PDA

View Full Version : Another Mass Shooting

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

It is Fake
12/02/2015 6:37pm,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/02/the-san-bernardino-mass-shooting-is-the-second-today-and-the-355th-this-year/

Okay so, what I found interesting is the chart they used. According to this blog there were 3555 mass shootings this year.
https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2015/12/mass_shootings.png&w=1484

Here is the data source.

http://shootingtracker.com/wiki/Main_Page

If it went back through to the 60s or 70s I might buy it a bit more. Naw, that's a lie.

Oh well, time to pick up a few more to protect my rights.

Permalost
12/02/2015 6:55pm,
According to this blog there were 3555 mass shootings this year.

*typo*

BKR
12/02/2015 6:58pm,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/02/the-san-bernardino-mass-shooting-is-the-second-today-and-the-355th-this-year/

Okay so, what I found interesting is the chart they used. According to this blog there were 3555 mass shootings this year.
https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2015/12/mass_shootings.png&w=1484

Here is the data source.

http://shootingtracker.com/wiki/Main_Page

If it went back through to the 60s or 70s I might buy it a bit more. Naw, that's a lie.

Oh well, time to pick up a few more to protect my rights.

So I took a peek into their database, which has web-links to the sources.

Although I think most folks think of something different than a home-robbery or 1 convicted felon shooting 3-4 other convicted felons in a mobile home, when they think of "mass shootings".

King Moonracer
12/02/2015 7:31pm,
So I took a peek into their database, which has web-links to the sources.

Although I think most folks think of something different than a home-robbery or 1 convicted felon shooting 3-4 other convicted felons in a mobile home, when they think of "mass shootings".

They consider 3 a mass shooting. That's the general consensus for when it's a mass shooting,3.
I personally don't think it should be a "massive" shooting if a revolver didn't need to be reloaded and it hot chambers left.
3,That's a partially full honda civic or a crowded motor cycle. If one of those ran into a brick wall would it be a mass car accident?
My and my girl got in a little argument about this. She thinks three is a fair number to call it a mass shooting. Wikipedia agrees with her.

It is Fake
12/03/2015 12:01am,
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44126.pdf

Mass Murder with Firearms: Incidents and Victims, 1999-2013
Congressional Research Service
What Constitutes Mass Killings, Multiple Murder,
Mass Murder, and Mass Shootings?
In the wake of tragedy in 2012 in Newtown, CT, Congress defined “mass killings” to mean “3 or
more killings in a single incident” (P.L. 112-265; January 14, 2013). That definition does not
make reference to a weapon.
In the 1980s, the FBI established a system to classify multiple murder, mass murder, spree
murder, and serial murder.
These efforts were led by the FBI Behavioral Science Unit (BSU)
and National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime (NCAVC).
Both the BSU and NCAVC
began documenting and studying multiple rapists and killers, as part of a wider process to
research and analyze violent crime trends.
According to several criminologists, some of whom
are retired FBI Special Agents previously assigned to the BSU, crimes can be classified by type,
style, and victim counts.
Homicides, for example, have been traditionally classified by victim
counts (or thresholds) as follows:
A
single homicide
is one victim slain in one event.
A
double homicide
is two victims slain, in one event, in one location.
A
triple homicide
is three victims slain, in one event, in one location.
A
mass murder
is four or more victims slain, in one event, in one locationSo, they changed the definition in 2012.

ChenPengFi
12/03/2015 3:03am,
There seems to be a wide berth definition-wise.

DCS
12/03/2015 7:33am,
So, they changed the definition in 2012.[/B]
Maybe because the rise of obesity? Today's three victims amount the same mass of four victims of yore.

Christmas Spirit
12/03/2015 7:47am,
Maybe because the rise of obesity? Today's three victims amount the same mass of four victims of yore.

a pound of flesh is still a pound of flesh... like a pound of feathers. You would just have more pounds to pay ...

As for the rewording of the law maybe it relates to budget cuts and security of certain areas somehow?

I mean 4.3 people would make sense for a nuclear family ... maybe it reflects the actual make up of the modern average family unit?

I bet aliens did it.

OZZ
12/03/2015 8:25pm,
I have learned over the years not to get into a debate with my largely American Bullshido brothers about gun control issues. Guns don't kill people, people kill people, why should I give up my right to bear arms because of criminals etc etc..I need my guns to protect my family etc.
But from a Canadian perspective, we watch the news up here and it seems as if almost every other day there is another one of these.
It is very sad that it has become so commonplace.
I hold to the opinion that if the US government had enacted stricter federal gun control laws during the prohibition era, and kept them in place, the gun violence issues in America may never have become what they are today.
Does anybody agree with me ?
Think about what I am arguing here..and imagine if during the Capone era when gangsters were tommy-gunning one another in droves, the FBI had not only been formed and cracked down on organized crime, but also successfully lobbied the federal government to enact strict gun control laws, similar to those we have in Canada, but not as strict as those in the UK.
Would the face of American gun culture be markedly different than what we see today ?
Or am I just a canuck with no clue ?

It is Fake
12/03/2015 8:37pm,
I have learned over the years not to get into a debate with my largely American Bullshido brothers about gun control issues....

--snip--
Think about what I am arguing here.LOL.

I'll give you a very detailed answer later, but this **** is fucking hilarious.

FinalLegion
12/03/2015 9:03pm,
I have learned over the years not to get into a debate with my largely American Bullshido brothers about gun control issues. Guns don't kill people, people kill people, why should I give up my right to bear arms because of criminals etc etc..I need my guns to protect my family etc.
But from a Canadian perspective, we watch the news up here and it seems as if almost every other day there is another one of these.
I hold to the opinion that if the US government had enacted stricter federal gun control laws during the prohibition era, and kept them in place, the gun violence issues in America may never have become what they are today.
Think about what I am arguing here..and imagine if during the Capone era when gangsters were tommy-gunning one another in droves, the FBI had not only been formed and cracked down on organized crime, but also successfully lobbied the federal government to enact strict gun control laws, similar to those we have in Canada, but not as strict as those in the UK.
Would the face of American gun culture be markedly different than what we see today ?

I don't think that it would have been as easy as all that.

It's not gun ownership that I'm really concerned with. I just can't put my finger on why these mass shootings seem so commonplace.

Is there a common denominator? Are there multiple causes? Are there measures that will actually reduce mass shootings?

I just don't know. All I know is that I'm tired of seeing this happen.

Holy Moment
12/03/2015 9:41pm,
They consider 3 a mass shooting. That's the general consensus for when it's a mass shooting,3.
I personally don't think it should be a "massive" shooting if a revolver didn't need to be reloaded and it hot chambers left.
3,That's a partially full honda civic or a crowded motor cycle. If one of those ran into a brick wall would it be a mass car accident?
My and my girl got in a little argument about this. She thinks three is a fair number to call it a mass shooting. Wikipedia agrees with her.

Dan Severn: I hold myself to the standard that I need to rape at least ten people in one setting before calling my conquest a mass sodomy.

Christmas Spirit
12/03/2015 11:35pm,
Lay larger pipe?

I mean I really don't know how to respond to that complaint/insight.

ChenPengFi
12/03/2015 11:59pm,

Because prohibition was so effective?
I don't even know what to think about that string of words, except for the last sentence.

ghost55
12/04/2015 1:48am,
The important thing we learned from this is we need to start deporting all of the camel jockeys to Mexico where they belong.

BKR
12/04/2015 11:36am,

You know better, but let us know about gun crime in Canada relative to the USA, and violent crime in general in Canada.

Then compare and contrast the differences in population, culture and history.