PDA

View Full Version : MMA belt system?

Pages : [1] 2

matutor
11/09/2015 4:12pm,
Does this exist? I want to open up a gym one day that offers brazilian jiu jitsu, boxing, muay thai, kickboxing, mma ect. But I also feel like some traditionalists dismiss going to an mma gym because they want to train in a gi. As far as i know, muay thai fighters, boxers, kick boxers, mma fighters dont wear gi's when they train lol ( i know there's sambo, but I think wearing a gi and some shorts is kinda ugly lol) . But I feel like it would be cool to have a gym that gives people a sense of progress in a belt system progressing based on how well they fight. For example, they could be a blue belt in jiu jitsu, but at the same time have the striking capabilities of an amatuer muay thai fighter. (or whatever the equivalent of a "Blue" belt is in muay thai, I'm not aware of a rank system in muay thai however, but I would like to be enlightened on that).

Diesel_tke
12/09/2015 4:13pm,
Yes, it does exist.

goodlun
12/09/2015 4:34pm,
I am pretty sure Greg Jackson offers a "black belt" in MMA.
You could always go with Trunk Color sort of a take on what Bravo did with Rash Guards.

Raycetpfl
12/09/2015 4:57pm,
I am pretty sure Greg Jackson offers a "black belt" in MMA.
You could always go with Trunk Color sort of a take on what Bravo did with Rash Guards.

Gaijutsu or something is Greg jacksons. He basically swagger jacked the whole gracie curriculum. I have his book.

Permalost
12/09/2015 6:09pm,
There's several MMA belt systems out there, but there's no unification between them so there's no standard color progression or standard curriculum or quality control.

slamdunc
12/09/2015 8:36pm,
I went to watch a class near Waukegan one night; the instructor was sporting a GOLD belt and they had some people with CAMO belts. They told me that if I was from a traditional system, that I wouldn't be able to understand their system; I didn't care to understand that bs.

BJMills
12/09/2015 9:42pm,
If you have a gym with a bunch of different arts just let people rank in those arts. MMA is really a rule set, under that rule set people have vastly different approaches to a fight based on their strengths and weaknesses. Trying to codify something so diverse is bound to create more problems than it solves.

gold_ax666
12/10/2015 4:54am,
I have a few ideas on this:

1) grading tattoos. So every time someone progresses they have another stripe tattooed on their arm
2) forget the belt and have a 'sock' system. Everyone likes coloured socks
3) start at black belt and add stripes for every level achieved.
4) coloured gum shields. If people want their classmates to respect the grade they have to smile at them.
5) Hair dye. They colour their hair based on belt colour. Include a pink belt/ hair just for fun

This is all I can think of right now.

TheMightyMcClaw
12/10/2015 12:12pm,
There are a couple of places that will do an in-house ranking system. Personally, I think it's a terrible idea, and we should be moving away from belt ranks, not towards them.

Mandem
12/10/2015 5:02pm,
Look at all the stuff that's happening with GJJ belts. I really don't think belts are a great idea overall.

notfromvenus
12/10/2015 7:02pm,
I went to watch a class near Waukegan one night; the instructor was sporting a GOLD belt and they had some people with CAMO belts. They told me that if I was from a traditional system, that I wouldn't be able to understand their system; I didn't care to understand that bs.

I saw a video on some submission hold taught by a guy in a camo GI. IIRC, it wasn't even Army camo, but rather hunting camo, like he was going to armbar a deer. I don't remember what color his belt was.... maybe I couldn't see it because it was camoflaged, lol.

FatC
12/16/2015 10:08am,
A lot of schools around me have a grading system for mma and no-gi. They use shirts instead or belts.

I honestly don't like it. I can see the business side of it though.

Kravbizarre
12/16/2015 2:49pm,
If you are grading for a belt then it usually costs you money (well where i live anyway). So belts in mma serve no other purpose but to make money and the student to feel better. Truth is if you are a black belt in mma does that mean you should be a machine in the ufc?

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
12/21/2015 10:44am,
In the U.S there's no (federal) uniform ranking system and it will probably never ever come into life.

Where I'm from (Belgium) there is a uniform belt ranking system through the NGB for Muay Thai, Kickboxing and MMA.
Since NGB's are supervised to certain extend by the Department of Sports (through cheap insurances, club sponsorship and National Team sponsorship), you could make the case that the belt system is Nationally approved and maintained.

The belts are:
- white belt
- yellow belt
- orange belt
- green belt
- blue belt
- purple belt
- brown belt
- black belt

Each belt has a minimum requirement of knowledge (combat techniques) associated to it, with on purple and brown belt level also First Aid training, coaching and administration (how to run a club) are added.
Exams from white belt to brown belt are done inhouse. Some clubs wear an actual belt (a very thin one), some where a piece of cloth around their upper arm, most clubs won't wear anything, but your level is noted in your membership records at the NGB.
To obtain the black belt you will have to do an exam in front of a commission of the NGB. Exams are scheduled once a year with a retake exam scheduled 6 months later for people who failed the first one.

The benefits are that people can be better matched against each other during training (the real purpose of belts), to verify that only from a certain level people can do competitions (safety), when you switch clubs the new instructor has a grasp of what your minimum level should be and that black belts can be looked up on the website of the NGB.
See it as a quality control tool and safety tool.

The disadvantage is that there are still clubs that aren't connected to the NGB, some of those clubs are good, some of them clubs are bad.
Most fights are sanctioned by the NGB and entry to those fights (as a competitor) requires membership to the NGB.
The minimum curriculum is set by the NGB, so it takes more effort to make changes to it, but since there isn't a maximum curriculum, it won't stop a trainer to teach more techniques at a level than the minimum.

Maybe a disadvantage in the future: most first gen MMA black belts come from a background of mixing different martial arts (Muay Thai, Wrestling, Judo, BJJ), so they have a wider body of knowledge to pick techniques from to use in a fight.
There could be a chance that MMA gets water downed by a second or third gen MMA black belts that only know the bare minimum, but that's something that we can only see how it will evolve over the coming next years.

Magpie McGee
12/21/2015 3:07pm,
MMA is first and foremost a competitive sport, just like boxing, wrestling, and Muay Thai. Therefore, there's only one belt that matters: the one the champ wears. If you want to award a belt, do so in a martial art with an established tradition of it, but if you want to tell me you're a black belt in MMA, I'm going to think that you're an idiot and a ***** who wants to claim the status of a fighter without fighting.

goodlun
12/21/2015 3:15pm,
MMA is first and foremost a competitive sport, just like boxing, wrestling, and Muay Thai. Therefore, there's only one belt that matters: the one the champ wears. If you want to award a belt, do so in a martial art with an established tradition of it, but if you want to tell me you're a black belt in MMA, I'm going to think that you're an idiot and a ***** who wants to claim the status of a fighter without fighting.

Blah blah blah, plenty of combat sports also have belts. Belts can be useful in setting up more sporting competition.
You know what? Wrestling Boxing, Muay Thai... Have different divisions from novice to Pro.
They are pretty much the same damn thing as a belt.