracie academy and online videos and past knowledge ( I went to a real MMA gym for around 6 or 7 months ) Any advice and or links to the basics of setting up a good base while in guard would be super helpful!

plasma
2/23/2016 5:46am,
Thanks for all the replies, I go to a gym but honestly it's sorta a mcdojo. I mostly try to train myself using gracie academy and online videos and past knowledge ( I went to a real MMA gym for around 6 or 7 months ) Any advice and or links to the basics of setting up a good base while in guard would be super helpful!

Find a new academy.

DCS
2/23/2016 7:37am,
Find a new academy.

This.

Meanwhile work on what this guy is doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L2UEp7Iv54

Raycetpfl
2/23/2016 10:14am,
This.

Meanwhile work on what this guy is doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L2UEp7Iv54

I disagree with his method. it makes you too "short" by sitting on your butt , your hips are too low and your neck is too close to the guard player. bump sweeps and all the havoc they wreak when you have to defend them are sure to follow if you stay low like that.
Also his premise is false when he says the maximum force that can be produced by the guard player is the weight of the torso. The guard player can squeeze his legs tight elevate slightly and then use his core and arms to generate force directly on the neck to break posture. the maximum force would be what ever the guard player could generate by using that rowing motion with the legs and arms. if the guard player does sit up completely a sweep attempt is almost assured unless the passer throws him down allowing his posture to be broken.
I have certainly seen worse techniques but this one has lots of holes
the part that is good about it is the hips tipped forward. Passing posture for breaking the closed guard should be done a lot like Judo posture. Tall, hips forward , turned sideways ,and head up and looking away from the guard player.

Raycetpfl
2/23/2016 10:36am,
Why do you want to weigh 130lbs? Maybe get a prescription for testosterone and lift until you weigh more then women and children and then moves that only work on women and children won't work on you anymore.

technique to beat a squeeze : stand tall on your knees inside guard. put his knee caps in the middle of your forearms and push down and wiggle until his legs are around your hips. Turn sideways and begin to pass with your hips and legs and begin to pass.

DCS
2/23/2016 10:44am,
Lots of valid concerns, however I'm one of the shortest and lightest guys where I train and sitting in my butt while inside closed guard like this guy proposes is not that bad at it seems. I've been told I feel heavier than I should considering my size and I rarely get swept from there.

Have you watched the other four videos in this series? He adresses some of the points you made.

Raycetpfl
2/23/2016 10:49am,
Lots of valid concerns, however I'm one of the shortest and lightest guys where I train and sitting in my butt while inside closed guard like this guy proposes is not that bad at it seems. I've been told I feel heavier than I should considering my size and I rarely get swept from there.

Have you watched the other four videos in this series? He adresses some of the points you made.

No I haven't but I will now.