PDA

View Full Version : Post your crazy Martial Arts encounters here

plasma
11/06/2015 5:07am,
I've posted this before, however I'll repost to get everyone started.

In 2003 I was doing an mix of different Martial Arts at the beginner level. Due to being a full-time student at college was I was doing No-Gi Jiu Jitsu at a club, Doing Japanese Jujutsu and Ninpo Taijutsu at home during my breaks from school and taking Immediate Tae Kwon Do as my Gym credit. In the class was the local townie that was your typical, I hold more Black Belts then you can imagine, in styles you never heard of. One of these black belts was in a Monkey Style Grappling Kung Fu and he liked to fancy himself “a grappler.” He would often jump at the TKDers during sparring and grapple and clinch with them. He lived at the edge of the college town. He was the “cool kid” with the fight club running out of his barn. Now his fight club was invite only, and he was undefeated. This is only a few years after the movie and Fight Club were cool.

One day, after the TKD class he tells everyone to stay after. We are going to do some sparring because he wants to see if anyone is worthy of an invite to his fight club. I, of course, stay after. We circle up and he points to me, we are going to fight. Now I really need to set this scene. Two 21 year olds, 1 in a Black Gi with Tabi (I'm a fucking ninja!), the other with a Kung Fu slash and a dirty white shirt surrounded by TKDers are about to face off Fight Club style. Yes, it was that silly.

Now remember, he was “a grappler.” He starts the match by jumping in and trying to put me in a school yard headlock. Seriously, this I have more black belts then you can count tries to headlock me. Of course my Jiu Jitsu training kicks in and I take his back, and Rear Naked Choke till he taps. The TKDers are stunned and I leave. I find out next class that he doesn’t want me at his Fight Club and he was saying that if were a real fight he would of headbutted me out of my RNC.

gold_ax666
11/06/2015 9:11am,
1) as a long time TKDist one of our really crap blue belts left the club and resurfaced months later as a 10th degree black belt ninja (I located him as having undertaken one distance grading on ninjutsu.com under superior lord head master Van Donk at this time. Must've been ad admin error). It was beyond ludicrous. For reasons unbeknown to me my TKD instructor actually let him do a seminar at our club. He used me to demonstrate a technique which ended up in [some technique which I don't remember] and I ended up choking him out. He was in mount. I was on my back. I has literally no MA training outside of TKD at the time. He has since disappeared again. This may actually mean he is getting better at being a ninja....

2) Whilst working for the local paper I once had a meeting with the local Kixa representative. I was invited to the class. After the meeting I Googled Kixa. I never went to the class. A shudder still runs up my spine when I think what might have happened...

3) Whilst enjoying having recently passed my 2nd degree black belt for ITF TKD a chap came to our class to try it whilst we were having a friendly little club tournament. He was into 'street fighting' he said (he also did Tang Soo Do). He and I ended up sparring and he kept grabbing my leg when I kicked. He was informed several times that he wasn't allowed to do this and he replied that that wasn't fair, he was a street fighter and it wasn't fair to take his techniques away. He was politely told that HE has turned up to a TKD lesson so should really accept that rules are rules in these things but, that if he really wanted to go 'all in' my instructor would be happy for him to do this against me. My instructor used to enjoy throwing me into these things. At this time of my MA journey I had spent just over 2 years training at a local MMA gym 3 times per week as well as my TKD. Fucknuts didn't consider this and got dumped on his arse about 5 times in a minute. He was full up on humble pie after that and said he'd be honoured to join our class as we kick arse at TKD (lol). He never returned. Shame. I was massively impressed that he shook my hand and asked to learn with us afterwards.

gold_ax666
11/06/2015 9:16am,
Actually while I think about it I went to tournament up in Leeds recently. It was 'combat jiu jitsu'. There were lots of off shoot styles there all from Japanese JJ. We were lined up and chatting a bit waiting for events to begin and one of the guys asked me what I did and I said I do BJJ. He and his mate looked at each other and then he said 'Oh ****......'

lol, I just thought his response was brilliant! If he thought BJJ was that dangerous I don't get why he was standing there with his JJJ black belt on representing his club and not seeking out a BJJ club!

Cake of Doom
11/06/2015 9:33am,
I just had to google Kixa and it's all your fault!

gold_ax666
11/06/2015 10:03am,
I just had to google Kixa and it's all your fault!

Mate. Kixa. That's a whole new level of cult. I'm not sure what's worse, Kixa or Yellow Bamboo. They're two levels of fucked up right there.

I love doing my research on martial arts and once you get into reading about Kixa and Lionel Nasution (Kateda) and Mount Bromo you realise that there really are people out there who are Speshul with a capital 'R'.

FatC
11/06/2015 10:09am,
I've got a few ha ha. We go and cross train at a gym with a bunch of other schools. A guy i train with that's learning catch with me was rolling with another guy there. There was a notable experience difference....my guy has about 3 years experience and the other guy had 6 months experience. My guy was not being a d-bag and rolling at the same level as the newer guy. He gets a double wristlock (kimura) gives the guy time to get out of it and finishes with short arm scissors (bicep slicer). They start again he locks up a double wristlock and lets the guy wrestle out of it and transitions to other holds....eventually going for an arm bar. About this time a training partner of the newer guy comes up and starts coaching him. The round ends and the training partner of the newer guy was showing him what he did wrong. Showed him how to escape a Kimura from bottom side control while saying a good grappler (like himself) wouldn't get finished with that. Had my buddy put the short arm scissor on him and told his guy a good grappler like me wouldn't tap to this. My buddy looks at me and shrugs. My buddy puts the hold on and starts applying the pressure and the guy starts wincing in pain so he lets up. By now we are pretty annoyed by the guy. He then asks is any " really experienced grapplers" want to roll.....ignoring my buddy that already on the mat. He looks to me....i nod and get on the mat. I took that as an insult to my buddy so i was pretty much done with this guy. We start...i give up my back and immediately lock up a double wristlock. Roll over to pin him to the ground to finish it. He looks at me with disbelief. We start again and i do the same thing. At this point we start standing....I get the takedown and scramble to a toe hold for the finish. Start again from his guard....I start setting up a straight ankle going for the reap. He stops me mid rolling as I'm going to reap his leg to tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to finish it. I told him i was reaping his leg for control. We start again and the timer goes off as I'm getting control of his leg. He pretty much avoided us for the rest of the time. I could hear him giving tips to others as the night went on. My buddy and I rolled with the newer guy a few more times and helped give him some pointers. He was a really nice kid. Started not too long ago but had really good instincts.

gileanofgrey
11/06/2015 1:45pm,
So my cousin a 4th degree blackbelt in tae kwon do had gotten in a few fights with non fighters and won. This happened because they would pick on his brother and of course he'd defend them and won, and had assume that against a "train fighter" he'd do well, this is where I kinda come in.

So my uncle starts bragging how his son is going to be an olympian and that he has never lost a fight etc. My mom says well you know that gilean here he is a martial artist too. Now bare in mind my cousin is 6'4 with long legs and in essence built for tae kwon do. I am 5'11 and built for what I learned which is mostly karate and judo although I like others here have walked the "ninja" route. Anyhow, so my uncle convinces me and my cousin to "go at it" which neither one of us wanted until he said winner gets 500$ which I know he was good for, and at this point I was like "eh might as well give em a show".

So my cousin comes at me with all kinds of kicks, most aimed right at my head. I don't know if he decided that an axe kick would be appropriate but he threw it, and I got underneath it and brought him to the ground where I instantly caught him in an arm bar which forces him to tap.

My uncle proceeds to reneg on the deal saying I didn't "beat him" in a fight so much as just submitted him, that if we had stayed fighting hand to hand it would have been a different outcome. I told him if he doubles his amount and actually pays up I will keep it straight up a standing game only. To which he declined and my cousin didn't want said rematch.

To this day I feel jipped, this was about eh.... 8 years ago?

BKR
11/06/2015 2:19pm,
This one isn't so crazy, but at the time it seemed crazy to me.

Back in the '80s, when I had started Judo, my sensei at the time had broken into the national level Judo competition scene. He had been going to the US OTC in Colorado Springs, Colorado to train, and for competitions (the US Open, various trials, and the old Sports Festival).

Anyway, to give you an idea of our level of funding, we would ride his BMW 1000 motorcycle up there from Texas, and camp on the side of the road, LOL ! We usually had a place to stay once we got there with friends of his, though.

So one of those trips, I'm pretty sure it was the first one I went on, we roll into the OTC (the dojo is in the lower level/basement) one day after spending the night on the road. We both need a shower and a shave. We go down and let the head coach at the time we had arrived (I was a tag along sankyu/nikkyu so didn't really count), and went to see what was going on.

So the guys were training (there were women too), and we watched a bit. I watched to nationally ranked judoka doing randori. If I mentioned names, some of you might recognize them, but I won't.

Anyway, these guys are going at it pretty hard. Realize that they are in two different weigh classes, one was I think -60 kg, the other -65 kg. Both are nationlly ranked and on the same USOTC "Team".

So guy one goes for an Uchi Mata (it's a left versus right situation), guy 2 slips, guy 1 continues into a straight armbar in one motion and slams guy 2's elbow hard, causing it to pop audibly.

So I look at my sensei and he is like, yeah, and those guys are teammates...

I managed to survive but only because he assigned a guy to watch out for me, which ended up in some hilarious situations of me being force-ably separated from people who wanted to randori with the cannon fodder. One guy got to me though an I went for a Uchi mata ride for 5 solid minutes. He didn't land on me, thankfully, but wasn't holding back otherwise.

gileanofgrey
11/06/2015 3:30pm,

Back in the '80s, when I had started Judo, my sensei at the time had broken into the national level Judo competition scene. He had been going to the US OTC in Colorado Springs, Colorado to train, and for competitions (the US Open, various trials, and the old Sports Festival).

Anyway, to give you an idea of our level of funding, we would ride his BMW 1000 motorcycle up there from Texas, and camp on the side of the road, LOL ! We usually had a place to stay once we got there with friends of his, though.

So one of those trips, I'm pretty sure it was the first one I went on, we roll into the OTC (the dojo is in the lower level/basement) one day after spending the night on the road. We both need a shower and a shave. We go down and let the head coach at the time we had arrived (I was a tag along sankyu/nikkyu so didn't really count), and went to see what was going on.

So the guys were training (there were women too), and we watched a bit. I watched to nationally ranked judoka doing randori. If I mentioned names, some of you might recognize them, but I won't.

Anyway, these guys are going at it pretty hard. Realize that they are in two different weigh classes, one was I think -60 kg, the other -65 kg. Both are nationlly ranked and on the same USOTC "Team".

So guy one goes for an Uchi Mata (it's a left versus right situation), guy 2 slips, guy 1 continues into a straight armbar in one motion and slams guy 2's elbow hard, causing it to pop audibly.

I managed to survive but only because he assigned a guy to watch out for me, which ended up in some hilarious situations of me being force-ably separated from people who wanted to randori with the cannon fodder. One guy got to me though an I went for a Uchi mata ride for 5 solid minutes. He didn't land on me, thankfully, but wasn't holding back otherwise.

So this may be hard to explain without images but i'll try. One time I did an ipon seionage on a heavier guy at the time I weighed eh about 160 this dude was pushing 200 and I did it on my right side. So as he's about to hit the mat he somehow like curls himself into a ball so once I but him down due to the speed I find myself falling and do a forward roll, well this guy starts to roll as well and ends up on top of me... that didn't bother me so much, but what did bother me was that his junk ended up an inch from my face. That was the last day I ever did Judo...

gileanofgrey
11/06/2015 3:30pm,

So this may be hard to explain without images but i'll try. One time I did an ipon seionage on a heavier guy at the time I weighed eh about 160 this dude was pushing 200 and I did it on my right side. So as he's about to hit the mat he somehow like curls himself into a ball so once I but him down due to the speed I find myself falling and do a forward roll, well this guy starts to roll as well and ends up on top of me... that didn't bother me so much, but what did bother me was that his junk ended up an inch from my face. That was the last day I ever did Judo...

Azatdawn
11/06/2015 3:40pm,
So you were in one of those Judo classes where they do randori naked, right?

gileanofgrey
11/06/2015 4:05pm,
So you were in one of those Judo classes where they do randori naked, right?

Yes in fact, I remember we would have to practice on either side left/right ipon seionage 50 times on the strong 100 times on the weak side before we could even try it against an uke and how horrible I truly was at executing the technique on moving opponent. In this case I guess the guy not wanting to be laid out decided to try to rock out of it and the momentum I used was too much so it dropped me, I rolled, and he rolled, and well he landed on top of me...freaking halo tea bag basically...im still warped from that day.

BKR
11/06/2015 4:27pm,

Judo isn't for people who have issues with close physical contact with other human beings...

gileanofgrey
11/06/2015 4:46pm,
Judo isn't for people who have issues with close physical contact with other human beings...

The thing that's funny is that generally I don't have that issue, I actually enjoyed the randori because it built my stamina especially when running from all the consistent moving. I just couldn't handle balls in my face...which in hindsight shouldn't stop me as **** happens in fights. Shows how petty I am.